Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2012-13 Season Ratings - Spring

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:17 AM

Just in case anyone cares...

'Cult' Canceled by CW and Replaced by 'Oh Sit' and 'The Carrie Diaries' Reruns

http://tvbythenumber...-reruns/177335/

Unfortunate, but not at all surprising. The show-within-a-show ideas was just too complex I guess. :(

Maybe it just wasn't entertaining. :)
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,407 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

Here's the sixth Wednesday of Spring 2013 compared to the Spring 2013 averages for new episodes of the regularly scheduled show:

Posted Image
If you wish to see Wednesdays during the entire Spring, click on the image above.

Posted Image

Fox's "American Idol" saw an increase last night, though the two hour ratings of 3.2/9 - 11.98 were still well below last year's 5.0/14 - 16.81.

CBS shows continued to give the network the #2 slot for the night, with the venerable "CSI" running #1 at 10 pm. As usual, "Criminal Minds" ran #3 in the demo for the 9:00 half hour behind "Idol" and "Modern Family", returning to #2 at 9:30.

ABC's comedy lineup performed as expected. "How to Live With Your Parents (For the Rest of Your Life)" at 9:30 slipped from its premier last week but is performing stronger than "Suburgatory."

NBC ran reruns except for "Dateline" at 8 pm.

The CW ran reruns.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#63 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,407 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

Here's the seventh Thursday of Spring 2013 compared to the Spring 2013 averages for new episodes of the regularly scheduled show:

Posted Image
If you wish to see Thursdays during the entire Spring, click on the image above.

Posted Image

CBS gave everyone else a pass by running reruns. So reruns of the network's shows ranked by the half hour as follows:

8:00 #1 in the demo, #2 in total viewers
8:30 #2 in the demo, #2 in total viewers
9:00 #3 in the demo, #1 in total viewers
9:30 #2 in the demo, #1 in total viewers
10:00 #2 in the demo, #1 in total viewers
10:30 #2 in the demo, #1 in total viewers

Any way you look at it, that's a strong lineup.

Fox's "American Idol" lost in the demo in the 8 pm half hour to a rerun of "Big Bang Theory." Last year for the hour it pulled 4.2/13 - 15.35 compared to this year's 3.1/10 - 12.75. "Glee" ran slightly higher than average, but that was against a rerun of both "Grey's Anatomy" and "Person of Interest".

ABC's new episode of "Wife Swap" and reruns of "Grey's Anatomy" and "Scandal" weren't very popular.

NBC's second episode of "Hannibal" scored essentially the same ratings as the premier but that wasn't a good sign as last night it was against two reruns. The "Go On" season finale ran below its average ratings on Tuesday and lost viewers from "The Office." I presume NBC is trying to save the show so they can use it next year to destroy their ratings on one night or another.

The CW ran reruns.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#64 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

Is there a thread that tracks ratings for the premium channels? Just curious, as I think GoT (Game of Thrones) has a legitamate shot at dethroning (*snickers*) True Blood on HBO as #1 this year.

#65 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,407 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:44 AM

Is there a thread that tracks ratings for the premium channels? Just curious, as I think GoT (Game of Thrones) has a legitamate shot at dethroning (*snickers*) True Blood on HBO as #1 this year.

The short answer is no. Cable ratings do include premium channel shows. But they aren't real useful even for bragging rights.

For instance, TV-by-the-Numbers offers lists like this which has "Game of Thrones" at #5 for the week well behind A&E's "Duck Dynasty" and just ahead of the History Channel's "Swamp People." Also, shows are repeated multiple times each week which is not reflected in the ratings.

While the premiums do look at ratings to see what their customers watch, decisions about shows tend to be made for a variety of reasons. HBO, for instance, can air shows that appeal niche audiences among their subscribers. Advertisers don't get to set the agenda. I like that economic model.

