Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Golden Boy

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

This looks to be yet another police procedural (yawn) with a 48-hours style partner pairing. And the lead, while I'm sure many women will find him attractive, seems like he has more of a serial-killer missing chromosome look than a TV cop matinee idol. Kinda creepy looking.

But as it turns out, the show is pretty good. Good cast, good writing, good acting. All the stuff you can't glean from the overload of promos. And the kid is starting to win me over. I think what makes it work is that the entire show, save the "present day" interview scenes with the future PC, is told in flashbacks. The audience knows the dramatic irony of where the story ends up beforehand, and what is interesting is how it gets there. They even tease us with the 34-year old commish having some sort of disability, obviously job-related.

I'm in, at least for now.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,127 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

Much to my surprise we are liking it too. The problem will be how many viewers follow it to Friday.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

Yeah, it seems more ambitious than a show that they already have scheduled to move to the death slot; usually a show with this buzz and this quality is typically kept in the big 5 viewing nights at least until it falters. I see that as a vote of confidence in bringing back Friday from CBS. Currently, with Cult moving there and Grimm coming back (yay!), I am recording more on Fridays than I have in many years. It does pair well with Blue Bloods, I guess. If it can build a lead-in and help BB make it to syndication, it probably will have served its purpose.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#4 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 494 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:43 AM

All I can say about it is, they have left the lead with LOTS and LOTS of room for character development. If it lasts, it could be a good ride. If people write the show off as having an unpleasant lead before he has a chance to develop, then it will have been a wasted effort. The viewing public is getting jaded about network series these days. :(
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,127 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

We'll have to see how the second episode of "Golden Boy" does tonight. If it gets even "Vegas" level ratings, it's going to be an interesting Friday ratings-wise. All five networks are running new episodes with CBS bringing back "Undercover Boss" to lead into the Friday premier of "Golden Boy" at 9 pm followed by "Blue Bloods."

Fox is no real competition since last Friday its shows weren't competitive against CBS reruns, with Fox's 9 pm entry "Touch" performing particularly poorly. ABC is consistently competitive. NBC will be the wild card with a new entry at 8 pm - "Fashion Star" - leading into the return of "Grimm" at 9 pm which last year did in the demo beat the finale of "A Gifted Man" on CBS.

Friday's could become very competitive though the total number of viewers available tends to be low, particularly demo viewers.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#6 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

All I can say about it is, they have left the lead with LOTS and LOTS of room for character development. If it lasts, it could be a good ride. If people write the show off as having an unpleasant lead before he has a chance to develop, then it will have been a wasted effort. The viewing public is getting jaded about network series these days. :(

Very astute observation, IMO. I think they will have to walk a tightrope between the character's flaws and his capacity for learning from his mistakes and prevailing. Too far on one side and the guy looks like a total screw-up which turns the audience off and heightens the preposterousness of the basic story, which is that a 27-year old beat cop becomes PC within 7 years. Too far on the other side and he's just a boring superhero.

But it appears that they are doing this just right. The key here is whether you can root for this character, and whether you can identify with him. So far, so good.

Edited by TomCat, 06 March 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,420 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:40 AM

In seven years he becomes the PC.

I have always thought the Chief of Detectives was a more interesting top job in the police department.

Drew
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR:HR34-7, Dn:HR24-1, MB:HR24-5, Bm:HR21-2, Kt:H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV '00

#8 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

Next ep out in the wild.

Seems like they are finding their way; you never really know what they really have in mind just from a pilot, because that is designed to get on the air while the succeeding eps are designed to tell a story and stay on the air.

I would rate this about at the same level I rated The Chicago Code, which I was pretty sorry to hear would not get picked up. I am pretty happy with the way this story is going, but next week looks like it may be difficult to watch.

There are a lot of really memorable shows that started out weaker than this one, and eventually found their way and thrived. Those that come to mind for right now include Star Trek TNG, X-Files, BuffyTVS. It took each of them a season or two to find their stride and actually become great shows.

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,127 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

Don't forget that the next episode is Friday at 9 pm.

My AV Setup

#10 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,127 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

In its effort to join with the other networks to play "Where's Waldo" with this show, CBS will run the Friday episode but will keep the show in the Tuesday 10 pm slot.

