Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anyone using Verizon Home Phone Connect?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

Maybe your wife should invest in a cell phone, so she can leave the house when she's on call occasionally.

Of course the Verizon Home Connect IS a cell phone. :lol: Just a cheap one at $20 a month with unlimited calling LD included. Try to get a cellphone that cheep... Actually both my wife and I do have cellphones (Verizon of course) and when we leave home the Home Connect is forwarded to one of the cellphones.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

90% reliable is terrible, and probably would rank at or near the bottom of reliability for all ISP's nationwide.

EDIT: Just for perspective, 90% reliability means your internet is down for 3 days per month, or over one month per year. Think about that.

Yeah you are correct, Mediacom Internet is not quite that bad. Let us say 97% reliable. :lol: Mediacom consistently rates as the worst of the worst in ISP customer satisfaction - See Consumer Reports. It is bad enough where I would not ever take their VOIP phone service - even if it was free. FWIW I do not use their TV service either - I use Directv..

The only other option for internet where I live is Frontier DSL (yes I have tried them - reliable but S L O W) at 3 mbps. Uhggggg

#23 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

Hogwash.

I haven't had an internet outage in probably 10 years. I don't ever remember going 10 years without a landline issue.

You have been lucky, I've had several outages with RoadRunner Internet. Some that lasted over night. I rarely had an outage with my AT&T pots line, except when it was cut a couple times. Ironically, once by Time Warner Cable when they were running new lines.

I now use Net-talk for VOIP, $30/year and it the CID works on my DVR's. I use Google voice with an out of state number that forwards to my Net-talk #, so my relatives can call me without long distance charges on their pots line.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#24 OFFLINE   Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

it fails over to cellular anyway, so no missed calls.

You just made my point about VOIP reliability. If you gotta have a cell phone for VOIP backup, why not just get a reliable cell connection with a Home Phone Connect to start with and forget the VOIP. :lol:

Here is another thought. When my electric power goes off Mediacom Internet does not have battery backup. Even though my PC and router/modem are on a big UPS I lose internet. When I had Frontier DSL this was not the case - Frontier Internet had battery backup.

All cell towers have battery backup and since the Home Phone Connect has a battery backup, telephone service continues. If I was using Mediacom VOIP I would not have telephone service in a power outage.

In the end everyone uses what works for them. VOIP just is not my idea of great phone service.

#25 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,439 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

Actually both my wife and I do have cellphones (Verizon of course) and when we leave home the Home Connect is forwarded to one of the cellphones.

You can forward VOIP calls to your cellphone too, so even in the very rare chance the internet was down, your wife would still receive her "on call" calls.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#26 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

You just made my point about VOIP reliability. If you gotta have a cell phone for VOIP backup, why not just get a reliable cell connection with a Home Phone Connect to start with and forget the VOIP. :lol:

Voip has a fail over because they have no control over the quality/reliability of the internet. I can count the number of times on one hand when a call forwarded to my wife's cell phone (no one ever calls me, so I set her cell as the fail over number). And your way has no backup; cell goes down and you are SOL.

#27 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 491 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

I'm thinking about switching out my landline phone for the Verizon Wireless Home Phone Connect.

I wouldnt buddy!

LANDLINES ARE MUCH BETTER!!!!!! -- If i had any say in the matter @ my house I would ask to please ditch this VOIP garbage we have and go back to Landline service as its MUCH BETTER!! (Doesnt drop calls,etc)

#28 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

I wouldnt buddy!

LANDLINES ARE MUCH BETTER!!!!!! -- If i had any say in the matter @ my house I would ask to please ditch this VOIP garbage we have and go back to Landline service as its MUCH BETTER!! (Doesnt drop calls,etc)

That statement is not true for everyone. I much prefer my VOIP to POTS. I get better sound quality, more features, and nearly the same reliability for a fraction of the cost.

If your internet connection is not reliable enough for VOIP, then yes, you should have a POTS line.

#29 Guest_clammage_*

Guest_clammage_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

Dude,

Verizon Home Phone Connect isn't VOIP. It's a cellphone, and nearly 100% reliable. Definitely more reliable than VOIP and probably more reliable than POTS depending on your environment (overhead phone lines, severe weather frequency, etc.).

I have a couple of these units. I will be dropping one for VOIP when my contract is up because of cost. But I'll be keeping the one I got for my parents because it's been 100% reliable the past 2 years, is portable and works in a moving car. If their modem dies at their home and they had VOIP, they would be SOL, unable to even call the cable company.

And if you're grandfathered, the Home Phone Connect is only $10/month on the old share plan, which is what I have. Ooma is only $3/month, so I'll be switching my home phone to that soon. I've had VOIP many times in the past and always had the issues you describe. But I'm willing to live with those issues to save money.

#30 OFFLINE   PeterB

PeterB

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

Just an FYI, make sure you get the F265 model and not the older F2260. Sound quality is much better and the 265 supports CallerID with name service, but Verizon charges $3/mo extra for it.

#31 OFFLINE   Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:12 AM

Just an FYI, make sure you get the F265 model and not the older F2260. Sound quality is much better and the 265 supports CallerID with name service, but Verizon charges $3/mo extra for it.

I am not sure what model I have (got it 22 months ago) but the audio quality is as good as any telephone I have owned. The sound quality depends on what you have plugged into the Home Phone Connect. If you have good quality phones it will sound fine.

I use a V-Tech cordless phone system with the Home Phone Connect. It has 4 cordless phones. I also have a Old non-battery princess type phone plugged into the HPC. This is because if I lose electrical power the cordless phones do not work even tho the Home Connect continues to work because of its internal battery. The princess phone works fine without power. Note that the Home Connect provides a off-hook dial tone unlike cellphones.

