Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC reportedly ready to retire Jay Leno

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,355 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

I'm not predicting Fallon will totally bomb, but who wants to bet that his show's ratings won't be as good as Jay's?

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   txtommy

txtommy

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

I'm not predicting Fallon will totally bomb, but who wants to bet that his show's ratings won't be as good as Jay's?

I suspect that his ratings will be better than Jay's. I personally never did like Jay so it was a no brainer to watch Letterman. Didn't matter who the guests were, I caught Letterman for the monologue as I never found Leno the least bit funny. Now that there will be competition in that time slot, I'll probably go with whoever has the most interesting guests on any particular evening.
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.” -- Rogers Hornsby

#83 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

I suspect that his ratings will be better than Jay's.

I suspect maybe at first but Fallon will lose the older demographic very quickly. The younger audience will need to hold him up if he wants to survive.

#84 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

I suspect that his ratings will be better than Jay's. I personally never did like Jay so it was a no brainer to watch Letterman. Didn't matter who the guests were, I caught Letterman for the monologue as I never found Leno the least bit funny. Now that there will be competition in that time slot, I'll probably go with whoever has the most interesting guests on any particular evening.

I used to prefer Letterman over all the others, but Dave isn't even that funny anymore. The last couple years he has turned into an extremely partisan, bitter left-wing coot who does nothing but constantly rip on anyone right of center. I like political humor, but I do NOT like it when it's completely and consistently lopsided.

I suspect maybe at first but Fallon will lose the older demographic very quickly. The younger audience will need to hold him up if he wants to survive.

Considering that Leno's ratings are fairly high, and that he pulls in viewers from their 20s through senior citizens, there's no way Fallon will come close. Just because txtommy likes Fallon and not Leno doesn't mean Fallon's ratings will be better. I am still willing to bet they'll be far worse than Jay's.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#85 OFFLINE   txtommy

txtommy

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

I used to prefer Letterman over all the others, but Dave isn't even that funny anymore. The last couple years he has turned into an extremely partisan, bitter left-wing coot who does nothing but constantly rip on anyone right of center. I like political humor, but I do NOT like it when it's completely and consistently lopsided.

Considering that Leno's ratings are fairly high, and that he pulls in viewers from their 20s through senior citizens, there's no way Fallon will come close. Just because txtommy likes Fallon and not Leno doesn't mean Fallon's ratings will be better. I am still willing to bet they'll be far worse than Jay's.

And as an extremely partisan, bitter left-wing coot myself, I'd be willing to take that bet. I haven't watched a lot of Fallon due to the time slot, but going by the clips that I see replayed everyday on cable news shows, I see Fallon as far funnier than Leno ever was. I think he will outdo Leno in all age groups and talking with many others in my age group, I'm not the only one as you apparently think.
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.” -- Rogers Hornsby

#86 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

Leno has consistently pulled high ratings in the younger age group. He has consistently had a LOT of young people in his audience. Fallon is (a) not nearly as funny, (B) not nearly as popular, and © not nearly as broadly appealing.

NBC screwed up once before with this same mindset when they pushed Jay out and replaced him with Conan O'Brien, figuring Conan would pull in the younger demographic. Guess what? Conan tanked in the ratings after an initial spike. NBC just doesn't learn. No wonder it's in the toilet ratings-wise.

#87 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,094 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

I'm 35 and don't know anyone around my age who prefers or even likes Leno over Falon.

The reason Leno has better ratings is obviously due to air time.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#88 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

I personally know a LOT of people in their 30s and early 40s who think Leno is better than Fallon. Most of the umpires whom I assign are under 50, with the bulk of those in their late 20s to early 40s. They're predominantly more familiar with Jay because of his fame, and they also like him more than Fallon. Several, however, like Letterman and Kimmel.

#89 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

I'm 35 and don't know anyone around my age who prefers or even likes Leno over Falon.

You are actually in the young age group. Fallon is going to have a hard time pulling anyone over 50.

#90 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

I hope fox can get him, that would be great news.
Leno would clean all there clocks and then NBC would be 3rd to FOX and CBS.
Hr34-700 living room
C31-700 bedroom
H23-600 family room

#91 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,114 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

I figured there would be an announcement soon when I saw this ...
YS0jVU8fLc4
(Youtube)

It might be a good idea for NBC to pay Leno NOT to be on the air for a few years. Then again, it's NBC. They have managed to tank their prime time and now they throw out (again) their top rated late night. I wonder what they will mess up next.