My AV Setup

#66 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,407 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:43 PM

I'm running a bit late with this one and I'm still waiting for finals on Sunday because of the CBS overrun on the Masters. Here's the seventh Friday of Spring 2013 compared to the Spring 2013 averages for new episodes of the regularly scheduled show:

130412ratings.jpg

If you wish to see Thursdays during the entire Spring, click on the image above.

130412avgs.jpg

Truthfully, there's not much to talk about here. ABC's "Happy Endings" is headed towards its unhappy ending, The same appears to be true for CBS' "Vegas".

Edited by phrelin, 15 April 2013 - 11:43 PM.

My AV Setup

#67 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 654 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

Just sat down to watch the mentalist and of course I get a scroll saying it will be starting 56 mins late. Why not just let it air next week instead of having east coast and central time zone DVRs miss it? Of course I didn't pad my timer like in football season, but if CBS doesn't allot the correct times for their sports, they should just show a movie on those nights.

Edited by dennispap, 16 April 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#68 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,407 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

Just sat down to watch the mentalist and of course I get a scroll saying it will be starting 56 mins late. Why not just let it air next week instead of having east coast and central time zone DVRs miss it? Of course I didn't pad my timer like in football season, but if CBS doesn't allot the correct times for their sports, they should just show a movie on those nights.

Yes, it isn't really fair to fans of a show to run a show late. But then again, CBS would probably prefer to get a DVR viewer to watch it streaming from their web site as they apparently get credit of ad views.

Here's the seventh Friday of Spring 2013 compared to the Spring 2013 averages for new episodes of the regularly scheduled show:

130414ratings.jpg

If you wish to see Sundays during the entire Spring, click on the image above.

130414avgs.jpg

CBS, as noted previously, had a 57 minute overrun of The Masters Tournament. This affected the regular viewing time for all shows in the Eastern and Central time zones, with "The Mentalist" essentially running in the 11:00 pm hour. In the tables above, the shows are listed in their regular times like those of us further west saw them. All things considered, however, those shows didn't do badly and they all will be back next year anyway.

Fox's Sunday animated lineup performed decently in the demo as it has been.

ABC basically ran reruns.

NBC essentially has a two hour Sunday - "Celebrity Apprentice" from 9-11 pm. It's cheap programming and performs adequately.

My AV Setup

#69 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,407 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

Here's the seventh Monday of Spring 2013 compared to the Spring 2013 averages for new episodes of the regularly scheduled show:

130415ratings.jpg

If you wish to see Mondays during the entire Spring, click on the image above.

130415avgs.jpg

NBC won the night with "The Voice" doing very well and at 10 pm with a news special on the Boston Marathon Bombing. There are pros and cons about doing the news special. The cons are that local affiliates end up running a repeat of the most important news story of the day and regular "Revolution" live viewers end up feeling like they don't matter. But who cares about affiliates and the loyal viewers of one of the network's few shows with decent ratings? Certainly not Comcast/NBC.

ABC in a close race beat CBS for #2 in the demo for the night because "Castle" outperforms "Hawaii Five-0". ABC edged out NBC in the 50+ crowd because of "Castle" and clobbered CBS in that age group which CBS wins on most nights.

CBS. "How I Met Your Mother" ran #2 in the demo and "Two Broke Girls" tied for #2 in the demo. Spring Mondays are turning out to be the weakest night for CBS against two popular reality competition shows.

Fox's "Bones" had two strong weeks this Spring. Then ABC premiered "DWTS"  and the following week NBC premiered "The Voice." Short of running "American Idol" on Mondays, there just isn't much they can do. The same thing can be said about "The Following."

The CW premiered "Oh Sit!" last night. I left the averages for The Carrie Diaries so we could see that essentially the premier of "Oh Sit!" pulled about the same audience. They are now burrning of the rest of the final season of "90210" at 9 pm.

My AV Setup

#70 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,407 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

Well, had a tooth pulled and the novocaine is still working. So maybe I'll do this right.

