Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC reportedly ready to retire Jay Leno

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,735 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

I record the Tonight Show, and very seldom fail to get a great laugh or two or three from the opening monologue. Stick for guests I might like, or new comedians, or musical talent. I imagine Jay himself might want to get out now. Who knows?

Letterman was fine years and years ago on the Late Show, but I don't like his persona at all. Kimmel doesn't even merit these seven words.

Leno is the biggest attacker of NBC ineptness and I can't imagine the constant attacks go over too well, when the big wigs get together in the conference room.

Instead of trying to improve their programs, they rather get rid of Leno.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,584 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

Leno is the biggest attacker of NBC ineptness and I can't imagine the constant attacks go over too well, when the big wigs get together in the conference room.

Instead of trying to improve their programs, they rather get rid of Leno.

Er, maybe. But ratings are pretty much indisputable... money talks, nobody walks. It seems almost everyone on NBC is knocking the network.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#23 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,616 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

Er, maybe. But ratings are pretty much indisputable... money talks, nobody walks. It seems almost everyone on NBC is knocking the network.

For sure.

Leno has said for many years how much more he enjoys doing standup (he sitll does Vegas gigs regularly) even more than the Tonight Show.

I suspect this is a favorable 2-way street to bring things to an end.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#24 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

If Carson was a "100" no current performer is more than a 45.

IMHO,

Leno - He is just not a very bright person. I really think he does not really get many of the jokes he tells. If they wrote a joke on the cue cards about Secretary of State Fred Thompson, he would read it with the same delivery as now.

Letterman - Used to be really good, but has grown in the last five to eight years into a one-sided political cheapshot artist. He should understand that Carson did political humor equally at both sides, all in fun, and without an agenda.

O'Brien - One of those Harvard types that thinks he is oh, so, funny. Isn't.

Stewert - See Letterman, above, but without the residual talent.

Kimmel - The next generation's lead guy. Broader appeal than Fallon.

Fallon - Will do well at 11:30, but not as well as Kimmel. Very urban.

#25 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,525 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

There are other channels -- several of them. H2 is one I like around the witching hour.

Been a very, very long time since I watched broadcast TV at all, let alone late night talk shows. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I have to shut Dish down at the end of this year.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#26 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,316 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

From Forbes Numbers Don't Lie: NBC Should Replace Jay Leno With Jimmy Fallon Now:

...That's important because the value of moving Fallon to 11:35 in 2014 is it would help NBC hold the line against ABC, which has made inroads with viewers age 18 to 49 since moving Jimmy Kimmel into that slot. Like Fallon -- and unlike Leno -- Kimmel has a footprint that goes well beyond his television audience, with a knack for producing videos that go viral on YouTube. (Kimmel's video of parents telling their children they ate all their Halloween candy has gotten more than 25 million views; Fallon's "Evolution of Mom Dancing" video with Michelle Obama has racked up more than 14 million plays in a few days.)

And Kimmel's Q scores are better than either NBC host's: positive Q of 16, negative Q of 22. Could we be looking at the new king of late night?

The issue not being addressed is will the younger audience watch late night broadcast TV? Or will they find other distractions?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#27 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,584 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

Lordy! Where is taste? It's hard to be pleased with the trend towards crassness in late night TV. It's been downhill since Jack Paar, and accelerating as we near (hopefully we are nearing) the bottom of the pit of boorishness.

#28 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

But Kimmel?? Yuck. His only funny bit was sex with Matt Damon.

What host was it that had a running joke about David Duchovny having a mancrush on him? Those were some crazy bits!
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#29 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

I never liked Leno, and have never watched Kimmel or OBrien.

I've been watching Letterman though since 1982. I'll admit, however, that even though I still record them all, I typically only watch about 1 per week (good guest, Jack Hannah, stupid pet/human tricks).

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#30 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:50 AM

phrelin makes a good point--how does all this play with the Millennials? This is a creaky and ancient format from 3 generations ago. It comes off like blackface and baggy pants comedians to Millennials. It's overkill on a grand scale, too many guys doing the exact same thing. It's really just a sleeping pill for the over 50 crowd. Millennials are online or texting or doing the nasty or all 3 after 11pm.

#31 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,211 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

...Millennials are online or texting or doing the nasty or all 3 after 11pm.

*txt* *txt* *txt*

"oh baby"

*txt* *txt*

"ooh ooooh"

*txt* *txt*

"aaaarrrrrrgh*

*txt* *txt**txt* *txt* *txt* *txt* *txt* *txt* *txt* *txt* ...

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#32 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

The issue not being addressed is will the younger audience watch late night broadcast TV? Or will they find other distractions?

Yeah, they're all pretty much recycling the Tonight Show format that's been around for, what, 50 years? I was a bit surprised that Conan didn't try to do something more outside the box when he moved to TBS, but it's just the same old same old.

Maybe John Stewart is the true alternative.

#33 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:12 AM

I actually know lots of folks who are busy DVRing The Daily Show and Colbert after the 11:00 news. They wouldn't watch one of those lame-ass formulaic talk shows if you stuck a gun to their head.

#34 OFFLINE   thirteen

thirteen

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:27 AM

As I think Mark Evanier pointed out on his blog, whoever is spreading this rumor waited until Leno went on vacation (for a week?) and so couldn't address it right away on his show. The timing suggests this is a negotiation ploy regarding Leno's next contract. I don't watch these shows anymore, and haven't in years; they're just not interesting anymore. Maybe they should bring back the overnight movie.

#35 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

At 11:30 most viewers want something safe, simple and predictable. They just want to turn off their brains, have a laugh or two and then go to sleep.

Leno addresses all of those points very well, and increasingly so does David Letterman.

#36 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,445 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

Further in the rumor mill, replacement for Fallon when he moves to Tonight Show, Howard Stern.

#37 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,584 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

Further in the rumor mill, replacement for Fallon when he moves to Tonight Show, Howard Stern.

OMG! The slide into the abyss continues....... I hope the mill is wrong.

#38 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,445 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

Me as well, though if I close my eyes while hearing him talk, I can pretend its Alan Alda.

#39 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,116 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

Me as well, though if I close my eyes while hearing him talk, I can pretend its Alan Alda.

and that's an improvement??

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#40 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:06 AM

They do sound alike, don't they?

spam firewall