Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Chicago ABC7

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:06 AM

I have a 722k DVR with the optional OTA module.

In the Chicago area ABC / WLS has been transmitting on both VHF 7 and UHF 44. They are going to shut down VHF 7 on March 18, 2013.

I saw a notice that I may have to rescan my TV on 3-18-2013 in order to get ABC. Obviously this will apply to my OTA module.

If I go to the Menu > local channel screen I can add a channel by specifying the transmit channel number. If I enter transmit #7 it displays channel #7. If I enter transmit # 44 it also displays channel #7. But I cannot verify what transmit number or frequency I currently am getting. I’m presuming it is VHF 7 since I saw the crawling banner on my TV.

Instead of scanning or adding/deleting another channel, is there a way to just change the ABC transmit # from 7 to 44?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:19 AM

Delete your channel 7 and manually add it back using rf44 and you should be good.

Sent from my DROIDX
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#3 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

I would still check on the 18th, they might not have moved the signal yet.

#4 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:57 AM

It's already being transmitted on 44 & has been for some time. Long, long time ago a lot of people, including myself, were getting two listings for ABC7 on those OTA convertor boxes. I also have double listings on my HTPC, but VHF7 shows up in the source listing ahead of UHF 44. So VHF 7 must be coming in a little stronger by me.

I'll add transmit 44 to the Dish locals & see what happens.

#5 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

I added transmit 44 to my OTA channels. It didn't really add, it replaced the previous EPG listing. The EPG used to display WLS-DT and now it shows WLS-HD.

Does it automatically add or replace the subchannels? I'm presuming it does because there is no separate option to add the subs. But you can separately delete the subs.

So far it works, at least as tuning in the channels. It appears the timers are still set to record but I'll keep a watch on those just to make sure.

#6 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

I added transmit 44 to my OTA channels. It didn't really add, it replaced the previous EPG listing. The EPG used to display WLS-DT and now it shows WLS-HD.

Does it automatically add or replace the subchannels? I'm presuming it does because there is no separate option to add the subs. But you can separately delete the subs.

So far it works, at least as tuning in the channels. It appears the timers are still set to record but I'll keep a watch on those just to make sure.

No it does not. If a channel is removed, you would need to delete it. If a channel is added, you need to rescan. Subs are added along with the main channel.

#7 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

No it does not. If a channel is removed, you would need to delete it. If a channel is added, you need to rescan. Subs are added along with the main channel.

I'm not sure I understand.

Isn't removing & deleting the same thing? I never removed a channel, I just added a transmit number. I figured I would make sure the new frequency works before deleting the old one. But the old call letters/name was automatically removed & replaced by the new name. I'm guessing this happened because both transmit numbers used the same channel number.

If I added a channel why do I still have to do a rescan? What would be the function of adding a channel?

#8 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

You MUST delete the old before adding the new especially when they are using the same virtual channel. It also should require you to recreate all the timers for that channel.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#9 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 704 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

You should probably not rescan until they turn off RF7. If you do, it might add RF7 back as the virtual 7.1.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#10 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:41 AM

You should probably not rescan until they turn off RF7. If you do, it might add RF7 back as the virtual 7.1.

That would be what I would suggest also.

spam firewall