Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Reboot Genie (HR34)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mamoth

mamoth

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

I'm curious if others are having similar issues with their Genie. Basically, every week I am rebooting the Genie. Some of the issues I've seen is that all rooms (except the one with the Genie) were very slow to respond.

Another, happened last night, where the remote rooms showed a grey screen.

Both of those, I rebooted the Genie and it fixed the issues. Ever since we got the Genie, I'm rebooting about every week to fix some "odd" type issue.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Guindalf

Guindalf

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:02 AM

Does everything have a static IP address? The problems you are describing sound like they do not and are being assigned by DHCP.

I had a similar problem when I first got my HR34. I only have one other box, an HR22 in the bedroom, and it would regularly not see the programs on the other DVR. It was solved by changing to static IPs on both boxes and I haven't had an issue since.
There is no dark side of the moon really - as a matter of fact, it's all dark

#3 OFFLINE   bready

bready

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

I have been having the same problem. I called last week and they played ignorant of the problem, and told me to call back when it is locked up. I hope it is a software issue and that they get it fixed soon.

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

I reboot all 3 of my DVR's every weekend and never have any issues. I treat these like PC's, others dont.

#5 OFFLINE   mamoth

mamoth

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

I reboot all 3 of my DVR's every weekend and never have any issues. I treat these like PC's, others dont.

Yea, I figured I would do this as well. But seems pretty silly. Even PCs now-a-days (Windows 7/8/Linux) don't need that type of reboot schedule.

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:47 AM

Yea, I figured I would do this as well. But seems pretty silly. Even PCs now-a-days (Windows 7/8/Linux) don't need that type of reboot schedule.

I dont leave any of my desktops on anymore...unless I forget. Just for the heat and power consumption alone....so mine are usually rebooted almost every day anyway.

#7 OFFLINE   employee3

employee3

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:25 AM

Same issues with my HR34. I have multiple HR24s, HR21 and even an old HR20 which never lockup. The HR34 will lose network (while watching a program from it on an HR24). Static IP is there. Other times the HDMI will sync to my TV at 30Hhz with no sound. Sometimes SUPER slow where it won't even play programs locally.

Red button reboot is all that will fix it. None of my other boxes exhibit this kind of behavior.
C'mon people, it's just TV.

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:04 AM

I believe Dish still reboots their boxes nightly.

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

I believe Dish still reboots their boxes nightly.

I believe you are correct. The only difference is they do it automatically. I wish the Directv receivers rebooted automatically say once a month during an idle time with at least 15 minutes or so of time before the next program began recording.

#10 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:26 AM

I have been having the same problem. I called last week and they played ignorant of the problem, and told me to call back when it is locked up. I hope it is a software issue and that they get it fixed soon.

Heard that run around for a month plus. They are great at dodging the facts and passing the buck. Final words was cancel, then they perk up.... It's the blind leading the blind over there.

#11 OFFLINE   mamoth

mamoth

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

Better yet... let me choose when it reboots. And nothing records overlapping that timeframe. Replaced my TiVo's that I rebooted about twice a year.

#12 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

Yup.

#13 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

Was just in the "to do" area of my HR34 and it again locked up. No response whatsoever from my remote. 2nd time in 5 weeks. Only fix was a RBR.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#14 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:23 AM

Weird problem that started yesterday with a lockup on the HR34, still running the previous version of the software. The picture locked up on the screen but can still hear the dialog (live TV not a recording), had to do a RBR, system restarted went through all it's procedures came right back to the locked video with the dialog in the background.

Tried a different HDMI port, different HDMI cable and checked the port with the PS3 and it worked. OTA works also that is not run through a AM21.

Hopefully someone has a suggestion, or when I get home from work today will end up making a call to protection plan people

Protected By... spam firewall...And...