Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Flying with UPS

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,940 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

I'm moving. Flying out on Sunday. I'd like to take my UPS with me instead of shipping it, if possible. I'd have it in my checked luggage. Is this fine/safe? Of course, all the UPS companies are closed during the weekend. Delta is too, and I have a feeling if I asked them about flying with a UPS, they wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about. So if a TSA agent finds a 25 pound electronic in my checked luggage, is there going to be an issue?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,122 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:08 AM

My inclination would be to ship it UPS. But I guess if you want it there with you....

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,940 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:11 AM

My inclination would be to ship it UPS. But I guess if you want it there with you....

I kinda wanna use it immediately. However, I don't want another situation like when I flew in January when they made me throw away 3 bottles of unopened/sealed water lol "Yeah, just throw away your $200 UPS" lol

#4 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Not the Fist of Goodness

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:48 AM

At the very least, the battery would need to be disconnected. If you try to fly with it, you should be prepared to leave the battery behind.

#5 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:01 AM

Fedex it. I Fedex all my luggage now. The TSA risk is too great at the gate and the guys sifting through your luggage have first dibs on all electronics under the plane.

I carry my laptop and my Kindle and two days worth of clothing.

#6 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:20 AM

Fedex it. I Fedex all my luggage now. The TSA risk is too great at the gate and the guys sifting through your luggage have first dibs on all electronics under the plane.

I carry my laptop and my Kindle and two days worth of clothing.

2nd

#7 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:03 AM

3rded. Whether or not you're actually permitted to bring batteries of that size on a passenger plane, even disconnected, it's one of those things the nice untrained folks at the TSA would freak out about. FedEx it and save yourself the pain.

Edit: The answer's no. Anything larger than a drill battery is not supposed to be on the plane.

http://www.faa.gov/a...d_batteries.pdf

Edited by RasputinAXP, 02 March 2013 - 08:09 AM.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#8 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

In Loving Memory of My Beautiful Lisa

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,077 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Georgia

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

UPS your UPS ;)

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,297 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

3rded. Whether or not you're actually permitted to bring batteries of that size on a passenger plane, even disconnected, it's one of those things the nice untrained folks at the TSA would freak out about. FedEx it and save yourself the pain.

Edit: The answer's no. Anything larger than a drill battery is not supposed to be on the plane.

http://www.faa.gov/a...d_batteries.pdf

I see the answer as yes.

By the PDF:

Q. What kinds of batteries are allowed in checked baggage?
A. Except for spare (uninstalled) lithium batteries, all the batteries allowed in carry-on baggage are
also allowed in checked baggage. The batteries must be protected from damage and short
circuit or installed in a device. Battery-powered devices—particularly those with moving parts
or those that could heat up—should be protected from accidental activation. Spare lithium
batteries (both lithium metal and lithium ion/polymer) are prohibited in checked baggage.

Actually, UPS doesn't use Li-Ion battery (check your UPS,perhaps NiMH). All that limits mostly apply to battery with Li content.

#10 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,402 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

I'm in the "ship it" UPS or FedEx gang. If you are dead set on having a UPS available immediately upon relocation, spend the extra money, buying one at Sam's or even BB. You will probably always be aable to find a use for it.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#11 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,881 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

Or take the UPS and leave the battery. Find a Batteries Plus where you are going and buy a new one. Overweight baggage fees or shipping fees might make this the cheapest option.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#12 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 455 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

I see the answer as yes.

By the PDF:

Actually, UPS doesn't use Li-Ion battery (check your UPS,perhaps NiMH). All that limits mostly apply to battery with Li content.

UPS batteries are almost always of the sealed-lead-acid type. I personally wouldn't ever put them on the plane. Ever see the overcharge fees if you go over 50 lbs per bag? :eek2:

#13 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

Ship it. A UPS is only needed in rare circumstances. Doubtful you will need it at your destination before your bigger items arrive.

#14 OFFLINE   ts7

ts7

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

I'm in the "ship it" UPS or FedEx gang. If you are dead set on having a UPS available immediately upon relocation, spend the extra money, buying one at Sam's or even BB. You will probably always be aable to find a use for it.

For what it would cost to overnight on a carrier or to pay the overweight fees on an airline, you could probably just about buy a new one and leave the old one for the next resident.

#15 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

They don't like batterys and don't know one from another type so be safe and ship. I have had parts removed from my tool kit.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#16 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,693 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

+ 1 on the buy a new one when you get there. If you're going to ship one at all - then let it go with your other household goods. In the short term - you can probably get by just fine with a decent surge protector if you don't want to buy a new UPS.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#17 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

I see the answer as yes.

All of my UPSes are sealed lead-acid. No go for airplanes. They're definitely NOT NiMH.

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,297 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

All of my UPSes are sealed lead-acid. No go for airplanes. They're definitely NOT NiMH.

Why "no go" ? That regulation didn't prohibit SLA batteries.

#19 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

Wow. From the title, I thought this was going to be a whole 'nother discussion, along the lines of booking passage on a "tramp steamer" instead of a passenger ship, back before transoceanic jets.
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#20 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

Why "no go" ? That regulation didn't prohibit SLA batteries.

Yes it did.

Batteries allowed in carry-on baggage include:
• Dry cell alkaline batteries; typical AA, AAA, C, D, 9-volt, button sized cells, etc.
• Dry cell rechargeable batteries such as Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) and Nickel Cadmium (NiCad). For rechargeable lithium ion batteries; see next sentence.
• Lithium ion batteries (a.k.a.: rechargeable lithium, lithium polymer, LIPO, secondary lithium). Passengers may carry consumer-sized lithium ion batteries [no more than 8 grams of equivalent lithium content or 100 watt hours (wh) per battery]. This size covers AA, AAA, 9-volt, cell phone, PDA, camera, camcorder, Gameboy, and standard laptop computer batteries. Passengers can also bring two (2) larger lithium ion batteries (more than 8 grams, up to 25 grams of equivalent lithium content per battery) in their carry-on. This size covers larger extended-life laptop batteries. Most consumer lithium ion batteries are below this size.
• Lithium metal batteries (a.k.a.: non-rechargeable lithium, primary lithium).

A sealed lead-acid battery is none of those things. As for check baggage, "all the batteries allowed in carry-on baggage are also allowed in checked baggage." There's no allowance for a sealed lead-acid battery there, either.

spam firewall