Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Multiple DVRs vs Genie

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Prea

Prea

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

If you're a sports fan, one nice feature of the genie is the picture in picture option. You can watch 2 games at once - either split screen where both take up half the tv, of you can have one game up in the corner. You can do this with any television channels of course, but I see the main benefit being for sports fans. 

I switched 4 HR2Xs for a genie and 3 clients.  Question is can I now drop whole home service and save $3 per month since I only have 1 dvr and nothing to share with?

Well I'm pretty sure you need the whole home dvr service in order to use the mini-genies across the whole home. 

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

I switched 4 HR2Xs for a genie and 3 clients.  Question is can I now drop whole home service and save $3 per month since I only have 1 dvr and nothing to share with?

Technically the clients are sharing from the Genie....so I believe the answer is no you cannot drop the $3 MRV fee.

#28 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,477 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

Yes, the Genie requires the WHDVR fee

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#29 OFFLINE   alhurricane

alhurricane

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

I currently have 3 HD DVRs (2 HR24s and 1 HR22). I am thinking of replacing my slow HR22 with a Genie and keeping the other DVRs. That would bump me up from 6 tuners to 9 tuners. Would I need a SWIM upgrade for that? Does it matter what unit the inside SWIM box is connected ? Also, can I set up a recording on the Genie from one of the HR24s?

#30 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,477 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:20 PM

I currently have 3 HD DVRs (2 HR24s and 1 HR22). I am thinking of replacing my slow HR22 with a Genie and keeping the other DVRs. That would bump me up from 6 tuners to 9 tuners. Would I need a SWIM upgrade for that? Does it matter what unit the inside SWIM box is connected ? Also, can I set up a recording on the Genie from one of the HR24s?

Yes you need SWM Because the Genie only works on SWM and you would need a SWM16 switch. and no, you cannot set a recording from one DVR to another. The PI can go basically anywhere but is best when is connected to a dedicated port on the splitter
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#31 OFFLINE   alhurricane

alhurricane

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

Yes you need SWM Because the Genie only works on SWM and you would need a SWM16 switch. and no, you cannot set a recording from one DVR to another. The PI can go basically anywhere but is best when is connected to a dedicated port on the splitter

So if I replaced one of the HR24s with a client, that would leave me with 7 tuners and I wouldn't need to upgrade the SWM? I assume I have a SWIM 8 currently. Is the Pl you are referring to the inside box that connects to a receiver and plugs into the electrical outlet? If so, can that be connected to a client?

#32 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,477 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

See link for a picture of the PI. If you already have SWM you already have one. It can be installed essentially anywhere indoors

http://www.solidsign...&s=185463000894
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#33 OFFLINE   alhurricane

alhurricane

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

See link for a picture of the PI. If you already have SWM you already have one. It can be installed essentially anywhere indoors

http://www.solidsign...&s=185463000894

Yes that's what I have. Thanks!

#34 OFFLINE   stususs

stususs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

I have two televisions in the same room (which I prefer over using picture-in-picture).  The two televisions are separately fed by two HR DVRs (HR 20-100 and HR 22-100) which are 10 inches apart from each other, and which use separate remote control codes.

Apart from the larger memory (of some value to me), and the ability to record 5 simultaneous programs (of no value to me), do I gain any benefit from acquiring an HR 34 or HR 44 Genie?  Why would I want to subject myself to the whole home DVR fee?

Am I correct that I can acquire and make full use of the GenieGo with my current HR receivers without the need to upgrade to the HR 34 or HR 44?

Are there any other factors I should consider?

Thank you.

#35 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,477 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

I have two televisions in the same room (which I prefer over using picture-in-picture). The two televisions are separately fed by two HR DVRs (HR 20-100 and HR 22-100) which are 10 inches apart from each other, and which use separate remote control codes.

Apart from the larger memory (of some value to me), and the ability to record 5 simultaneous programs (of no value to me), do I gain any benefit from acquiring an HR 34 or HR 44 Genie? Why would I want to subject myself to the whole home DVR fee?

