Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV Won't Send DECA's?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tw0053

tw0053

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

I have a SWiM installation with 2 H21s, an HR20-700, and HR22-100. Last week I got DirecTV to send a cck-w for free to connect all of my receivers to the Internet. The csr told me I would not need the DECAs for the installation because it was only the Internet I wanted and not Whole Home. Come to find out, I will need DECAs. I called this morning to have DECAs sent to me since I read on here they would send them for free. After I finally got routed to the right person they said they were sending them. Afterwards I looked at the order online and it said they were sending B Band Converters. I called back and they first suggested they were DECAs, but they will show up on the order as BBCs. Has anyone ever heard of this?

I wasn't satisfied with that answer so they transferred me to the same department that helped me before. He said it looked like BBCs were going out to me and he would send DECAs. After waiting for 20 minutes he told me he could not find DECAs in the computer and could not send them out because I had not paid for the whole home installation. I told them I was just looking to get the internet to all receivers and not pay for whole home DVR service. He told me I know what you're trying to do. That is, do the whole home installation without paying for it and you will need to pay $99 to have the whole home upgrade done to receive the DECAs. They cannot send them separately.

Doesn't anyone know this to be true? If I call back will I eventually get someone to send them?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 820 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

I have a SWiM installation with 2 H21s, an HR20-700, and HR22-100. Last week I got DirecTV to send a cck-w for free to connect all of my receivers to the Internet. The csr told me I would not need the DECAs for the installation because it was only the Internet I wanted and not Whole Home. Come to find out, I will need DECAs. I called this morning to have DECAs sent to me since I read on here they would send them for free. After I finally got routed to the right person they said they were sending them. Afterwards I looked at the order online and it said they were sending B Band Converters. I called back and they first suggested they were DECAs, but they will show up on the order as BBCs. Has anyone ever heard of this?

I wasn't satisfied with that answer so they transferred me to the same department that helped me before. He said it looked like BBCs were going out to me and he would send DECAs. After waiting for 20 minutes he told me he could not find DECAs in the computer and could not send them out because I had not paid for the whole home installation. I told them I was just looking to get the internet to all receivers and not pay for whole home DVR service. He told me I know what you're trying to do. That is, do the whole home installation without paying for it and you will need to pay $99 to have the whole home upgrade done to receive the DECAs. They cannot send them separately.

Doesn't anyone know this to be true? If I call back will I eventually get someone to send them?

There's a limit to how many they can send in a six month period (I think it's one now). That being said, if they aren't even showing up in the ordering system *and* you've never ordered any D* probably doesn't realize you have a SWM install. You may need to ask if they show that you have a SWM install (if you did a self install/self SWM upgrade, they won't show this), and if they don't they'll need to flag your account for this [whether they know how to do this...]

Your most headache-free option may be to buy 4 of them from Amazon for $12 each...http://amzn.to/ZOAz30
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#3 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

a deca is not the same thing as a broadband deca

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#4 OFFLINE   ryanh9992

ryanh9992

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

I can almost guarantee more than one DECA can be full filled within a 6 month period. You need to call and have your account marked as SWM. An agent can't do it but they can send an escalation.
DirecTV Technical Support
My opinions and comments herein are of my own and in no way represent those of my employer

#5 OFFLINE   viclovr

viclovr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

Your most headache-free option may be to buy 4 of them from Amazon for $12 each...http://amzn.to/ZOAz30

or look on ebay for used ones. i found a set of 3 used decas going for 8 bucks
http://www.ebay.com/...=item27d0495594

then sell the bbc units they send ya to make up the cost

Edited by viclovr, 02 March 2013 - 09:09 PM.

I may not know as much as the experts but neither did the experts when they themselves were novices.

#6 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,486 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

You can get the DECA's from ebay for about $10 each. If all that you really want is Intenet access on your DVR's, you only need one of them for the DVR that's not located right next to the Wireless CCK. You also need 3 Band Stop Filters (one for the DVR next to the CCK and for one for each of the receivers). You can get them on ebay for about $2 each.