Here's the seventh Tuesday of Spring 2013 compared to the Spring 2013 averages for new episodes of the regularly scheduled show:

130416ratings.jpg

If you wish to see Tuesdays during the entire Spring, click on the image above.

130416avgs.jpg

CBS ran reruns of "NCIS" and "NCIS:LA" but flipped their time slots. I assume this gives them some information.  "Golden Boy" seems to have found its audience.

NBC continues to do well with its hour and one minute of "The Voice." However, "Ready for Love" ran like this:

9:00: 1.8/ 5 - 4.76

9:30: 1.2/ 3 - 3.14

10:00: 1.2/ 3 - 2.92

10:30: 1.0/ 3 - 2.68

That's not very promising for the future.

ABC's "Splash" is losing its struggle not to drown. "Dancing with the Stars: Results Show" did about average. "Body of Proof" also has found its audience, apparently slightly fewer demo viewer than "Golden Boy", but slightly more 50+ viewers.

Fox's "Hell's Kitchen" performed about average in the demo. They ran reruns in the 9 pm hour.

The CW's "Hart of Dixie" met expectations.

My AV Setup

#71 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,407 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

Here's the seventh Wednesday of Spring 2013 compared to the Spring 2013 averages for new episodes of the regularly scheduled show:

130417ratings.jpg

If you wish to see Wednesdays during the entire Spring, click on the image above.

130417avgs.jpg

Fox's "American Idol" ran 4.7/13 - 16.47 last year compared to  3.3/9  - 12.45 this year.  It was still good for bragging rights to the 8-10 pm race winning all four half hours in the demo and 50+ crowd, but against many reruns.

CBS. "Survivor" at 8 pm ran #2 in both the demo and 50+ crowd in both half hours. The "Criminal Minds" rerun at 9 pm ran #3 in the demo and #2 in the 50+ crowd in both half hours. And the "Elementary" rerun at 10 pm ran #1 in the demo and 50+ crowd. That combination gave CBS the 8--11 pm bragging rights.

ABC ran two new episodes of "Suburgatory" during the 8 pm hour, including the season finale. Given how this show was scheduled and rescheduled its average ratings aren't bad so I would guess it will be renewed - I'm just unsure how ABC will schedule next year. "How to Live with Your Parents" continues to edge downward towards the norm for the time slot. ABC ran reruns the rest of the night  which still gave it an edge over...

NBC. "Dateline" continues to run #4 at 8 pm as did the rerun of "L&O:SVU" at 9 pm. The rerun of "Chicago Fire" edged out "Nashville" for #2 in all age groups.

The CW ran reruns.

Edited by phrelin, 18 April 2013 - 11:31 AM.

My AV Setup

#72 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,407 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

Here's the eighth Thursday of Spring 2013, the last before May Sweeps starts, compared to the Spring 2013 averages for new episodes of the regularly scheduled show:

130418ratings.jpg

If you wish to see Fridays during the entire Spring, click on the image above.

130418avgs.jpg

CBS. This was a strange Thursday. In the demo, the reruns of "Big Bang Theory" at 8 pm and 9 pm won their half hours as did the rerun of "2 Broke Girls" at 9:30. The rerun of "Two and a Half Men" came in second. And the rerun of "Person of Interest" won the 10 pm hour.

Fox's "American Idol" came in #2 in the demo in the 8 pm half hour against a rerun on CBS and a new "Glee" finished #2 in both its half hours against reruns on CBS.

ABC's "Wife Swap" ran #3 in both its half hours, while a rerun of "Grey's Anatomy" ran #4 ahead of The CW and a "Scandal" rerun finished last in its hour.

NBC's Where's Waldo Schedule running two new "Parks and Recreation" episodes at 9:00 and 9:30 actually increased that show's new episode average ratings for the Spring. The new episode of "Hannibal" at 10 pm lost to a rerun on CBS.

The CW Thursday lineup ran around average in the demo.

My AV Setup

#73 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,407 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

While I just posted Thursday (above) today, Friday will have no ratings.

