Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Multiple DVRs vs Genie

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

I currently have 4 HD DVRs, one is a 24 and the others are 22s. I also have the whole home set up. would there be any benefit to switching to Genie? I dont quite understand all of its benefits other than it can record 5 shows at once.

any help? i would think about the switch but dont know if its worth it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

Having had twin HR24s for a long time, and now a Genie, the biggest thing I noticed is the complete lack of having recording conflicts with the 5 tuners.
It's just "too easy" to get used to. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

I'm not sure there would be any particular benefit unless one of your units is a primary viewing location that does a lot more recording than the other locations. In that case, putting the HR34 Genie there would give you more simultaneous recording capability (and more storage capacity).

At most, I would simply replace one of your existing units with the Genie. I would not dump them all and go with the Genie and 3 clients.

#4 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

Having had twin HR24s for a long time, and now a Genie, the biggest thing I noticed is the complete lack of having recording conflicts with the 5 tuners.
It's just "too easy" to get used to. :lol:

Yeah but we have our shows spread on the various dvrs so it doesn't happen too often to us.

If you have the genie, do you still need to have receivers on the other tvs?

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

If you have the genie, do you still need to have receivers on the other tvs?

You need to have a receiver, a DVR, or an RVU client at each TV location.

#6 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

I simply replaced one of my DVR's with a Genie... slapped a RAID array on it, and now only use the other DVR's to duplicate in the event of a DVR failure. Having the 5 tuners is really nice not to have to manage conflicts across multiple DVR's but that's the only real reason to have the Genie over the HR2x's

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#7 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

I simply replaced one of my DVR's with a Genie... slapped a RAID array on it, and now only use the other DVR's to duplicate in the event of a DVR failure. Having the 5 tuners is really nice not to have to manage conflicts across multiple DVR's but that's the only real reason to have the Genie over the HR2x's

Is anyone able to get the genie without paying a lot. Seems like it costs a bit.

#8 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

call and maybe they will offer you deal, and the Genie have 100 series manager compare to 50 with normal DVR

#9 OFFLINE   mattgwyther

mattgwyther

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

I have multiple DVR's and a Genie. The 2 big advantages I've seen since the upgrade are:

1. No recording conflicts or needing to cancel a recording to keep watching live TV.

2. No more Issue in streaming multiple shows from a DVR in a whole home DVR set up.
I WANT MY PAC-12 Network & PAC-12 Mountain Network!!

#10 OFFLINE   goober22

goober22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSunny Flori-Duh!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

I have 6 HD/DVRs and no Genie. I see no need. I have a 14yoa son that watches "tween" stuff, Star Wars, Spongebob, YouTube; a 37yoa spouse that watches chick fliks, romantic comedies, vampire "things", a 49yoa ME that does football, racing (all types), Sci-Fi, comedy, documentaries; and a 90yoa mom that loves soap operas, family dramas and anything western. No way a 5 tuner Genie could cover all our needs.

Resident Jenius!

DirecTV = HR20-700x2, HR20-100x2, R22-100+AM21Nx2, All Networked, R15-500x1 (not activated), D12-300x2, Zinwell WB616, OTA=17, WOW (Knology) Cable = Internet & Phone Only,  Hitachi 65S700 65", Sanyo 50" Plasma x2, Hisense 42" LCD, Scepter 40" LCD, Vizio 26" LCD, Hiteker 32" LCD,  Sony 7.1 Receiver, Sony 7.1 Speaker System

#11 OFFLINE   MrBill64

MrBill64

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

Here is a data point to hopefully help the OP decide what to do. I just completed an upgrade to a Genie. I had 4 dvr's, two HR20's, one HR21, and one HR22 linked with whole home via ethernet. One of my HR20's was acting up and about to die. I called to see what kind of promos they had for existing customers to upgrade to the Genie. After a bit of give and take I ended up with a Genie, a SWiM uprade, and a Direct Cinema Connection Kit. The installer also replaced my other HR20 with an HR24. I later added one H31 client to another bedroom, giving me 5 receivers total. 3 of these receivers are new, the Genie, the HR24 dvr, and the H31 client. Total cost was $74.99.

I might have been able to get a better deal but I was happy with the final outcome. I was not expecting the other HR20 being replaced with an HR24 and the installer said I was getting the Direct Cinema Connection Kit as a freebie because he couldn't get all the dvr's to share with one another via the ethernet. Also the extra H31 client was added a couple days later by calling in. I originally wanted to just have them ship the client to me and I would hook it up since the bedroom I was installing it in was already wired to handle it but the CSR insisted I have an installer come out and hook it up. I agreed only because it was a Friday when I called and the installation was scheduled for Sunday, which was sooner than I would have received the client if it was shipped. Of course I had to commit to a new 2 year agreement but I have no problem with that. YMMV.

#12 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

No way a 5 tuner Genie could cover all our needs.

Who says that it has to? You don't need to get rid of all of your other DVR's if you get a Genie. You can just replace one DVR and keep the rest. As well as having 5 tuners, when used with Whole Home service, it can act as a server to 3 other receivers at a time (as opposed to other DVR's that can only act as a server to one other receiver at a time).