Am I correct that I can acquire and make full use of the GenieGo with my current HR receivers without the need to upgrade to the HR 34 or HR 44?

Are there any other factors I should consider?

Thank you.

I guess the only thing you can gain by getting is speed and perhaps VOD with one single connection using the SWM network. The GenieGo works with any HDDVR that is connected to the internet
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#36 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,737 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

Sounds like your set up is solid and suits you, so you'd gain a larger HD, quicker response via the Genie, but these don't sound real important to your setup. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#37 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,997 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:23 AM

That's is my point, I don't need a Genie so why add one to the mix and still keep the 6 HD/DVRs? It's not like I will be trying to watch something in my mothers room or my sons, so those tuners are usless to me. A Genie, for me, would be overkill since everyones needs are met with 6 units. If I did not have those 6, then maybe a Genie but with 2-3 more HD/DVRs as well would work. I have 12 recordable tuners for 4 people, plus 2 extra tuners in D12s for viewing. For a couple or a couple and a child, a Genie may be great but for us with 4 folks ranging from 14 to 90yoa, 5 tuners would not.

One size doesn't always fit all. I was just giving the OP another point of view.

Well I can tell you right now that is someone is watching a recording off my HR24, that means no one else in the house can watch anything else off that receiver at the same time. That IMO is a big Down fall.

Which is why I have HR34,24,23,H25 on my account.

And I don't need 5 receivers along with 4 additional receiver fees like I would have with 5 HD DVRs 10 tuner system.

In your case you have 12 tuners, ok you can get 11-13 Tuners for less money if you had a Genie and dropped 1 or 2 of your HD DVrs, saving you $6-$12 per month, and you can still stream 6-7 rooms.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, Cinemax,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 Inch

Tivo Mini Livingroom Vizio M602i-B3 60 Inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2  LG 26LE5300 26 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 3  Element ELEFW328 32 Inch
Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4  Magnavox 32 inch

Arris Touchstone DG1660

Dream 60 Mbps down 3 Mbps up.

#38 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

Well I can tell you right now that is someone is watching a recording off my HR24, that means no one else in the house can watch anything else off that receiver at the same time. That IMO is a big Down fall.

That's not true.  You can still watch programming on the HR24 using the TV that's connected to the HR24.  The limit is that the HR24 can only act as a server to one other receiver.

#39 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

That's not true.  You can still watch programming on the HR24 using the TV that's connected to the HR24.  The limit is that the HR24 can only act as a server to one other receiver.

What part is not true? If someone on my H25 is watching a recording off the Hr24,The Genie and my HR23 cannot watch anything from that HR 24 playlist.

So whats not true?

Arris Touchstone DG1660

#40 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

What part is not true? If someone on my H25 is watching a recording off the Hr24,The Genie and my HR23 cannot watch anything from that HR 24 playlist.

So whats not true?

Looks like it was just a misunderstanding or semantics.  YOu can still record 2 shows and watch a previous recording locally on that HR24.  But no, no others can remote view recordings as an HR2x can only stream one at a time.  Only the Genie's can stream up to 3.

Edited by CCarncross, 29 July 2013 - 10:29 AM.

• damondlt likes this

#41 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,460 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

I have 5 HD DVR's and 1 HR34.  Somehow yesterday when I called to cancel the HD Xtra Pack, Whole Home was added.  I did not want it and do not intend on using it either.  The HR34 is for my TV and my tv only.  I need the 5 tuners and do not need anyone else in the house deciding they want to watch something from that box.  I need the tuners available to me at all times.  It blows me away that people thing Whole Home is that great.  Not sure I will ever use it.  With all the DVR's I have, if I want to see it, I'll just record it in what ever room I want to see it in.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-100 Owned, HR20-700 Owned (Not Active), R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR44-500 Owned. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#42 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,737 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

Diff. folks, diff. strokes.... I love Whole House service, and I am glad we have such good choices. 

