Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV Won't Send DECA's?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:52 AM

If you strike out, here's a decent deal >

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f22b521c0

thanks but called and got it for the price I wanted to pay on the first try, besides, I rarely buy from fleabay and only as a last resort

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   waylonrobert

waylonrobert

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

He already has the CCK directly connected to one DVR via Ethernet. If he's only looking to add Internet access to his second DVR's, so that he can access VOD and isn't trying to add MRV, then he only needs to run the Coax through the CCK and add a DECA to that second DVR. At that point, both of his DVR's will have Internet access.

However, now that he will have added Internet to the Coax, he will need to filter it back out at the other receivers. He could do this with a DECA at each location. But that's not necessary. He can accomplish the same thing with a less expensive BSF at each of those locations.

Sorry, but that is not what a BSF (band stop filter) is used for. I suggest you examine some literature on what a BSF is and does, for example this diagram (http://manuals.solid...p Filter LR.pdf) shows when you would need to use a BSF. Might also read this thread (http://forums.solids...ntial-customers) ). In short, only on SD receivers and/or specific receivers that need it (H20, HR20-100). Additionally, any SWiM equipment made after 2009 does not need a BSF at all.

#23 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,521 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

In this thread, when I was trying to do essentially the same thing that tw0052 is asking about, at a friend's house, I was told by veryoldschool that, if I added a coax to a wireless CCK, and then connected that coax to any receivers that don't have an internal/external DECA, then I would need to connect a BSF to each of those receiver.

From that thread (all quotes from VOS's posts)

Now you can connect a coax to it to feed the location you want, "but" all the receivers will need BSFs to keep the DECA signal from their SAT input.

"The problem is" the DECA signal is VERY HIGH compared to the SWiM levels and this can cause the SAT tuner to have problems if the DECA gets to it.

In this case anything without an internal/external DECA should have a BSF.

In the picture of the WCCK, there isn't a coax connected, so it doesn't, "but" should you connect a coax, and/or use the pass through to feed a receiver that doesn't have an internal/external DECA, "then" a filter is needed.

An active DECA on the coax means the signal travels all through the coax to all the receivers.

If there's anyone at DBStalk who's technical knowledge I respect, it's VOS. So, until he retracts what he told me, I'm sticking with the statement that once the OP puts a CCK on his coax network, then he either needs a DECA or a BSF on all of his receivers that don't have an internal DECA.

#24 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:19 AM

He already has the CCK directly connected to one DVR via Ethernet. If he's only looking to add Internet access to his second DVR's, so that he can access VOD and isn't trying to add MRV, then he only needs to run the Coax through the CCK and add a DECA to that second DVR. At that point, both of his DVR's will have Internet access.

However, now that he will have added Internet to the Coax, he will need to filter it back out at the other receivers. He could do this with a DECA at each location. But that's not necessary. He can accomplish the same thing with a less expensive BSF at each of those locations.

believe you are confused on what a bsf actually filters, the bsf only filters the MRV/whole home frequencies, so what you are trying to get him to use the bsf for is redundant because the bsf isnt filtering the internet. considering he dont want mrv/whole home he has a couple options to accomplish what he wants. 1 he can just run ethernet to the other hddvr for internet. 2 buy another wcck for the other receiver, or 3 buy 2 receiver decas, hook the wcck up through the coaxial connection with the receiver decas connected at each receiver. He does not need a band stop filter period and never will, a band stop filter is placed behind a standard def receiver to block the mrv/whole home frequencies only ( with a few exceptions such as in a swm system with a hr20-100 )

IOW, what Bill means in the highlighted portion of his quote above, is that by adding internet access to the two DVRs by means of the DECA (MoCA) network signal now introduced on to the satellite coax install, DECA BSFs for the cheaper option will now be needed at the inputs of the two H21s to prevent the strong (comparatively speaking) network signal from reaching their satellite tuners and potentially causing interference to them.

#25 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,521 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

^ Exactly. Thank you.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...