Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Multiple DVRs vs Genie

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

That happens to me a lot with evening football games, while two things are recording on the DVR connected to the TV that I want to watch.

Rather than changing rooms, I just record the game on on one of the other DVR's and watch it on the TV that I wanted to watch it on in the first place, while it's recording.

That works too, but once I drag my lazy self into the next room it's just as easy for me to watch it there as it is to start the recording in the Family Room and go back to the Living Room. In fact it's probably easier. :lol:

And it's not like the Family Room is a bad spot. In fact the TV in the Family Room is a 58" plasma as opposed to the 40" LCD in the Living Room. I just happen to be a very "Newtonian" person. You know. An object at rest tends to remain at rest until acted upon by an outside force. That's me in a nutshell.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

That's is my point, I don't need a Genie so why add one to the mix and still keep the 6 HD/DVRs? It's not like I will be trying to watch something in my mothers room or my sons, so those tuners are usless to me. A Genie, for me, would be overkill since everyones needs are met with 6 units. If I did not have those 6, then maybe a Genie but with 2-3 more HD/DVRs as well would work. I have 12 recordable tuners for 4 people, plus 2 extra tuners in D12s for viewing. For a couple or a couple and a child, a Genie may be great but for us with 4 folks ranging from 14 to 90yoa, 5 tuners would not.

One size doesn't always fit all. I was just giving the OP another point of view.

To each his own, if it works for you, then no reason to switch.

Even in your situation, if you happen to be recording 2 programs on your DVR in the living room and you want to watch a third program live, you can't. So that's one other advantage of the Genie. You can be recording 4 programs and still watch a live channel.

Not to mention PIP, which I use to monitor a sporting event and then watch something else. Also, you have twice the recording capacity and series links you can set up in that one room. As I said, may not be for you, but just some other reasons to go with the Genie. We replaced a DVR with the Genie and kept our other DVR. We love it.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#23 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:29 PM

Yep. You would need a SWM 16 if the Genie is in addition to your current boxes.

The genie would most likely replace an h25 leaving an h25, Hr24, and Genie for a total of, if I'm not mistaken, 8 tuners.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#24 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,996 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

The genie would most likely replace an h25 leaving an h25, Hr24, and Genie for a total of, if I'm not mistaken, 8 tuners.

I do believe your arithmetic is right on! ;)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#25 OFFLINE   thommason

thommason

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:36 AM

I switched 4 HR2Xs for a genie and 3 clients.  Question is can I now drop whole home service and save $3 per month since I only have 1 dvr and nothing to share with?

#26 OFFLINE   Prea

Prea

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

If you're a sports fan, one nice feature of the genie is the picture in picture option. You can watch 2 games at once - either split screen where both take up half the tv, of you can have one game up in the corner. You can do this with any television channels of course, but I see the main benefit being for sports fans. 

I switched 4 HR2Xs for a genie and 3 clients.  Question is can I now drop whole home service and save $3 per month since I only have 1 dvr and nothing to share with?

Well I'm pretty sure you need the whole home dvr service in order to use the mini-genies across the whole home. 

#27 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

Technically the clients are sharing from the Genie....so I believe the answer is no you cannot drop the $3 MRV fee.

#28 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

Yes, the Genie requires the WHDVR fee

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#29 OFFLINE   alhurricane

alhurricane

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

I currently have 3 HD DVRs (2 HR24s and 1 HR22). I am thinking of replacing my slow HR22 with a Genie and keeping the other DVRs. That would bump me up from 6 tuners to 9 tuners. Would I need a SWIM upgrade for that? Does it matter what unit the inside SWIM box is connected ? Also, can I set up a recording on the Genie from one of the HR24s?

#30 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:20 PM

I currently have 3 HD DVRs (2 HR24s and 1 HR22). I am thinking of replacing my slow HR22 with a Genie and keeping the other DVRs. That would bump me up from 6 tuners to 9 tuners. Would I need a SWIM upgrade for that? Does it matter what unit the inside SWIM box is connected ? Also, can I set up a recording on the Genie from one of the HR24s?

Yes you need SWM Because the Genie only works on SWM and you would need a SWM16 switch. and no, you cannot set a recording from one DVR to another. The PI can go basically anywhere but is best when is connected to a dedicated port on the splitter
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#31 OFFLINE   alhurricane

alhurricane

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

Yes you need SWM Because the Genie only works on SWM and you would need a SWM16 switch. and no, you cannot set a recording from one DVR to another. The PI can go basically anywhere but is best when is connected to a dedicated port on the splitter

So if I replaced one of the HR24s with a client, that would leave me with 7 tuners and I wouldn't need to upgrade the SWM? I assume I have a SWIM 8 currently. Is the Pl you are referring to the inside box that connects to a receiver and plugs into the electrical outlet? If so, can that be connected to a client?