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

Basically, without a Whole Home setup DirecTV is not going to send you a DECA. What you can get from them is a wireless CCK which will allow you to connect one DVR to the Internet. While that same CCK can be used to get Internet to all of your DVRs, that will not be possible until you turn on Whole Home and have DECAs attached to the other DVRs. If it is just Internet that you want and you don't have the ability to run Ethernet to each of your receivers, you will need a wireless CCK at each receiver. As for the cost of the wireless CCK, it is generally around $30 with shipping.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#8 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:31 AM

Basically, without a Whole Home setup DirecTV is not going to send you a DECA. What you can get from them is a wireless CCK which will allow you to connect one DVR to the Internet. While that same CCK can be used to get Internet to all of your DVRs, that will not be possible until you turn on Whole Home and have DECAs attached to the other DVRs. If it is just Internet that you want and you don't have the ability to run Ethernet to each of your receivers, you will need a wireless CCK at each receiver. As for the cost of the wireless CCK, it is generally around $30 with shipping.

- Merg

setup an order for my ex-wife for teh cck - it was in the cart at 99.00 + shipping extra. Where did you see it for 30.00? Solidsignal had it at 69.00

#9 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:27 AM

setup an order for my ex-wife for teh cck - it was in the cart at 99.00 + shipping extra. Where did you see it for 30.00? Solidsignal had it at 69.00

eBay has one for $24.99.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#10 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,659 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:30 AM

I've quoted that same $30.00 price. Finally found it again on the new site. Go to On-Demand and click on CCK. It takes you to Equipment accessories and select the Self-Install CCK - it mentions connecting to your wireless router. $25 plus shipping.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

I've quoted that same $30.00 price. Finally found it again on the new site. Go to On-Demand and click on CCK. It takes you to Equipment accessories and select the Self-Install CCK - it mentions connecting to your wireless router. $25 plus shipping.

+1

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#12 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,659 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

And that's actually a very good buy. Most of the game adapters or stand alone bridges like the WGA-600N or WET-610N are in the $70-100 range.

Plus the WCCK is a very versitile device. While it has Coax in and passthrough and an ethernet jack, it can be a DECA replacement and a CCK via wireless connection back to your router.

Or you can use it standalone as a wireless bridge just like those I mentioned.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#13 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:08 AM

still shows 99.00 not sure what is going on. will call them and talk to csr

#14 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,486 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

Their site is showing $99 for me too. It's also requiring me to add an HD DVR to the order, even though I already have 3 HD-DVR's. Without adding a DVR, it won't add the CCK to my shopping cart. Once I add the HD-DVR the CCK also gets added. If I then delete the HD-DVR, the CCK also gets deleted.

It's a good thing that I really don't want a CCK and was just doing this to see what the website was doing.

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,021 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

Perhaps the discounted price is for WHDS subscribers.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,021 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

You also need 3 Band Stop Filters (one for the DVR next to the CCK and for one for each of the receivers).

This sounds like bad advice.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#17 OFFLINE   waylonrobert

waylonrobert

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

You can get the DECA's from ebay for about $10 each. If all that you really want is Intenet access on your DVR's, you only need one of them for the DVR that's not located right next to the Wireless CCK. You also need 3 Band Stop Filters (one for the DVR next to the CCK and for one for each of the receivers). You can get them on ebay for about $2 each.

Why does he need BSF's? He should only need a BSF if he has an SD receiver and/or an H20. He has listed neither of those.

#18 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

If you strike out, here's a decent deal >

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f22b521c0
Vin

#19 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,486 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

Why does he need BSF's? He should only need a BSF if he has an SD receiver and/or an H20. He has listed neither of those.

He already has the CCK directly connected to one DVR via Ethernet. If he's only looking to add Internet access to his second DVR's, so that he can access VOD and isn't trying to add MRV, then he only needs to run the Coax through the CCK and add a DECA to that second DVR. At that point, both of his DVR's will have Internet access.

However, now that he will have added Internet to the Coax, he will need to filter it back out at the other receivers. He could do this with a DECA at each location. But that's not necessary. He can accomplish the same thing with a less expensive BSF at each of those locations.

#20 OFFLINE   cwtech

cwtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

believe you are confused on what a bsf actually filters, the bsf only filters the MRV/whole home frequencies, so what you are trying to get him to use the bsf for is redundant because the bsf isnt filtering the internet. considering he dont want mrv/whole home he has a couple options to accomplish what he wants. 1 he can just run ethernet to the other hddvr for internet. 2 buy another wcck for the other receiver, or 3 buy 2 receiver decas, hook the wcck up through the coaxial connection with the receiver decas connected at each receiver. He does not need a band stop filter period and never will, a band stop filter is placed behind a standard def receiver to block the mrv/whole home frequencies only ( with a few exceptions such as in a swm system with a hr20-100 )

Protected By... spam firewall...And...