Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

List of Current Prices for Packages and Extras

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   etexlady

etexlady

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:13 PM

I've had Premier Package since I first signed on to DTV in 2007. However, paying $186 a month for many channels I do not watch and will never watch seems silly so I'm researching a downgrade. The DTV website does not make price comparisons easy. I want to switch to Choice Ultimate with the HD Extra Pack and HBO. I can find the prices for those with a little digging. If they will deal with me I would like to upgrade to Whole Home service and get a Genie with two clients.

Choice Ultimate $77.99
HBO 17.99
HD Extra Pack 4.99
Whole Home DVR 25.00
HD Service 10.00
Protection Plan 7.99

for a total of approx. $144. I'm not certain about the whole home DVR charge. Would there be additional charges for the Genie and the two clients or is that included in the $25 fee?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

Actually, the $25 Advanced Receiver Fee includes the DVR fee, HD fee, and Whole Home.

There's a $6 charge for each receiver except for the first one (including Clients).

So, your breakdown would be:

CU: $77.99
HBO: $17.99
HDEP: $4.99
ARF: $25
PP: $7.99
Additional Receivers: $12

Total: $146

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

A couple of notes:

1. Make sure you look into the installation charges and lease entry fees on the Genie and clients. This cost isn't very predictable.

2. There seems to be some uncertainty about whether the full $25 ARF applies to existing customers yet; make sure you ask (and kindly report back).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   etexlady

etexlady

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

Thanks, guys. I currently have two HD receivers (HR20-700; HR22-100) and a SD receiver (R15-100) so I assume my idea to replace all with a Genie and 2 clients is workable? I'll probably upgrade the television to which the SD receiver is attached to a HD unit (it's in the bedroom and not watched very often). Am I correct in thinking the fees would be less if I just moved one of the current HD receivers to the bedroom TV and replace the others with a Genie and one client?

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,233 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

Your monthly recurring fees would be the same whether you have a Genie and 2 clients, A Genie, one HR2x unit and one client, or a Genie and two HR units.

In your case, unless you are having problems with either of the HR2x units, I would drop the R15 and add the Genie and keep the other two DVRs.

#6 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

Why are you guys Paying $7.99 for the protection plan. Mine is only $5.99 and yes I'm alreading into the new pricing.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#7 OFFLINE   etexlady

etexlady

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

In your case, unless you are having problems with either of the HR2x units, I would drop the R15 and add the Genie and keep the other two DVRs.

Forgive my ignorance about how the Genie works but how would installing a Genie and keeping the two DVRs be beneficial? More recording time perhaps or ability to record more shows at one time?

#8 OFFLINE   etexlady

etexlady

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

Why are you guys Paying $7.99 for the protection plan. Mine is only $5.99 and yes I'm alreading into the new pricing.

My mistake, I pay $5.99 as well.

#9 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

Biggest benefit is the extra rooms down steal one of your 5 tuners. Second benefit is if you lose your hard drive, you dont lose all your shows (assuming you record your important stuff on both the genie and one of the DVRs)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#10 OFFLINE   usafa92

usafa92

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

How does the Genie work? It has 5 tuners inside and is able to share recordings with multiple other boxes simultaneously?

#11 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,233 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

How does the Genie work? It has 5 tuners inside and is able to share recordings with multiple other boxes simultaneously?

The Genie has 5 tuners. It is able to stream via whole-home/MRV a maximum of 3 shows simultaneously to other units. Those other units can be other H/HR series boxes, or they can be C31 RVU clients (or Samsung TV RVU clients).

If an RVU client is watching live TV, it is using one of the HR34 tuners.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...