Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC reportedly ready to retire Jay Leno

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,734 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

Actually, even the gray lady herself, the New York Times refers to a sitting President as Mr, at least after the first reference.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

The NYT has the credibility and quality of used cat litter nowadays. 

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#183 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

It's "The Official Guide to Names, Titles, and Forms of Address" by "The Protocol School of Washington".

Which has it's HQ in Columbia SC.

It is about as official as the French male model in the State Farm TV commercial.

Edited by trh, 12 July 2013 - 04:09 AM.

#184 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,529 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:37 PM

Which has it's HQ in Columbua SC.

It is about as official as the French male model in the State Farm TV commercial.

Bone Joooor

:D

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#185 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:39 AM

Which has it's HQ in Columbia SC.

Ok, then if basing whether they are "Official" or not depends on their geographic location that eliminates you as an authority too.  :)

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#186 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

I'm just interested in a real source. I found one in Britian dealing with how to address former Prime Ministers, but nothing related to US Presidents.

#187 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

I'm just interested in a real source. I found one in Britian dealing with how to address former Prime Ministers, but nothing related to US Presidents.

You were given 2 sources...

Here's more however I have a feeling no matter how many are given you still won't be satisfied.

http://www.ehow.com/...-president.html

http://www.democrati...ess=104x2340220

http://articles.wash...-president-wife

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#188 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:22 PM

As I said before, isn't there an official guide on this?

And it isn't that I disagree with how to address a former President.  I'm just curious as to a bona fide source and why (although the Miss Manners link you posted has the best indication I've read so far -- dealing when President Washington left office). 

#189 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

As I said before, isn't there an official guide on this?

And it isn't that I disagree with how to address a former President.  I'm just curious as to a bona fide source and why (although the Miss Manners link you posted has the best indication I've read so far -- dealing when President Washington left office). 

I gave you Miss Manners/Washington Post, Emily Post (The authority on etiquette) and "The Official Guide to Names, Titles, and Forms of Address".  If you don't believe them you're not going to believe anyone.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#190 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,578 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:16 PM

So ... is this thread about Jay Leno's retirement anymore? :confused:

Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#191 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

So ... is this thread about Jay Leno's retirement anymore? :confused:

thread.jpg

My Setup

#192 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,956 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

Long before it was announced that he was leaving—perhaps not entirely of his own volition :smoking: — he was knocking the NBC brass at every turn. Kinda asking for it. Now he's taken the gloves off and put on the brass knuckles.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#193 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,578 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

Long before it was announced that he was leaving—perhaps not entirely of his own volition :smoking: — he was knocking the NBC brass at every turn. Kinda asking for it. Now he's taken the gloves off and put on the brass knuckles.

Which time?  There was some animosity when Leno left for Conan the first time ... being a top rated show where the host does not want to go and the viewers do not want the host to go backed up Leno's side of the argument. Now it seems to be a better orchestrated handoff - a decision made based on today's marketplace not a promise made five years ago to the younger comedian.

If Leno wasn't punching at NBC he might be the only comedian not doing so ... and poking at your network is a staple of late night comedians. Even ones who are happy at the network where they are (Craig Ferguson).

Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

spam firewall