Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC reportedly ready to retire Jay Leno

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,204 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

From Hollywood reporter:

Is NBC preparing to announce Jay Leno's departure from The Tonight Show?

The network says categorically no, but two high-level industry sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that NBC is moving toward a May announcement that the 2013-14 television season will be the last for Leno as host of the long-running late-night show. Sources expect the network to move Jimmy Fallon from his Late Night spot into the coveted 11:35 time slot with a soft launch during the summer of 2014 before a formal fall kickoff.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 611 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

I think Fallon is far better, been pretty obvious after Jay "came back" that he has been trying to get some of those younger viewers. Of course I liked Kilbourne and think Ferguson blows Letterman out of the water as well. Even though I am in the target demo I still don't think any of the late night shows are even worth keeping on. Same with SNL don't know anyone my age or younger that has watched since late '90's early '00's when we were all in High School/College.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

Haven't we seen this movie before? :)

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,879 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

Deja Vu
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,169 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

Haven't we seen this movie before? :)

Deja Vu

+2

I do not watch the late night talk shows so maybe Jimmy Fallon can succeed where Conan O'Brien failed but it sounds like a big gamble
My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

Do we really even now need Jimmy Kimmel, Jay Leno, and David Letterman all on at the same time?

Of course, what do I know, I thought both Chevy Chase and Joan Rivers were great, LOL.

(but not Arsenio Hall)

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

Don't forget Pat Sajak!

#8 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

Good. Jay deserves anything bad (professionally) that comes his way.
DTV = Digital Television

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,705 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

I think that talk show format has ran its course.

I was a Carson fan... and an early Letterman fan. I liked Conan for a while... but now the whole genre seems a bit old and cliched to me.

That said, I echo the notion that Jay deserves a fall from grace. He has been involved too many times in poor passing-of-torch scenarios... to the point where I make a point not to be anywhere near NBC anytime before or after Leno so that no way do I accidentally get counted as a viewer of his show.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#10 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,038 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:02 AM

From Hollywood reporter:

Here they go again!
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#11 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,482 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:23 AM

The three networks are not going to give up the live ratings for the 11:35 pm -12:35 am slot. Nightly in the demo Leno, Letterman and Kimmel divide up 2.5± million plus 7± million in the 50+ crowd. The shows are relatively cheap to produce though Leno did get a bit pricy. But don't look for these shows to go away as they not only make money but they represent a means by the media companies to promote their other products while making money.

We record them and watch interviews we want to see plus Headllines on Leno.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:44 AM

I watched Jay before he was retired ... and Conan (even though he seemed to be childish and focused on a less mature audience). After the move to 10pm I watched both ... but with the "politics" attached to Leno's move back to 11:35 I left both of them. I tried watching Conan on TBS but have only watched a few episodes (The Daily Show and Colbert own that hour on my DVR). The only network late night I bother with now is Craig ... but not every night.

Back in the day I watched Carson and Letterman but when Letterman moved to CBS I started going back and forth between Leno and Letterman. Then I stopped watching both due to other changes in my life.

Leno gone again? I'm OK with that.

#13 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:59 AM

Letterman has seemed really old and passe for years. He has seemed bored with the gig for at least 10 years. His gags have been falling flat since the 90's. Why is he still around?

Leno gone? Fine. Stale and middle of the road. But Kimmel?? Yuck. His only funny bit was sex with Matt Damon. Fallon is the best of the lot, but he's kind of cold and off-putting. No sincerity or warmth to speak of. Has a frantic, nervous vibe. He could burn out in the early slot pretty quickly.

No Louie C.K., THERE'S a guy I'd watch at 11:30! But he's far, far too edgy for network.

#14 OFFLINE   Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:10 AM

I guess that the (desparate?) move to 1 min earlier (from :35 to :34) must not've helped enough, either. Seemed to have happened about the time Kimmel changed timeslots.

Although in this market Kimmel makes no difference (to me), since he's still delayed and replayed in sucky standard-def. Actually, the delay doesn't bother me (never did) but the low def thing has got to stop. KSTP must be about the only station still using pre-millenium tech to time shift ABC programming. Maybe it's getting about time to "have a talk with The Mouse!"

#15 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:02 AM

Do we really even now need Jimmy Kimmel, Jay Leno, and David Letterman ...

... on at all?

I haven't watched anything in that time slot since Carson left.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#16 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,879 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

I record Jimmy Fallon and Craig Ferguson but only watch if the guests appeal to me or I've heard of something that I "must see" happening on either show.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#17 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,646 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

I record the Tonight Show, and very seldom fail to get a great laugh or two or three from the opening monologue. Stick for guests I might like, or new comedians, or musical talent. I imagine Jay himself might want to get out now. Who knows?

Letterman was fine years and years ago on the Late Show, but I don't like his persona at all. Kimmel doesn't even merit these seven words.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#18 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,149 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

I like the Tonght Show too. I really like Leno and have paid to see himlive. It was no surprise when Conan failed because he's not funny and acted like a little kid with his own show. When Leno is no longer on late night I will probably look at his replacement or some of the other shows but as far as I am concerned he's the best and will be hard to replace.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#19 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,301 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

There are other channels -- several of them. H2 is one I like around the witching hour.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#20 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

I'm not a fan of Kimmel, but do like Jimmy Fallon. One thing I do like about Leno, he still goes out there and does live standup.

Plus his tour to Wilmington Ohio (and other cities like Detroit I believe) was quite well received there.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...