Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish replace Sling Offer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Clarkjwc

Clarkjwc

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:57 AM

Dish is making me an offer to replace my HD Pro Slingbox.

[I]...
Our records indicate that you currently own a Slingbox. We recently launched the DISH Anywhere app, which allows you to watch TV anywhere at any time by using Sling technology and a compatible portable device. With the launch of the DISH Anywhere app, we discontinued support of the Slingbox.

In order to continue providing you with the best service possible, we would like to send you a free Sling Adapter to replace your Slingbox. The Sling Adapter will work seamlessly with DISH Anywhere, allowing you to watch your DVR content as well as live TV anywhere you go.

To receive your free Sling Adapter, please call us at 888-222-2719 and tell your customer service representative that you received this email. They will ship one to you at no cost, along with instructions on how to install your new Sling Adapter....

Why?

I purchased my Sling when I had my vip 722 and it worked well using SlingPlayer V 2. I even have full Windows Media Player Remote control.
It is very convenient to use the HP WMC remote to control the DVR.

When the disk on the 722 failed I upgraded to the Sling included vip 922.
This was a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT ! The built-in Sling is only SD, no HD !!!
And I can only use Dishonline.com with this Sling, so my IR remote does not work with the browser player.
I reconnected my old Sling HD Pro to TV1 of the 922 and still use the standalone SlingPlayer v2 program and my HP remote.

What exactly is Dish offering and what will this arrangement work like?
What may happen if I don't take their offer?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,857 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

It's free and you could keep your HD Sling. I would try and see if it will improve your experience.

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,757 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

One can still use the stand alone Sling ... just not with the DISH Network app. If you're using DISH Anywhere to view your 722 you'll have no picture. SD is better than no picture.

#4 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

I have a SlingBox AV (very old SD model).

Dish called me last week and offered me a Sling Adapter because I have a SlingBox, but I already have a Sling Adapter and I can't put 2 of them on my 722k.

Well, they sent me one anyway.

It keeps dust from populating a small area of a shelf.

They must be trying to get rid of excess inventory or maybe write down the cost of Sling Adapters given away or something.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,857 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

I have a SlingBox AV (very old SD model).

Dish called me last week and offered me a Sling Adapter because I have a SlingBox, but I already have a Sling Adapter and I can't put 2 of them on my 722k.

Well, they sent me one anyway.

It keeps dust from populating a small area of a shelf.

They must be trying to get rid of excess inventory or maybe write down the cost of Sling Adapters given away or something.

I have same Sling and H/J but I wasn't offered SA. :(

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,720 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

What exactly is Dish offering and what will this arrangement work like?

DISH is offering to give you something that works with their website.

What may happen if I don't take their offer?

You don't get a free sling adapter. It is pretty straightforward.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   Clarkjwc

Clarkjwc

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

I have done more reading and have learned that for my configuration this would be a BAD idea.
I have a VIP 922 with built-in Sling, but it is assigned to TV2. TV2 on the 922 is SD ONLY, so the Dish built-in is a bust!!

From what I can read a Sling adapter plugged in to the VIP USB may cause a crash because TV2 is already occupied.
Other item BAD for me --- My Windows Media Center HP remote will only work with SlingPlayer stand alone program. I prefer using the remote vs the mouse.

Last item -- Sling in the house --- SlingBox is direct to PC, Sling Adapter goes UP & Down via the Dish server a double hit on the WIFI!

Edited by Clarkjwc, 02 March 2013 - 05:47 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

Dish is making me an offer to replace my HD Pro Slingbox.

I'm indignent. I own a Slingbox Pro-HD and nobody sent me an offer of any kind. But I'd kind of worry about the "replace your Slingbox" because Dish owns Sling and I assume if you agree they could kill your access to the old Slingbox via Slingbox software. But there's more to this...

Our records indicate that you currently own a Slingbox. We recently launched the DISH Anywhere app, which allows you to watch TV anywhere at any time by using Sling technology and a compatible portable device. With the launch of the DISH Anywhere app, we discontinued support of the Slingbox.

Ok, I'm confused. What exactly does "With the launch of the DISH Anywhere app, we discontinued support of the Slingbox" mean? Who's "we"??? Dish never supported my Slingbox except for the fact they bought and own Sling. Does this statement mean Dish as owner of Sling intends to cease supporting my Slingbox PRO-HD??? If they mean that, then Charlie and I have a dispute that I'd happily turn into a major dispute.

Now if this means they'd give me a free adapter for my 722 and continue supporting my Slingbox PRO-HD, then where do I sign up?;)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,757 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

Have you used your SlingBox as part of a DISH Anywhere subscription?

#10 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

Have you used your SlingBox as part of a DISH Anywhere subscription?

No. Is that the trigger?

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,757 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

No. Is that the trigger?

Possibly. The stated reason for sending the Sling Adapter is for people using DISH Anywhere to keep using the service. If you have not been using DISH Anywhere there is no loss of service for them to compensate for.

#12 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

Hmm. It curious. I do have a Dish Anywhere Account that accesses my DVR's plus offers viewing of other movies and programming. But I haven't used it.

When I go to watch via my Slingbox PRO-HD there is no mention of Dish Anywhere anywhere on the web site. Nor does my Slingbox PRO-HD appear anywhere in my Dish Network account information.

If they weren't offering to replace his Slingbox PRO-HD I wouldn't be curious. Maybe I shouldn't be too curious....

My AV Setup

#13 OFFLINE   kooi

kooi

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

Possibly. The stated reason for sending the Sling Adapter is for people using DISH Anywhere to keep using the service. If you have not been using DISH Anywhere there is no loss of service for them to compensate for.

Ahh makes sense now

Protected By... spam firewall...And...