#32 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

See link for a picture of the PI. If you already have SWM you already have one. It can be installed essentially anywhere indoors

http://www.solidsign...&s=185463000894
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#33 OFFLINE   alhurricane

alhurricane

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

See link for a picture of the PI. If you already have SWM you already have one. It can be installed essentially anywhere indoors

http://www.solidsign...&s=185463000894

Yes that's what I have. Thanks!

#34 OFFLINE   stususs

stususs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

I have two televisions in the same room (which I prefer over using picture-in-picture).  The two televisions are separately fed by two HR DVRs (HR 20-100 and HR 22-100) which are 10 inches apart from each other, and which use separate remote control codes.

Apart from the larger memory (of some value to me), and the ability to record 5 simultaneous programs (of no value to me), do I gain any benefit from acquiring an HR 34 or HR 44 Genie?  Why would I want to subject myself to the whole home DVR fee?

Am I correct that I can acquire and make full use of the GenieGo with my current HR receivers without the need to upgrade to the HR 34 or HR 44?

Are there any other factors I should consider?

Thank you.

#35 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

I have two televisions in the same room (which I prefer over using picture-in-picture). The two televisions are separately fed by two HR DVRs (HR 20-100 and HR 22-100) which are 10 inches apart from each other, and which use separate remote control codes.

Apart from the larger memory (of some value to me), and the ability to record 5 simultaneous programs (of no value to me), do I gain any benefit from acquiring an HR 34 or HR 44 Genie? Why would I want to subject myself to the whole home DVR fee?

Am I correct that I can acquire and make full use of the GenieGo with my current HR receivers without the need to upgrade to the HR 34 or HR 44?

Are there any other factors I should consider?

Thank you.

I guess the only thing you can gain by getting is speed and perhaps VOD with one single connection using the SWM network. The GenieGo works with any HDDVR that is connected to the internet
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#36 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,996 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

Sounds like your set up is solid and suits you, so you'd gain a larger HD, quicker response via the Genie, but these don't sound real important to your setup. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#37 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:23 AM

That's is my point, I don't need a Genie so why add one to the mix and still keep the 6 HD/DVRs? It's not like I will be trying to watch something in my mothers room or my sons, so those tuners are usless to me. A Genie, for me, would be overkill since everyones needs are met with 6 units. If I did not have those 6, then maybe a Genie but with 2-3 more HD/DVRs as well would work. I have 12 recordable tuners for 4 people, plus 2 extra tuners in D12s for viewing. For a couple or a couple and a child, a Genie may be great but for us with 4 folks ranging from 14 to 90yoa, 5 tuners would not.

One size doesn't always fit all. I was just giving the OP another point of view.

Well I can tell you right now that is someone is watching a recording off my HR24, that means no one else in the house can watch anything else off that receiver at the same time. That IMO is a big Down fall.

Which is why I have HR34,24,23,H25 on my account.

And I don't need 5 receivers along with 4 additional receiver fees like I would have with 5 HD DVRs 10 tuner system.

In your case you have 12 tuners, ok you can get 11-13 Tuners for less money if you had a Genie and dropped 1 or 2 of your HD DVrs, saving you $6-$12 per month, and you can still stream 6-7 rooms.

Former Directv Subscriber May 5th-2012 - November 7th 2014 

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus anolog Bedrrom 5 and 6

#38 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

Well I can tell you right now that is someone is watching a recording off my HR24, that means no one else in the house can watch anything else off that receiver at the same time. That IMO is a big Down fall.

That's not true.  You can still watch programming on the HR24 using the TV that's connected to the HR24.  The limit is that the HR24 can only act as a server to one other receiver.

#39 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

That's not true.  You can still watch programming on the HR24 using the TV that's connected to the HR24.  The limit is that the HR24 can only act as a server to one other receiver.

What part is not true? If someone on my H25 is watching a recording off the Hr24,The Genie and my HR23 cannot watch anything from that HR 24 playlist.

So whats not true?

Former Directv Subscriber May 5th-2012 - November 7th 2014 

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus anolog Bedrrom 5 and 6

#40 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

What part is not true? If someone on my H25 is watching a recording off the Hr24,The Genie and my HR23 cannot watch anything from that HR 24 playlist.

So whats not true?

Looks like it was just a misunderstanding or semantics.  YOu can still record 2 shows and watch a previous recording locally on that HR24.  But no, no others can remote view recordings as an HR2x can only stream one at a time.  Only the Genie's can stream up to 3.

Edited by CCarncross, 29 July 2013 - 10:29 AM.

• damondlt likes this

Protected By... spam firewall...And...