Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

After Fire..Rewiring from start to finish

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   redwolfib

redwolfib

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

I had a Fire in my home and all the Low Voltage was removed, I am doing all the Prewire for my direct Tv service myself I need some help in making sure my direct tv installer has the wire he needs from the dish to my Two HR24-100 and m Two HD825-100,All Tv's "4" and one Projector are HD Any Help would be so appreciated

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

RG-6 SCC(Solid Copper Core), if you have a SWM setup, then you will only need 1 run to each receiver from your splitter, if not, you'll need 2 runs to each from your multiswitch.

#3 OFFLINE   racermd

racermd

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

Advice from someone that has run cable in an existing home - run twice as much as you think you'll need as long as you're putting in the time and effort now.

Personally, when I wired our existing home, I ran a bundle of 2x RG6 and 2x Cat5e to every location that needed anything. It's often informally referred to as "whole home cable." You can even find bundles that include a fiber-optic line, should you be inclined to use that for TOSLINK, fiber-based networking, or anything else that could come up in the future (FTTH internet? Need that router in your upstairs office instead of your basement? Covered!)

If you have the space and can afford it, use in-wall conduit meant for low-voltage cables, as well. Then run a spare pull-line through it should you ultimately decide that you do, in fact, need more cable in a certain spot (and remember to pull a new pull-line at the same time for the same reason).

Yes, it costs a bit more up-front, but it's much less expensive and much easier than undertaking the same project later after the walls are patched up.

#4 OFFLINE   redwolfib

redwolfib

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

Advice from someone that has run cable in an existing home - run twice as much as you think you'll need as long as you're putting in the time and effort now.

Personally, when I wired our existing home, I ran a bundle of 2x RG6 and 2x Cat5e to every location that needed anything. It's often informally referred to as "whole home cable." You can even find bundles that include a fiber-optic line, should you be inclined to use that for TOSLINK, fiber-based networking, or anything else that could come up in the future (FTTH internet? Need that router in your upstairs office instead of your basement? Covered!)

If you have the space and can afford it, use in-wall conduit meant for low-voltage cables, as well. Then run a spare pull-line through it should you ultimately decide that you do, in fact, need more cable in a certain spot (and remember to pull a new pull-line at the same time for the same reason).

Yes, it costs a bit more up-front, but it's much less expensive and much easier than undertaking the same project later after the walls are patched up.

Thanks so much for your fast responce. I was thinking of putting all the hardware in a OnQ can and running 4 RG-6's to the dish it self Two rg-6 Two , cat59e and one Cat 6 to every tv since xboxes and Ps3 will need a hard wire for fastest conetion, what ya think?

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,231 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

Thanks so much for your fast responce. I was thinking of putting all the hardware in a OnQ can and running 4 RG-6's to the dish it self Two rg-6 Two , cat59e and one Cat 6 to every tv since xboxes and Ps3 will need a hard wire for fastest conetion, what ya think?

I assume you mean cat 5e (not 59e). I seriously doubt the cat 6 would do you any good. Properly installed and terminated cat5e will give you as much bandwidth as any home networking equipment can support. Cat 6 is much harder to terminate (properly), and if not done properly gives you absolutely no advantage over cat 5e, possibly less.

As to the coax, I ran 5 coax from the dish. Gives me either a spare or a coax for an off-air antenna should I use one.

Run your wiring to opposite walls in each major room, so when your wife wants to rearrange, you can handle it.

#6 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,933 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:06 PM

Yes, cat 6 instead of cat 5e is pointless. Cat 5e supports about 150 feet for 10 gigabit ethernet, cat 6 is only a little bit longer. You'd need cat 6a for the full 100 meters. 150 feet is probably more than adequate for most homes, so for any networking needs through the end of the decade cat 5e is all you need.

You may get some benefit from cat 6a a decade or more from now, as it may be able to support 100-150 feet for 40 gigabit ethernet, but there will be no 40GbaseT standard set for years, so no guarantees. Even the uncompressed digital stream from a $40,000 Red camera (higher than 4K resolution) at 60 fps using 12 bit color requires less than 10 gigabits, so 40 gigabits is pretty far away from being necessary in the home :)

You can go crazy trying to plan for every contingency and running gobs of wire all over the house. IMHO, best to just run what you need in a cheap flexible conduit with enough extra room to pull more. Leave a pull string, but don't count on it as those can break if you're trying to pull coax in a path that has a lot of turns. If I have to pull something new I cut all the connectors off at the far end and pull the entire bundle out, having it pull a new bundle in. You can always reuse some/all the cables in the bundle you just pulled out with new connectors installed.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...