• damondlt likes this
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#43 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,399 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

I have 5 HD DVR's and 1 HR34. Somehow yesterday when I called to cancel the HD Xtra Pack, Whole Home was added. I did not want it and do not intend on using it either. The HR34 is for my TV and my tv only. I need the 5 tuners and do not need anyone else in the house deciding they want to watch something from that box. I need the tuners available to me at all times. It blows me away that people thing Whole Home is that great. Not sure I will ever use it. With all the DVR's I have, if I want to see it, I'll just record it in what ever room I want to see it in.

You can always watch a show you record on the unit it is recorded on. There is no exception to that rule. You can also keep anyone from being able to delete a show on your HR34 from anywheres but the HR34.

Whole Home Service makes it a lot easier to cut down on recording things on multiple units and such.

But hey, whatever you want. Maybe it will be good for the other people and the other DVRs in the house. You can turn off all sharing of just the HR34 and let all the others utilize Whole Home Service.

#44 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

So whats not true?

Your second post does not say the same thing as your first post.  When someone on your H25 is watching a recording off of your HR24, someone who is watching the TV to which the HR24 is connected can, in fact, watch something else from the HR24 playlist.  Your original post said "no one else in the house can watch anything else off that receiver at the same time."  That part is not true.  Someone else in the house can watch something from that receiver at the same time.

What you wrote in your second post ("If someone on my H25 is watching a recording off the Hr24,The Genie and my HR23 cannot watch anything from that HR 24 playlist.") is accurate.  It's just not consistent with your first statement.

#45 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:12 PM

I have 5 HD DVR's and 1 HR34.  Somehow yesterday when I called to cancel the HD Xtra Pack, Whole Home was added.  I did not want it and do not intend on using it either. 

I believe that, at some point, Whole Home became a requirement on accounts with a Genie and other receivers.  The only way that you can not have Whole Home with a Genie is if the Genie is your only receiver.  The change to your account probably caused DirecTV's system to enforce this rule.

#46 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

Your second post does not say the same thing as your first post.  When someone on your H25 is watching a recording off of your HR24, someone who is watching the TV to which the HR24 is connected can, in fact, watch something else from the HR24 playlist.  Your original post said "no one else in the house can watch anything else off that receiver at the same time."  That part is not true.  Someone else in the house can watch something from that receiver at the same time.

What you wrote in your second post ("If someone on my H25 is watching a recording off the Hr24,The Genie and my HR23 cannot watch anything from that HR 24 playlist.") is accurate.  It's just not consistent with your first statement.

OK I should have been more clear to what I meant.  Yes if you are sitting in front of the HR24 you can still stream a remote room and watch the HR 24's content off the HR 24.

Arris Touchstone DG1660

#47 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,460 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:05 PM

I believe that, at some point, Whole Home became a requirement on accounts with a Genie and other receivers.  The only way that you can not have Whole Home with a Genie is if the Genie is your only receiver.  The change to your account probably caused DirecTV's system to enforce this rule.

Never had it before yesterday.  Today I called the Vice President of Customer Service's office and they removed it aqain.  I made sure they knew that I have a Genie but that I do not want Whole Home.  I was able to get $15 off for the next 15 months from it and then have it removed anyways.  Guess I will be happy with that.

Whole Home Removal.jpg

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-100 Owned, HR20-700 Owned (Not Active), R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR44-500 Owned. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#48 OFFLINE   kovach

kovach

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:11 PM

Yes, the Genie requires the WHDVR fee

What if you don't want WHDVR, does each client work only with its own particion of the hard drive or something?  Or is WHDRV required and isn't an option?

#49 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:31 PM

What if you don't want WHDVR, does each client work only with its own particion of the hard drive or something?  Or is WHDRV required and isn't an option?

You MUST have WHDVR if you have clients because they won't work without it. A client is just an extension of the Genie server.

#50 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,399 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:50 AM

And any more for any new customers there is no Whole Home Service fee. I think that is being forgotten all to often. Only old customers like most of us even know about the fee anyway. These days it's buried in the DVR fee. Just as they are working on eliminating the Hi Definition fee line on all new customers in a few days as well.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...