Because of what is now being called the "Boston Bomber" live news coverage preempting the regular schedule, Friday ratings are not available. Reports indicate NBC News coverage did beat the others.

My AV Setup

#74 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

The news on NBC seems to be their one bright spot with them winning the evening news most of the time.

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#75 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,407 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

Seems like I've gotten a bit behind here. Life sometimes gets in the way of DBSTalk posting.

Here's the eighth Sunday of Spring 2013, the last before May Sweeps starts, compared to the Spring 2013 averages for new episodes of the regularly scheduled show:

130421ratings.jpg

If you wish to see Sundays during the entire Spring, click on the image above.

130421avgs.jpg

CBS won the 50+ crowd in every half hour, won the demo in the first two hours, tied for #1 in the demo in the 10 pm hour and was #3 in the demo in the 9 pm hour. "The Good Wife" just can't seem to get demo viewers. I'm not sure whether that's because if you ignore the Florick kids, the average age of the cast is over 40, and many are well over 40. Or whether the combination of subject matter - marriage, politics, and law firms - are passé.

ABC's "Once Upon A Time" seems to keep slipping.

Fox ran a mix of new episodes and reruns of its animated lineup and the ratings seemed adequate.

NBC's new Sunday oddball 9-11 pm two hour schedule offering only "Celebrity Apprentice" with new episodes sort of works as the costs for the night are cheap. And while "Celebrity Apprentice" doesn't do well in the 50+ crowd, it tied "The Mentalist" for demo bragging rights.

Here's the eighth Monday of Spring 2013, the last before May Sweeps starts, compared to the Spring 2013 averages for new episodes of the regularly scheduled show:

130422ratings.jpg

If you wish to see Mondays during the entire Spring, click on the image above.

130422avgs.jpg

NBC has clawed its way back to one decent night as "The Voice" gives it a definite demo win and "Revolution" is #2 at 10 pm.

ABC clearly has the 50+ crowd in all three hours and the demo win at 10 pm.

Fox. While "Bones" has decent ratings all things considered, it was #3 for the night. "The Following" edged out "Dancing with the Stars" for #2. What will happen during the May Sweeps when CBS runs new episodes is unclear.

CBS ran reruns.

The CW. What can one say?

Here's the eighth Tuesday of Spring 2013, the last before May Sweeps starts, compared to the Spring 2013 averages for new episodes of the regularly scheduled show:

130423ratings.jpg

If you wish to see Tuesdays during the entire Spring, click on the image above.

130423avgs.jpg

CBS. While CBS won the night overall, "Golden Boy" is weak, now losing to "Body of Proof." That doesn't bode well for a renewal.

NBC's "the Voice" continues to perform.

ABC's "Body of Proof" continues to surprise.

Fox continues to rely on "Hells Kitchen" for decent, not great, ratings at 8 pm. The two 9 pm hour comedies were reruns.

The CW's "Hart of Dixie" hangs in there.

My AV Setup

#76 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,407 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

Here's the eighth Wednesday of Spring 2013, the last night before May Sweeps starts, compared to the Spring 2013 averages for new episodes of the regularly scheduled show:

130424ratings.jpg

130424avgs.jpg

Looking at this last Wednesday of the Spring 2013 season with May Sweeps to start tonight, there is little about the ratings to focus on.

"American Idol"  last year pulled 4.6/13 - 16.48 compared to this year's 3.2/ 9 - 12.18, so it was down about 30%. On the other hand "Survivor" was up since last year it pulled 2.6/8 - 9.53 compared to this year's 2.7/8 -  9.83. While CBS seems to have a reliable audience, Fox needs to worry about appealing to an audience that is limited by what I call the "squirrel" factor:

The only other rating of note is ABC's "How To Live With Your Parents" which in its fourth week is down to half its premier demo.

Edited by phrelin, 25 April 2013 - 01:15 PM.

My AV Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...