Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Jackson, MS CW affiliate WRBJ flipping to Trinity, what will Dish do?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Registered
  • 576 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:00 AM

We are about to lose our current CW affiliate, WRBJ, to Trinity. Roberts Broadcasting, owned by two brothers who can't seem to run any business well, sold the station to Trinity in a bankruptcy sale.

This brings up some questions:

1. Once WRBJ flips to Trinity, will WRBJ disappear from the locals? I seem to remember that Dish (and DirecTV too) have an agreement with Trinity that they don't have to broadcast the local channel if they already carry the national TBN feed.

2. How will Dish handle the new, but yet unnamed, CW affiliate in Jackson? WUFX 35 is a MyNetworkTV affiliate that is favored to be the new home of CW, but may or may not take the affiliation, since this station was sold for $1 to a private college here, in order to give students the opportunity to see and take part in running a real TV station. The other possibility is our ABC affiliate WAPT, who only airs a SD feed of their radar on their second subchannel, could add CW as a subchannel in HD. If this occurs, would Dish still add CW if it goes to WAPT on 16.2? I ask this, because in smaller markets, it seems that Dish and DirecTV don't add CW if it's on a subchannel.

For those of you in the know, what do you think would happen here in Jackson once the flip occurs?

Edited by gor88, 04 March 2013 - 06:03 AM.
Add omitted wording

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

First CW has to sign an agreement with a local broadcaster.
second DISH has to work out an agreement for rebroadcast of that channel
Third you need patience while this transpires.

4TH you might try subscribing to a Super Station to get your CW..

#3 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

We are about to lose our current CW affiliate, WRBJ, to Trinity. Roberts Broadcasting, owned by two brothers who can't seem to run any business well, sold the station to Trinity in a bankruptcy sale.

This brings up some questions:

1. Once WRBJ flips to Trinity, will WRBJ disappear from the locals? I seem to remember that Dish (and DirecTV too) have an agreement with Trinity that they don't have to broadcast the local channel if they already carry the national TBN feed.

2. How will Dish handle the new, but yet unnamed, CW affiliate in Jackson? WUFX 35 is a MyNetworkTV affiliate that is favored to be the new home of CW, but may or may not take the affiliation, since this station was sold for $1 to a private college here, in order to give students the opportunity to see and take part in running a real TV station. The other possibility is our ABC affiliate WAPT, who only airs a SD feed of their radar on their second subchannel, could add CW as a subchannel in HD. If this occurs, would Dish still add CW if it goes to WAPT on 16.2? I ask this, because in smaller markets, it seems that Dish and DirecTV don't add CW if it's on a subchannel.

For those of you in the know, what do you think would happen here in Jackson once the flip occurs?

The CW and MynetworkTV arn't networks. Here KRON only has advertising most of the day.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#4 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 664 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

The CW and MynetworkTV arn't networks. Here KRON only has advertising most of the day.

??? The CW and MYNetwork ARE Networks. Like all of the networks(fox, nbc, abc, cbs) they show syndicated, local and informercials during the day and then the network programming at night/early morning. Not sure what yours do, but if your cw isnt showing the national cw programming, you might want to contact the cw network.(not your local cw affiliate).

#5 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 576 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

Actually, MyNetworkTV is not a network as defined by the FCC (I think that's right). There has to be 15 hours of network programming and a certain amount of E/I programming in order to be granted "network" status. MyNetworkTV themselves acknowledge that they are now only a "programming service".

CW, on the other hand, does meet the FCC definition of a network. IMHO, Dish and DirecTV should technically be carrying CW in any market where it is OTA, regardless of whether it is low power or a subchannel.

The most interesting thing is that the Nielsen numbers for Arrow and The Vampire Diaries (their most popular series) lately are almost as good as the NBC show in the same time slot, which is not saying much for NBC,

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

While I understand that it would be frustrating if you there is something you like on The CW, I wouldn't subscribe to the superstation if you have high speed internet as virtually every CW show can be streamed from The CW website though you have to tolerate commercials.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#7 OFFLINE   gor88

gor88

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 576 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

WRBJ flipped over from the CW to Trinity this past Friday.  Waiting to see who is announced as the next CW affiliate.  The Jackson, MS market is now the largest market without its own CW affiliate.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...