Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What wiring setup will I need?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MattScahum

MattScahum

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

I currently have 5tvs, 4 hd receivers and 1 hd dvr. I am moving to a new location and I will be prewiring for 6 rooms and adding either.a genie.ir another hd dvr. Currently have 1 wire to each tv and I need to know what I will need when wiring the home in the next 2 weeks or so. Any help will be greatly appreciated
Even though I am an employee, my thoughts/comments/ideas are mine and not affiliated whatsoever with Directv as a company/employer/etc.

~TV Setup~

Panasonic 42PZ80U
Onkyo TXSR606
Xbox 360 250gb Slim
Samsung BDP-1500 Blu Ray
DirecTV HR24-500 HD DVR
Monster Power 1600
Harmony One remote

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

For DirecTV, I would run Ethernet to the location where the Genie will be. This way you can connect to the Internet hard-wired, rather than wirelessly.

That having been said, since so many other components can now be networked, I would run Cat-6 to everywhere that I would expect to have any electronic equipment.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,469 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

You need 4 wires from the dish location to where main distribution point is. from here you need on coax cable to every room you want a DirecTV receiver. You can either run coax to modem/gateway location to connect the CCK there or run ethernet to the Genie location to connect directly. Don't forget to pass the wires from the dish through your electrical house ground
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   ryanh9992

ryanh9992

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

Your best bet is a SWM system especially with the HDDVR, one line everywhere you go. It will also allow you to move your equipment around if needed. And like the prior posts keep the internet hard wired.
DirecTV Technical Support
My opinions and comments herein are of my own and in no way represent those of my employer

#5 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 795 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

My suggestion, is four wires from the roof to the distribution point for your cables (functions nicely with a SWM LNB and enough cables for a SWM-16 or even a E* system) then two RG-6 lines from that point to each room, as well as two CAT-6 lines to each room. Keep one RG-6 line hidden away if you want.
My reasoning for having two is this will give you future expandability (yes D* only needs one but who knows what you'll want to do in the future) and it can also be a selling point years down the road. Plus cable is cheap, and it's easier to wire everything at once then go back later and do it.
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#6 OFFLINE   MattScahum

MattScahum

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:27 AM

Thank you for the responses. I already took care of ethernet access in all necessary rooms. I was just unsure of amount of coax to dish location. I assumed if I only added a 2nd hddvr I would keep my swm the way it was since that would be 8 tuners. The genie is what threw me so glad my thinking was correct
Even though I am an employee, my thoughts/comments/ideas are mine and not affiliated whatsoever with Directv as a company/employer/etc.

~TV Setup~

Panasonic 42PZ80U
Onkyo TXSR606
Xbox 360 250gb Slim
Samsung BDP-1500 Blu Ray
DirecTV HR24-500 HD DVR
Monster Power 1600
Harmony One remote

#7 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

We currently have 3 RG6 lines ran to each room. One for Directv, One for OTA and the 3rd for Comcast. We have basic cable mainly for the cable modem, a few local access channels and a very few that Directv does not have.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

spam firewall