My AV Setup

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,644 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

I hope other folks are enjoying this show but the constant promotion pushed me away before I could even try it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,351 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

Didn't care for the pilot. And putting it in the Vegas time slot for two weeks really bothered me. Why couldn't they have done that when they were running reruns of Vegas?

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#13 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,495 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

I hope other folks are enjoying this show but the constant promotion pushed me away before I could even try it.

Same here, and Chi McBride doesn't help either.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#14 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

Didn't care for the pilot. And putting it in the Vegas time slot for two weeks really bothered me. Why couldn't they have done that when they were running reruns of Vegas?

It's due to the crapshoot factor. CBS had no real idea how GB would do before it aired, and so probably did not want to risk Do No Harm level numbers during the rating period (If I were a network programmer the whole DNH fiasco would probably have me and every other programmer a little skittish; the entire second season performance has been dismal for the nets this year). Also, when you decide on a start date for scheduling a show that implies where the end date will be for that season, so that comes into play.

It also gives them the option to shorten the season for Vegas if it falls more, and still have it and its reruns fill out a complete season schedule. Vegas has proven not to be a real winner; numbers are lukewarm for it, and it is likely on CBS's cancellation bubble. I was surprised at how much I liked Vegas and am rooting for its return, but it will never have a chance to have great potential in CBS's eyes, where GB is still young enough to give it hope.

But this:
http://tvbythenumber...-at-9pm/172517/
...is mostly unprecedented, especially for CBS, who does not normally make sudden changes late in the game. Without investigating it beyond the headline, my best guess is that this bodes well for how high CBS is on this show, and may be part of how they handle what to do with a low performer such as Vegas.

#15 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

We've only watched the pilot, and we're on the fence. I don't care for the lead - but I think that is partly what the character is supposed to be. Ambitious, ****y, unlikable, and (it seems) not willing to let ANYTHING get in his way.

The writing and storytelling was interesting, for sure. Not sure if that's "good" interesting or "bad" interesting. We'll watch a few more episodes and see if we end up keeping it on our list of things to watch or not.
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

Much to my surprise we are liking it too. The problem will be how many viewers follow it to Friday.

Just announced today, it's gonna stay on Tuesday. Good show.

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

Same here, and Chi McBride doesn't help either.

Always enjoyed Chi, I think this is the best role he's been given. Just my opinion.

Rich

#18 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,823 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

Any idea if they are going to rerun this weeks episode?
The voices were missing for the first 30minutes here.

#19 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

Watched, the 8 year flashback aspect is pretty confusing, the characters are good and messed up, the babes are cute, have no idea why those two guys hate each other, but overall it might be worth another viewing.

#20 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

Watched, the 8 year flashback aspect is pretty confusing, the characters are good and messed up, the babes are cute, have no idea why those two guys hate each other, but overall it might be worth another viewing.

The Kevin Alejandro character is threatened by the new guy stealing his thunder and becoming the alpha dog, and so has decided to blackmail him into submission. The Walter Clark character obviously does not like this, also does not like KA hitting a 17-year-old runaway female. The KA character is smart enough to see the potential in Walter Clark, and does not like the idea of being demoted to being only the second-biggest fish in the squad room. Interesting how just suspenders and a vest from an overpriced suit can make you not like that character. But I guess if I dressed like that my colleagues would probably hate me more, too.

Confusing is right; it was only after seeing the tombstone that I realized that "present day" was Clark as a young detective partnered with Owen. Up til then I assumed the PC era was present day, but it is apparently 7 years in the future. So there are backflashes, present day, and forward flashes to contend with.

This thing just keeps getting better and better. Owen's wife is a terrific character and a great addition to an already stellar cast, and the odd relationship between KA and Bonnie Sommerville's character is pretty interesting. I really like how they are really playing up how many flaws and how much to learn that Walter has.

The fact that Owen is "investigating" Walter is a pretty sweet layer to all of this also, and his line about "stay away from the poker tables; you've got a pretty bad tell" was the highlight of Ep 3. Either that or the final scene from the PC era which may bend our interpretation of his eventual relationship with KA. The storytelling here is beyond clever.

CBS is not really playing fair with the promotion; in Ep 2 they previewed Ep 3, and some of those scenes did not happen yet in Ep 3. I guess it is a pretty good indicator that you like the show if you spend a lot of time trying to parse out the scenes in next week's preview.

spam firewall