So, you are less likely to be blocked out from watching a show in a different room, than if you were watching a recording from a Genie.

#13 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,906 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

I currently have 4 HD DVRs, one is a 24 and the others are 22s. I also have the whole home set up. would there be any benefit to switching to Genie? I dont quite understand all of its benefits other than it can record 5 shows at once.

any help? i would think about the switch but dont know if its worth it.

Why switch. You can just swap out one of your HR2x for a HR34 as I did.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#14 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:31 AM

I have multiple DVR's and a Genie. The 2 big advantages I've seen since the upgrade are:

1. No recording conflicts or needing to cancel a recording to keep watching live TV.

2. No more Issue in streaming multiple shows from a DVR in a whole home DVR set up.

eh, I could cause a recording conflict easily. 4 tv's going at once and try to record 3 things. I do watch too much tv though.

#15 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

So based on some postings, An H25, HR24, and Genie is better than two H25's and a Genie? I might get a Genie in May. Seems I qualify for a free upgrade, as per customer service due to Protection Plan.

Can an HR24 and Genie view each other's recordings and can H25 access both? I have whole home with two H25's and one HR24.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

Yep. You would need a SWM 16 if the Genie is in addition to your current boxes.

#17 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

i have been asking myself the same questions for awhile now... My original plan was to add a second HR24 as it most likely would be a cheaper option but, i stumbled on a HR34 on amazon for $120 + $10 shipping so i decided to bite. box came in new packaging and i decided to call Directv with the RID just to make sure it could be added to the account. everything checked out so as soon as re are done with the remodel of our living room and get the new flat screen ill be activating a new HR34.

Edited by Old_School, 03 March 2013 - 12:00 PM.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#18 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

I imagine your viewing habits enter into it.

We have 5 HD DVRs on WHDVR/SWM16 setup. The series links are pretty spread out and if we see something advertised that we want to record we just set it to record in whatever room we happen to be sitting in.

Now most of the activity as far as active recording and Series Links is in the Living Room which, oddly enough, is an R22 w/HD and probably has the smallest disk space but because we record mainly so we can watch only a little later and skip the commercial, and then delete what we have watched instead of archiving recordings to disk storage isn't an issue.

The one issue we do run into (or more specifically, that I run into) is that my wife will often have two things recording at the same time that I don't want to see and she may not even be in the room at the time. When that happens I have to move to the Family Room, Kitchen or one of the Bedrooms. That is the only real shortcoming we run into with a multiple distributed DVR setup. A Genie would fix that and if they offered one to me for the right price I would put it in the Living Room, move the R22 and retire one of my two remaining R10 DirecTiVOs. I wouldn't put it in place of the R22. I would just continue to grow my SWM cloud and my shared WHDVR tuner population...which would be at 15 if that were to happen.

But if they don't make you a good offer on a Genie my own viewing habits would say there's no compelling reason to upgrade. Your circumstances may be different.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#19 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

The one issue we do run into (or more specifically, that I run into) is that my wife will often have two things recording at the same time that I don't want to see and she may not even be in the room at the time. When that happens I have to move to the Family Room, Kitchen or one of the Bedrooms.

That happens to me a lot with evening football games, while two things are recording on the DVR connected to the TV that I want to watch.

Rather than changing rooms, I just record the game on on one of the other DVR's and watch it on the TV that I wanted to watch it on in the first place, while it's recording.

#20 OFFLINE   goober22

goober22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSunny Flori-Duh!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

Who says that it has to? You don't need to get rid of all of your other DVR's if you get a Genie. You can just replace one DVR and keep the rest. As well as having 5 tuners, when used with Whole Home service, it can act as a server to 3 other receivers at a time (as opposed to other DVR's that can only act as a server to one other receiver at a time).

So, you are less likely to be blocked out from watching a show in a different room, than if you were watching a recording from a Genie.

That's is my point, I don't need a Genie so why add one to the mix and still keep the 6 HD/DVRs? It's not like I will be trying to watch something in my mothers room or my sons, so those tuners are usless to me. A Genie, for me, would be overkill since everyones needs are met with 6 units. If I did not have those 6, then maybe a Genie but with 2-3 more HD/DVRs as well would work. I have 12 recordable tuners for 4 people, plus 2 extra tuners in D12s for viewing. For a couple or a couple and a child, a Genie may be great but for us with 4 folks ranging from 14 to 90yoa, 5 tuners would not.

One size doesn't always fit all. I was just giving the OP another point of view.

Resident Jenius!

DirecTV = HR20-700x2, HR20-100x2, R22-100+AM21Nx2, All Networked, R15-500x1 (not activated), D12-300x2, Zinwell WB616, OTA=17, WOW (Knology) Cable = Internet & Phone Only,  Hitachi 65S700 65", Sanyo 50" Plasma x2, Hisense 42" LCD, Scepter 40" LCD, Vizio 26" LCD, Hiteker 32" LCD,  Sony 7.1 Receiver, Sony 7.1 Speaker System

Protected By... spam firewall...And...