Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC reportedly ready to retire Jay Leno

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:45 AM

In two years, when the dust settles:

Kimmel will be #1 on ABC
Fallon will be #2, but draw enough of a crowd to make money for NBC
Letterman will have retired, and be replaced by, nobody, with CBS returning to its "Crimetime after Primetime" format of showing reruns of its owned popular crime drama shows about three weeks behind current, a pure profit format.
O'Brien's contract will have been allowed to quietly expire.
All of the smug political commetators on all of the cable channels will have fallen from fashion as the nation tires of all the condensentaion from above.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:56 AM

In two years, when the dust settles:

Kimmel will be #1 on ABC
Fallon will be #2, but draw enough of a crowd to make money for NBC
Letterman will have retired, and be replaced by, nobody, with CBS returning to its "Crimetime after Primetime" format of showing reruns of its owned popular crime drama shows about three weeks behind current, a pure profit format.
O'Brien's contract will have been allowed to quietly expire.
All of the smug political commetators on all of the cable channels will have fallen from fashion as the nation tires of all the condensentaion from above.

Yep, interesting ... I do think that Kimmel is the best now of all of them, he's really come into his own, he's learned from Dave and Howard and interviews well, and he's quick with his comments. If you really listen to him he's really good with his responses to all guest comments. I'm also still a big Letterman guy as well but Dave probably only has a few more years. Fallon while a good guy just never seems comfortable when he's interviewing, it always seems like he has a nervous laugh, and Leno drives me nuts with his "I just gotta ask you something" in every interview over and over and over again. I also record Conan and he's ok when he has a good guest. I usually record all of them on the Genie and then catch the highlights during the week when I have a chance. And I usually ignore all politics in general anyway so not sure I ever notice any of the political items that have been mentioned here.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#123 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,332 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

Letterman will have retired, and be replaced by, nobody ...

No love for Craig?

One of the biggest issues I see is asking people to do a show that is different than the one that made them popular. The Tonight Show is the professional place to go for a late night TV appearance. Late Night is an aftershow with a less formal format. There may be some tweaks to the format as a host changes show but the hosts change format to match their new show.

Telling Conan he could have The Tonight Show but "you can't do THAT on The Tonight Show" makes the show different. And even if the networks do not interfere with the format there are different expectations of the 11:35 slot than the 12:37 slot. Perhaps Fallon will be not change - but I doubt it. He will end up doing someone else's show.

That is a completely different issue ... but don't expect the cable commentators to ever go away. They will change over time but it seems that the trend is to have more commentators at a time shouting over issues than to get away from commentary and get back to "just the facts" reporting.

#124 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

The best night host, was Steve Allen.

Everyone else, at best, have been a distant second.

+1! Used to watch his Westinghouse syndicated show instead of doing my homework. Smock smock!

#125 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:43 AM

No love for Craig?

Love him. I just don't think he will work at 11:30 and not against two younger guys, both with a head start at building an audience. The Market really has not yet spoken in regard to 3, or 4 if you count O'Brien, idntical format shows in the same time slot.

CBS can think outside the box, and, with the #1 primetime lineup and no profit on the backside (it does not own USA Network, the eventual destination of most of these shows) it can do a pure profit squeze of a few more $$ out of its shows and pick up a different demographic, and pick up the vaunted "cord cutters".

#126 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,332 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

I would not bet on "crimetime after primetime" working again. As DVR penetration and online viewing increases the need for additional plays of first run shows is limited. I understand that some networks have turned Saturdays into a rerun festival (or dumping ground for shows that didn't make it during the week) so it is not impossible to have a "second run" schedule but it is less needed.

I would also not refer to it as pure profit. Each network airing of the show costs money. CBS may be willing to pay for the reruns but I would not consider them free. (Even for CBS produced shows they are paying royalties for each airing. And if they own the show they are being paid for the USA airings. Nobody rides for free.)

#127 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

Ferguson is already the replacement for Letterman.
DTV = Digital Television

#128 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,594 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

Source, please.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#129 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

Source, please.

www.google.com
DTV = Digital Television

#130 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

www.google.com

Also the source for the meaning of life:)

#131 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,594 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

www.google.com

You cannot be serious. I asked in a polite way for your particular source.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#132 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

I don't think he has a source.

#133 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,332 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

Source, please.

www.google.com

Not a done deal ... both Dave and Craig are renewed through 2014 but Craig has not been tagged as a replacement for Dave.

"News out of CBS is that Craig Ferguson’s “Late Late Show” is nearing a deal that would keep him on the show at least through 2014."
"With Ferguson closing in on the deal, and Letterman also in negotiations to re-up for a couple more years, however, there is still an open question about who might replace Dave in 2014 or 2016 or 2018."
source

#134 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,726 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

Ferguson has said many times he does not want to replace Dave.

My money would be on Colbert or Stewart to replace Dave.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#135 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:56 PM

No he has not.
DTV = Digital Television

#136 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,332 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:56 PM

No he has not.

Yes, he has ...

Late, Late Show host Craig Ferguson says that he would like to see Jon Stewart take over for David Letterman if and when Letterman retires. Ferguson hints strongly that if Letterman stays, he'll stay, but if Letterman does indeed retire, he'll probably retire too.
source

“It's not been my lifelong ambition to host The Tonight Show or something like it,” he says. “Jimmy [Kimmel] and Conan [O'Brien], that's what they want and have always wanted. I think I'm pretty good at it, but it's not necessary for me to feel complete as a human being.”
source

Now, how about a source on your claim that Craig has been selected as the replacement for Dave? All signs point it "no". :)

#137 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:52 AM

Yes, he has ...

Late, Late Show host Craig Ferguson says that he would like to see Jon Stewart take over for David Letterman if and when Letterman retires. Ferguson hints strongly that if Letterman stays, he'll stay, but if Letterman does indeed retire, he'll probably retire too.
source

"It's not been my lifelong ambition to host The Tonight Show or something like it," he says. "Jimmy [Kimmel] and Conan [O'Brien], that's what they want and have always wanted. I think I'm pretty good at it, but it's not necessary for me to feel complete as a human being."
source

Now, how about a source on your claim that Craig has been selected as the replacement for Dave? All signs point it "no". :)

If you are going to post a source, you may want to post something that actually says what you claim.
DTV = Digital Television

#138 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,726 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

No he has not.

Yes, he has...

http://tvseriesfinal...etterman-14194/
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#139 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,726 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:01 AM

If you are going to post a source, you may want to post something that actually says what you claim.

He did.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#140 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

OOPS!

spam firewall