Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question about speaker specs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

Hope I'm explaining this well enough;

I am aware of SPL specs, but I'm actually looking for something more specific.

Lets say we had 2 speakers, one with an SPL of 90, and one with 87. The difference though, is, the 90 is inaudible 20 degrees off axis, and the 87 is 87 clear out to 135 degrees left and right and up and down.

If I am trying to put sound in a large auditorium, and I have some budget issues on getting a large enough amplifier, I think I want the 87 SPL speaker because even with it being 3 dB lower than the 90, I am still getting WAY more acoustic horsepower out of it.

I've read speaker reviews, and sometimes you get a comment about wide dispersion and tweeter beaming' but it is pretty much a shot in the dark about comparing some speakers for overall net efficiency.

I would assume the PA speakers the local wedding and graduation DJ guy uses are better in this regard than the home theater JBLs I have in my house, but how much better? And as for fidelity in surround, I think I like the JBLs better. Am I asking for too much ?

Any recommendations? Does the THX certification process detail this? Any real world experience with notable success or failure in a system with this speaker criteria in mind ??

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

I would try AVSforum ... there are so many reviews and professionals ...

spam firewall