Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC reportedly ready to retire Jay Leno

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,879 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

Step 2: Seth Meyers gets 'Late Night' host gig
http://www.cnn.com/2...ight/index.html

(CNN) -- "Saturday Night Live" writer-performer Seth Meyers will take over NBC's "Late Night" show next year when current host Jimmy Fallon moves to "The Tonight Show," NBC announced Sunday.

SNL executive producer Lorne Michaels will also be the executive producer of "Late Night with Seth Meyers." He was also named executive producer of "The Tonight Show" earlier this year when the network announced Fallon would replace Jay Leno.

No premiere date has been announced, but NBC has said Leno's exit and Fallon's debut will coincide with the Winter Olympics coverage in 2014.

Hopefully this means SNL will be watchable again with Seth gone.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:08 AM

Leno rises as others fall.

I used to watch Letterman religiously, loving his sardonic wit, his "grumpy old man" sarcasm. However, all that changed. I don't remember when--perhaps it was during the 2008 presidential campaign of Obama. The date's not that important. What matters is that this once very funny guy has turned into nothing less than a left-wing partisan hack, totally one-sided. Bush has been out of office for 4 1/2 years now, and Letterman still makes him the butt of his jokes, blaming him for the country's ills. 

Example: I was flipping channels last night and caught Dave's monologue. In it, he was making fun of Bush, showing Bush in Africa with the natives (W. has been there with wife Laura the last several days doing charity work), mocking Bush's attempt to do native dances. Letterman labeled the bit "This day in a presidential moment". Uh, Dave, Bush isn't president anymore, so how could it be a "presidential moment"? Besides, who gives a rat's patootie? 

Really, Dave, these jokes, all of them slamming Republicans, have gotten sooooo old. If you're going to be political, something I do not mind at all, at least be bipartisan and go after both sides, something your competitors do on a more frequent basis. 

Honestly, Letterman used to be the funniest night talk show host. (He was actually Johnny's personal choice to replace him, but NBC decided otherwise back then.) I watched his show regularly over all the others. I haven't done that now in 4 or 5 years, except for one, single show of his--his last show before Christmas, when he has Darlene Love on to sing her famous rendition of "Christmas". That annual show is one to which I look forward every year.

• cdc101 likes this

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#163 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

Well, when I see a former President doing an interview, they are still called "Mr. President." Heck, Newt Gingrich is still called "Mr. Speaker".

#164 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

This is something I've never been able to understand. If you're no longer president or speaker, why be referred to as one? I'm sure it's just me, but I've always found it to be stupid. 

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#165 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

This is something I've never been able to understand. If you're no longer president or speaker, why be referred to as one? I'm sure it's just me, but I've always found it to be stupid. 

The position (if not the person) is respected enough that once the position is obtained the person is honored with the title beyond their time of service. You see this with military ranks for example "general" or even "sergeant" is a respected title. You see this in politics where governors keep the title. With the presidency being both a military and high political role it makes perfect sense to have the title outlive the time of service.

It happens in the private sector too ... people are called "coach" long after their coaching days are over - although keeping the title of president, speaker, general or governor is a professional courtesy more than a nickname or casual honor.

Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#166 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

With a general or sergeant or similar military person, though, they're still considered of that rank after they retire, assuming they hadn't been stripped of it. Newt Gingrich should still be referred to as "former Speaker of the House".

But back to Leno et. al. :D

#167 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:25 PM

You are forgetting that the president is the leader of the country's military? Why wouldn't THAT rank be kept?

Speaker of the house is third in line to the presidency ... it is an important role in our country.

Most of the time the "former" part is dealt with in introductions and then the conversation continues using the title without emphasizing the "former" part. It is what our society does. At least the polite part of society. (And it doesn't matter if the president is 39, 41, 42 or 43 ... or the other honored person is someone you like or not ... the honor is for life.)

DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#168 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

You are forgetting that the president is the leader of the country's military? Why wouldn't THAT rank be kept?

The president is the Commander-in-Chief and has no rank because he's a civilian. The Framers wanted to make sure that a civilian, elected for a period of time, would be the superior authority over the military. Once a president leaves office, is he still considered Commander-in-Chief? No.

Speaker of the house is third in line to the presidency ... it is an important role in our country.

And next is President Pro Tempore of the Senate, but do we refer to him when he is no longer a senator as President Pro Tempore? No

Most of the time the "former" part is dealt with in introductions and then the conversation continues using the title without emphasizing the "former" part. It is what our society does. At least the polite part of society. (And it doesn't matter if the president is 39, 41, 42 or 43 ... or the other honored person is someone you like or not ... the honor is for life.)

Then call him President Emeritus.

#169 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:39 PM

And next is President Pro Tempore of the Senate, but do we refer to him when he is no longer a senator as President Pro Tempore? No

He's just not as important. Gotta make the podium. (We could call him senator, even after he ceases being one.)

Then call him President Emeritus.

He has a title. We call him president. :)
  • beachcamp likes this

#170 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

But he's not president anymore. That's my point. ;)

#171 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

The point is, nobody else cares. The title survives the job - whether you like the practice or not.

#172 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,705 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

You also aren't Lord Vader... I'm not Ralph Wiggum, and I'm pretty sure James isn't Dug from Up!

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#173 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,346 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

We're not the only country to do this either.

#174 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:02 PM

You also aren't Lord Vader... I'm not Ralph Wiggum, and I'm pretty sure James isn't Dug from Up!

That's debatable. :P

#175 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:13 AM

I've heard so many retire veterans introduced by their rank, just like interviewers talking to retired politicians and saying "Mr. Mayor/Goveror/Senator/President/etc" that it doesn't raise an eyebrow.

#176 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

I'm sure it doesn't raise an eyebrow. For politicians, however, it's just stupid. They're elected to a term of office. Military persons are not. They retain their ranks until and unless stripped of them or demoted by a superior. 

#177 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,879 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

This is supposedly the "official" document on how to address a former President.  It is incorrect to call him President.

http://www.formsofad..._US_former.html

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#178 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,346 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

This is supposedly the "official" document on how to address a former President. It is incorrect to call him President.

Why is this the "official" guide? Doesn't the State Deapartment or the White House Protocol office have any guidance?

#179 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

This is supposedly the "official" document on how to address a former President.  It is incorrect to call him President.

From the referenced article:

The former office holder is no longer due the precedence and courtesies we extend to the current office holder. He or she speaks with the authority of a private citizen. We honor former office holder's service, but the 'form of address' -- which acknowledges the responsibilities and duties of office -- belongs only to current office holder.

I win!

#180 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,879 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

Why is this the "official" guide? Doesn't the State Deapartment or the White House Protocol office have any guidance?

It's "The Official Guide to Names, Titles, and Forms of Address" by "The Protocol School of Washington". 

Here's Emily Post saying the same thing:

http://www.emilypost...er-us-president

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...