#92 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

I'm 28 and like Leno ok. His headlines bit is funny. I like Fallon too. That's mostly because he's a musician (singer and guitar player). I like Letterman also, I think out of the 3 Letterman is more refined. Trusted by most people because of his run. Leno is the odd man out. NBC tried to replace him once already now. See how that worked out. Honestly I'd rather see Letterman because unlike most of the people my age (25-30). I HATE the new SNL, don't care for stupid jokes. Letterman is stable and is smarter than that. Leno is too because he's a car guy. But NBC is the REAL problem. So if anyone fails there NBC is the reason.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#93 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,796 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

Never liked Leno as a host. In his early days I liked him as a guest, but never as a host.

I used to like Letterman, but he grew old (literally, but also figuratively) over time.

I like Conan, but not enough to watch.

There was a time when the only way to see and get info about people was on these talk shows... but during my lifetime there have evolved all kinds of different (and often better) ways to get the same info... and I think that is as much a cause of drift from late night as the hosts.

I still prefer Carson.. but I don't know if even he would do well in the current climate which just doesn't foster that type of program well.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#94 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

One person whom I never stopped liking, even when he got old, was Johnny Carson. I never could tire of him, even if some of his bits might have grown a bit stale.

I'm not Leno's biggest fan. I admit that I watched Letterman religiously for years--decades, actually. Hell, when he used to do Viewer Mail, I actually had one of my letters read on the air! They did a bit using my letter, saying my name and all. That was way back when--a long time ago. However, over the last 5 years, he has grown not so much "old," which I can tolerate, of course, but old and bitter, cranky, and totally left-wing.

As I've aged, I have become more cynical politically, but I can't stomach total one-sidedness, especially if it's born of ignorance and stupidity. That's the biggest reason why I just don't find his show as funny as it used to be. I don't hate Dave at all; rather, I just believe he's worn out.

Back to Leno, though--the one show I love is the weekly one featuring "Headlines". I have always found it very humorous to laugh at everyday stuff like that. Makes me appreciate our humanity and our flaws.

#95 OFFLINE   Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

I (and most of my "peers") were also big Johnny Carson fans. Liked him since we were little kids and able to stay up a few lucky nights. No one in this format even comes (or ever did come) anywhere near wanting to stick around after the monolog and comedy "bits" to watch the "talk" part. Not even close. (When we were really little, the show used to run 90mins! Granted, all of TV was pretty much off going the air by that time of night, and there probably wasn't much else to watch.)

But even through the 1980s, Johnny was the king. You could stick around for Dave if you wanted, and he seemed pretty "cool and edgy" by those-days standards (as someone pointed out, the "anti-Carson"). Many of us did stay up to watch as we got older.

I love these discussions about all of the late night idiots.

#96 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,351 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

Dang it, just saw that Doc Severinsen is performing a few hours from me this month. Good to see he's still touring and still has the wind at 85.

#97 OFFLINE   txtommy

txtommy

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

You are actually in the young age group. Fallon is going to have a hard time pulling anyone over 50.

I've been over 50 for quite some time. Most of my friends are over 50. I know no one who prefers Leno. Most are glad to see him finally going off the air and moving Fallon into a better time slot where he is very likely to outdraw what Leno has done.

#98 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

Looking at their ratings now, I highly doubt he will outdraw what Leno has done. I bet you said the same thing about Conan, and we all know what happened to him.

#99 OFFLINE   Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

Not that Conan was all that great at the Tonight Show, but there's no doubt that Leno's prime time show helped to kill-off what might've been left of that audience.

Viewers were tuning out Jay's prime time show and not even sticking around for late local news. By then many NBC viewers were gone, and Conan wasn't even given any real chance to make the Tonight Show work.

Personally, I think any or all of that "talent" just should've taken a hike from NBC and walked if they couldn't get what they wanted, instead of just hanging around and being at the "mercy" of that network and its ratings. Can't really feel sorry for any of 'em, though.

It'll be interesting to see if Fallon can make a real go of it. Probably a good thing if he keeps it in NYC, and sticks w/Loren. It just might work.

#100 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:21 AM

Ah, who really cares anymore? :shrug:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...