Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC reportedly ready to retire Jay Leno

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

Yup. After incessantly making fun of the guy for years, he’s suddenly (and pathetically) trying to suck up to him, now?

That and he’s just not funny anymore. Even just a few years back you could count on getting at least a laugh or two. I could even respect him somewhat for not sucking up to celebrities (unlike Jay) while they come on to plug their “wares,” especially when played for comic effect. Isn’t the main reason people watch these late-time shows is to get a laugh? One thing I would say about the guy is that he can be generous toward comics (both veterans promoting something, and newer ones making 1st and 2nd network appearances).

It’s just unfortunate that he seems to be unable to keep from making an a** of himself when it comes to political issues. By far Dave’s not the only one, but lately seems the worst.

I was already “on the fence” but last night just pushed (and put) me off.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

That is where I like Jon Stewart ... Jon pushes the politics aside when it comes to getting a laugh. The Daily Show is about getting laughs - and although politics enters in he'll go after anyone for the laugh.

On the large drink issue Jon has had a field day. Jon and his writers love irony.

Most of the late night people are in the same rut formula ... and while Jon's show has it's own rut there is a uniqueness to it. And while guests come on his show to push their latest product/project Jon often turns the interview into anything but a plug.

#63 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,410 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

Interesting. For years now, I've recorded both Leno and Letterman and watched only the few interviews I wanted to see. Bloomberg was not one we wanted to see.

On the other hand, if he were on Stewart's show I'd watch it.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#64 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

On the other hand, if he were on Stewart's show I'd watch it.

If Bloomberg were on Stewart's show the first thing Jon would do is pull out a 32 oz drink ... or two. (He pulled one out on NY Police Commissioner Ray Kelly on the February 15th show.)

#65 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,211 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

I doubt he'd go on Stewart's show, because Jon would rip into him. With Letterman, the mayor is among friends.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#66 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

Looks like it's closer to a done deal, and moving back to New York.

http://www.nytimes.c...allon.html?_r=0

#67 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,211 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I don't find Fallon that funny at all. In fact, of all the current night show hosts, I think he's the least funniest.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#68 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:54 AM

http://www.hollywood...-fallons-430079

Apparently decision in now one of when. NBC wants February, during or after the Winter Olympics (time zones would mean it is 7 hours later in Russia, so no live events in late night).

Cannot happen soon enough.

#69 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:17 AM

as a kid I liked Johnny
As a teenager I liked Letterman
As an Adult I enjoy Stewart/Colbert and tolerate Letterman and Ferguson
But I have never found any fondness for Leno or the others.
I have never made it through an entire Leno show.

#70 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:12 AM

For me, Jimmy Fallon is out of his league as a talk show host. He was funny on Saturday Night Live but his talk show host skills have a lot to be desired. When I watch his show, I cringe. Unfunny to say the least. I don't think he is even close to be the "best of the lot". If he takes over the tonight show, it will tank.

I would rather have Craig Furguson. He's a bit silly but at least shows a commanding presence on the stage. Fallon is weak and needs to crawl back into his SNL hole.

#71 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,202 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

as a kid I liked Johnny
As a teenager I liked Letterman
As an Adult I enjoy Stewart/Colbert and tolerate Letterman and Ferguson
But I have never found any fondness for Leno or the others.
I have never made it through an entire Leno show.

You're not supposed to! The opening monologue is well written, well delivered, and yes, a few tank, but mostly a bunch of real laughs.

I liked Jack, Johnny, and Letterman on Late Night. Can't stand him today.

Fallon is likeable, and his takes on singers is great, but not much else. Ferguson is maybe too goofy for the staid Tonight Show.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#72 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:30 AM

I'd rather watch paint dry than Leno.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#73 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,276 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

For me, Jimmy Fallon is out of his league as a talk show host. He was funny on Saturday Night Live but his talk show host skills have a lot to be desired. When I watch his show, I cringe. Unfunny to say the least. I don't think he is even close to be the "best of the lot". If he takes over the tonight show, it will tank.

I would rather have Craig Furguson. He's a bit silly but at least shows a commanding presence on the stage. Fallon is weak and needs to crawl back into his SNL hole.

Ouch! That is pretty harsh, Chris.

I am not a big fan of any of the late night shows*, but of the lot, Fallon is, by far, the most talented. He is a very funny guy who demonstrates a balance of physical comedy, shtick and cerebral reparté. Given time to mature, I think Jimmy easily has the potential to develop into a late night host approaching Carson's caliber.

*I usually rely on the monotone narrations of an H2, ID or PBS to put me to sleep. Now, especially for member Rich: all of my BR displays have built-in sleep timers. I can't imagine leaving a 55" plasma on all night.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#74 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

I'd rather watch paint dry than Leno.

I don't want to watch Leno dry either.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#75 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

It is on NBC's SNL site:
http://www.nbc.com/s...ll-show/n10088/

I have seen it on reruns as well. I have to admit that Carvey's career took a nosedive but I don't think this had much to do with it.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#76 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,211 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

I DO miss the Church Lady, though. I sure wish he'd "resurrect" it.

#77 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

Well, after today's news I will never watch the Tonight Show again. Still think Fallon is not a good pick.

#78 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,211 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

I don't like him either. In fact, I find him boring and rather unfunny.

#79 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

Well now that it's a done deal....folks will just have to adjust (deal with it) accordingly.

Some folks will like the change, others won't.

Based on the changing demographics in the TV audiences...I suspect Mr. Fallon will do just fine. I'm not personally a big fan of his, but understand and acknowledge he has a solid (and growing) audience.

We'll just have to wait and see how things all turn out next Spring after the Olympics hoopla/hype that they'll predictably have for this change in Tonight Show hosting.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#80 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,160 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

If NBC was smart they'd bring back Jay's 10 pm show. As much as they b!tched about it's poor ratings as a lead in for the local news as far as I can tell it got better ratings than just about anything they've got on most nights at 10 now and I'm sure it's cheaper to produce!

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...