Caller ID works great with this setup without any extra cost. The Caller ID will get the persons name from the cordless phone's contact list, otherwise it just shows the phone number. In addition the V-Tech system announces the name or phone number in speech audio.

If you have Verizon Wireless cellphones you can share your minutes with the Home connect for $10 a month. For $20 a month you get a separate plan with unlimited, un-timed calling including Long Distance. This is a fantastic deal. I have this plan because my cellphone plan is basic with limited minutes. Also all Verizon to Verizon calls are un-timed, which means I can call home from my Verizon cellphone without minutes being charged.

As another poster has noted the Verizon Home Phone Connect is NOT VOIP. It is a cellphone interface to regular phones and if you are in an area (like me) that has good Verizon Wireless connect ability you will love this system. For 22 months it has been 100% reliable. My contract runs out in a couple of months and I definitely plan on continuing this great service.

Edited by Lazy Senior, 08 March 2013 - 07:24 AM.

#32 OFFLINE   drded

drded

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

On my DirecTV HR20-700 there is no way to disable the DVR's calling out feature if you want caller ID. So, every hour like clockwork the unit tries calling out twice at about 5 after and 40 after the hour. So when I get my Sprint Voice Connect bill there are pages and pages of the 1-800 calls.

Annoying to say the least, but the Sprint voice service has worked well. Like Verizon and AT&T, it is $20 a month.

Dave

5LNB Slimline
HR34-700 & HR24-200
HDMI > HDMI Switch > Toshiba DLP
NetGear Ethernet Switcher

#33 OFFLINE   Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:29 AM

On my DirecTV HR20-700 there is no way to disable the DVR's calling out feature if you want caller ID.

My 2 DVR's are not connected to my phone system. There is no reason to connect the telephone since the DVR's are networked to my router. My Caller ID comes thru my telephone (surprise) and is announced in speech audio.

#34 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,978 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

I went another way with a Xlink device hooked to my phone wiring. It pairs to my current cell phone when it is within bluetooth range (it can be configured for up to three cell phones). It passes the caller's phone number but only shows the name if it is in my phone's contact list. I had a few issues with an old cell phone but my newer one is quite compatible. Technical support has been excellent.

Edited by bobnielsen, 08 March 2013 - 10:16 AM.

#35 OFFLINE   Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

I went another way with a Xlink device hooked to my phone wiring. It pairs to my current cell phone when it is within bluetooth range (it can be configured for up to three cell phones).

There are quite a few of these on the market now. The drawback is it uses your cellphone minutes. However this would probably be a better way to go vs paying Verizon $10 a month to share cell minutes with the Home Connect.

My car has a similar hookup thru bluetooth. When i get in the car, the cellphone automatically connects to the radio system giving me hands off thru the radio cellphone use. Really works well and I can see it working equally well in the device you are talking about.

The best thing about the Home Phone Connect IMO is the $20 a month plan that gives you unlimited talk time free. No using expen$ive cellphone minutes.

#36 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:19 AM

On my DirecTV HR20-700 there is no way to disable the DVR's calling out feature if you want caller ID. So, every hour like clockwork the unit tries calling out twice at about 5 after and 40 after the hour. So when I get my Sprint Voice Connect bill there are pages and pages of the 1-800 calls.

Annoying to say the least, but the Sprint voice service has worked well. Like Verizon and AT&T, it is $20 a month.

Dave

Didn't realize that the DVR's call out that many times a month.

My 2 DVR's are not connected to my phone system. There is no reason to connect the telephone since the DVR's are networked to my router. My Caller ID comes thru my telephone (surprise) and is announced in speech audio.

May work for you, but for me the voice announce takes to long to determine who's calling. And I then you have to reach for the phone to look at the Caller ID to get it quicker. Having it right on the my TV is so much more convenient. Since you are "Lazy Senior", I would have thought you would prefer it on the TV. ;)
HR34-700, HR22-100

#37 OFFLINE   Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:27 AM

And I then you have to reach for the phone to look at the Caller ID to get it quicker. Having it right on the my TV is so much more convenient. Since you are "Lazy Senior", I would have thought you would prefer it on the TV. ;)

Ya gotta reach for the phone anyway - to answer it. Unless you are talking thru your TV. :lol::lol::lol:

#38 OFFLINE   drded

drded

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

Actually, when I see the number on the screen I often decide not to answer it.

The Do Not Call list is being ignored by more and more telemarketers.

I was told a couple years ago that if your DVR detected you were connected to the Internet it would not call out. Somebody forgot to tell the programmers that as mine is connected and still does call out. I wish it was just a menu item to disable calling out while still keeping the caller ID.

Dave

5LNB Slimline
HR34-700 & HR24-200
HDMI > HDMI Switch > Toshiba DLP
NetGear Ethernet Switcher

#39 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

Ya gotta reach for the phone anyway - to answer it. Unless you are talking thru your TV. :lol::lol::lol:

True, if its someone you know and want to talk to. For me, 9 x's out of 10, its telemarketing, polling or some other call I don't want to answer. Despite have my number on the "Do Not Call" list. :nono2:
HR34-700, HR22-100

#40 OFFLINE   Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

Actually, when I see the number on the screen I often decide not to answer it.

Lazy Senior is admittedly - Lazy. However his telephone (with Caller ID) is right next to his LAZY Boy recliner. He can see the phone just as easy as his TV. He don't need nor want Caller ID on the TV. He only needs to see who is calling in one place. Since he is a Senior, caller ID in two places would only confuse him. :rolleyes:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...