Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Multiple DVRs vs Genie

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

I have 5 HD DVR's and 1 HR34.  Somehow yesterday when I called to cancel the HD Xtra Pack, Whole Home was added.  I did not want it and do not intend on using it either.  The HR34 is for my TV and my tv only.  I need the 5 tuners and do not need anyone else in the house deciding they want to watch something from that box.  I need the tuners available to me at all times.  It blows me away that people thing Whole Home is that great.  Not sure I will ever use it.  With all the DVR's I have, if I want to see it, I'll just record it in what ever room I want to see it in.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,351 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

Diff. folks, diff. strokes.... I love Whole House service, and I am glad we have such good choices. 

• damondlt likes this
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#43 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,256 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

I have 5 HD DVR's and 1 HR34. Somehow yesterday when I called to cancel the HD Xtra Pack, Whole Home was added. I did not want it and do not intend on using it either. The HR34 is for my TV and my tv only. I need the 5 tuners and do not need anyone else in the house deciding they want to watch something from that box. I need the tuners available to me at all times. It blows me away that people thing Whole Home is that great. Not sure I will ever use it. With all the DVR's I have, if I want to see it, I'll just record it in what ever room I want to see it in.

You can always watch a show you record on the unit it is recorded on. There is no exception to that rule. You can also keep anyone from being able to delete a show on your HR34 from anywheres but the HR34.

Whole Home Service makes it a lot easier to cut down on recording things on multiple units and such.

But hey, whatever you want. Maybe it will be good for the other people and the other DVRs in the house. You can turn off all sharing of just the HR34 and let all the others utilize Whole Home Service.

#44 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

Well I can tell you right now that is someone is watching a recording off my HR24, that means no one else in the house can watch anything else off that receiver at the same time. That IMO is a big Down fall.

What part is not true? If someone on my H25 is watching a recording off the Hr24,The Genie and my HR23 cannot watch anything from that HR 24 playlist.

So whats not true?

Your second post does not say the same thing as your first post.  When someone on your H25 is watching a recording off of your HR24, someone who is watching the TV to which the HR24 is connected can, in fact, watch something else from the HR24 playlist.  Your original post said "no one else in the house can watch anything else off that receiver at the same time."  That part is not true.  Someone else in the house can watch something from that receiver at the same time.

What you wrote in your second post ("If someone on my H25 is watching a recording off the Hr24,The Genie and my HR23 cannot watch anything from that HR 24 playlist.") is accurate.  It's just not consistent with your first statement.

#45 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:12 PM

I have 5 HD DVR's and 1 HR34.  Somehow yesterday when I called to cancel the HD Xtra Pack, Whole Home was added.  I did not want it and do not intend on using it either. 

I believe that, at some point, Whole Home became a requirement on accounts with a Genie and other receivers.  The only way that you can not have Whole Home with a Genie is if the Genie is your only receiver.  The change to your account probably caused DirecTV's system to enforce this rule.

#46 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

Your second post does not say the same thing as your first post.  When someone on your H25 is watching a recording off of your HR24, someone who is watching the TV to which the HR24 is connected can, in fact, watch something else from the HR24 playlist.  Your original post said "no one else in the house can watch anything else off that receiver at the same time."  That part is not true.  Someone else in the house can watch something from that receiver at the same time.

What you wrote in your second post ("If someone on my H25 is watching a recording off the Hr24,The Genie and my HR23 cannot watch anything from that HR 24 playlist.") is accurate.  It's just not consistent with your first statement.

OK I should have been more clear to what I meant.  Yes if you are sitting in front of the HR24 you can still stream a remote room and watch the HR 24's content off the HR 24.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#47 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:05 PM

I believe that, at some point, Whole Home became a requirement on accounts with a Genie and other receivers.  The only way that you can not have Whole Home with a Genie is if the Genie is your only receiver.  The change to your account probably caused DirecTV's system to enforce this rule.

Never had it before yesterday.  Today I called the Vice President of Customer Service's office and they removed it aqain.  I made sure they knew that I have a Genie but that I do not want Whole Home.  I was able to get $15 off for the next 15 months from it and then have it removed anyways.  Guess I will be happy with that.

Whole Home Removal.jpg

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#48 OFFLINE   kovach

kovach

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:11 PM

Yes, the Genie requires the WHDVR fee

What if you don't want WHDVR, does each client work only with its own particion of the hard drive or something?  Or is WHDRV required and isn't an option?

#49 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:31 PM

What if you don't want WHDVR, does each client work only with its own particion of the hard drive or something?  Or is WHDRV required and isn't an option?

You MUST have WHDVR if you have clients because they won't work without it. A client is just an extension of the Genie server.

#50 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,256 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:50 AM

And any more for any new customers there is no Whole Home Service fee. I think that is being forgotten all to often. Only old customers like most of us even know about the fee anyway. These days it's buried in the DVR fee. Just as they are working on eliminating the Hi Definition fee line on all new customers in a few days as well.

#51 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:57 PM

What if you don't want WHDVR,

Then don't get a genie.....

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#52 OFFLINE   kovach

kovach

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:39 AM

I like the PIP option

Then don't get a genie.....

I like the PIP option and the faster UI...but would prefer not to see all my kids shows in the playlist...and somewhat concerned about HDCP not allowing me to continue to record shows to my DVD-R.  So just weighing the pros and cons...

#53 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,239 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

If the kids have their own DVR, you can set it so as to not share playlists and you won't see their stuff in your playlist.  This can be done on a unit by unit basis, but can only be done, or changed, on the local unit.  In other words, you couldn't remotely change the setting on their DVR, you would have to go to that unit to make the change.

#54 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

and somewhat concerned about HDCP not allowing me to continue to record shows to my DVD-R.  So just weighing the pros and cons...

Well, HDCP has not change from that of the HR2X DVRs. So whatever you were ding before will work with the Genie.  HDCP is only enforced on HDMI, so component and composite are up for grabs.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...