Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New DirecTV Dealer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mhammett

mhammett

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

I am setup as a new DirecTV dealer. I signed up primarily to offer my Internet customers a video option. I have been an enthusiast DirecTV customer, so I had already bought some tools a while back to hook everything up.

That said, I think I've lost most of them by now, they're rusted or otherwise not something I'd want to use. Recommendations for tools to get? I'm likely to pickup a NIB Birdog USB from a friend. It's not the latest device, it'll do the job and I'd imagine priced right. Looking for crimper, stipper, etc. recommendations.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   philtec

philtec

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 47 posts
  • LocationPhila PA

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

I am setup as a new DirecTV dealer. I signed up primarily to offer my Internet customers a video option. I have been an enthusiast DirecTV customer, so I had already bought some tools a while back to hook everything up.

That said, I think I've lost most of them by now, they're rusted or otherwise not something I'd want to use. Recommendations for tools to get? I'm likely to pickup a NIB Birdog USB from a friend. It's not the latest device, it'll do the job and I'd imagine priced right. Looking for crimper, stipper, etc. recommendations.

What internet service do you offer? (My location Phila PA 19149)
My 2 year contract with verizon dsl was over 2 months ago.
Verizon sucks so bad I could write a book about the hours and hours on the phone to CS at India, Philippines and Cost Arica.
My only other option is comcast ,which is not going to happen.
FIOS might be wired up here soon, so I will be signing up as soon as it is.
Thanks

#3 OFFLINE   JLester

JLester

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

We just switched to these at work:

http://www.belden.co...y-solutions.cfm

Granted, we do lots more BNC than F-type, so the non-blind entry is a huge plus, but they are awesome connectors. The Belden rep that taught our class bet us that no one could pull off a connector. One guy ended up doing it, but on closer look, he actually ripped the cable in two, the connector was still terminated.

#4 OFFLINE   mhammett

mhammett

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

What internet service do you offer? (My location Phila PA 19149)

I am just a small ISP covering a small area in Illinois. There may be others like me, but if they aren't listed on www.wispa.org somewhere, I wouldn't know where to find them.

We just switched to these at work:

http://www.belden.co...y-solutions.cfm

Granted, we do lots more BNC than F-type, so the non-blind entry is a huge plus, but they are awesome connectors. The Belden rep that taught our class bet us that no one could pull off a connector. One guy ended up doing it, but on closer look, he actually ripped the cable in two, the connector was still terminated.

Thanks. More than F-type, so in the broadcast\CCTV industries?

#5 OFFLINE   JLester

JLester

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

I am in education, so BNC for security cameras, RCA for head-end equipment, F for video distribution, etc. We've used Ideal for years, but the non-blind entry on the F-Conn BNC and RCA connectors is really a game changer. No more wondering if you hit the center conductor properly. I don't think we've made a single bad termination since switching.

#6 OFFLINE   mhammett

mhammett

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

I drive past the Ideal HQ warehouse, etc. about 3 or 4 days a week.

I drive past the main Panduit warehouse about the same.

;-)

Most of mine is cat 6, but now I'm adding F. Soon I'll have fiber too.

spam firewall