Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Golden Boy

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:22 AM

Any idea if they are going to rerun this weeks episode?
The voices were missing for the first 30minutes here.

Apparently not. I don't understand CBS on this one. Apparently they are running a rerun of "Hawaii Five-0" at 9 pm next Friday. They should rerun this past Tuesday's "Golden Boy" just to give it a boost.:nono2:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:03 AM

Apparently not. I don't understand CBS on this one. Apparently they are running a rerun of "Hawaii Five-0" at 9 pm next Friday. They should rerun this past Tuesday's "Golden Boy" just to give it a boost.:nono2:

I assumed that Vegas was going to be there. Isn't it? When does Vegas return? I really liked it as a period piece, NOT a procedural.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#23 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:38 AM

Ah, so KA hates him just because he's who he is, not based on some huge past event. Thanks TC!

#24 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:45 AM

I assumed that Vegas was going to be there. Isn't it? When does Vegas return? I really liked it as a period piece, NOT a procedural.

Per Wikipedia Vegas was moved to Friday nights at 9pm beginning 5 April 13.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#25 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,545 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

I have to admit that I really didn't think Clark had used money from evidence for the girl. I thought he had used his own money and was going to be able to slam Kevin Alejandro back into his place. I like that it makes him more flawed, but I don't like how dishonest that makes him. No matter the justification.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#26 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

Just checked the CBS website and all they show in full is last night's episode.

Rich

#27 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

Watched, the 8 year flashback aspect is pretty confusing, the characters are good and messed up, the babes are cute, have no idea why those two guys hate each other, but overall it might be worth another viewing.

Two alpha males in the same position (job) always takes some sorting out. They'll probably end up as friends.

Rich

#28 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

Ah, so KA hates him just because he's who he is, not based on some huge past event. Thanks TC!

Saw that same thing happen time after time in the Navy.

Rich

#29 OFFLINE   balboadave

balboadave

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

All three episodes are available on CBS.com. Just watched them last night. They even have CC available.

#30 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

OK, I am ready to go out on a limb after ep 4 and say that I think this is the best new TV show in recent memory, best since at least a year ago, possibly the best since Homeland. Actually, there are few shows better than this on TV now, and few that were ever better. And I think it is in the running to be the best "cop" show ever.

And it is not really a "cop" show, but it is. It is really about power and the struggle to get and keep and protect power, and the lengths people will go to in pursuing that. The police procedural aspect seems to be just the McGuffin, the central yet actually unimportant thing that is really only there as a device to give the writers a milieu to place this story in. It is really more of a soap opera or feudal conflict story, although terming it a soap opera really does not do it justice, since few of them are ever done anywhere close to how well this is done.

I always thought Kevin Alejandro was a strong, good, and appealing actor, but he is really knocking it out of the park with this nemesis role, where of course his goal is to appear anything but appealing. That scene at the river with his mentor was amazing. Chi is really chewing up the scenery as well; it is amazing what great actors can do when given a great role written well.

And the directing is top notch; that scene at the river could have ended with the last shot being the two interacting with each other (trying to avoid spoilers here), but this director, for whatever reason, ended it with a medium shot of KA walking away as shot from behind, which really subtley goosed the dramatic aspect of how emotional this was for his character. Could have been the producer's or editor's call, I guess, but this team really knows how to tell a story in a compelling manner.

Honestly, this might be a perfect drama; I can't find much wrong here, and everything seems to be done pretty perfectly. That is a true rarity in TV or even in movies (True Lies and Chinatown are about the only perfect movies I can think of at the moment). And as I said I love Kevin Alejandro, but his portrayal is so compelling that I would love to make him eat that $160 silk tie, collar stud and all. If he is trying to elicit a visceral emotional response from the viewer, mission accomplished. The new kid is not half bad either.

Edited by TomCat, 13 March 2013 - 01:18 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#31 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

...They'll probably end up as friends.

This is my feeling as well, that this is where this is headed, although it will probably take 2 or 3 seasons for them to get there. They already have developed a grudging respect for each others' formidability.

It's pretty clever how the writers have engineered all of the various reveals; as a viewer you at first will have half an idea why something is happening, and then boom, moment of truth, and you think "Oh, OK...That's why he is acting this way". I find that ability in storytelling to be endlessly entertaining.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#32 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

We're all caught up now, and I have to say, I'm sold. We are really, really enjoying where they're going.... which probably means they'll cancel it before they finish airing all of season one. That seems to be my track record - you've all been warned. :)

Curious to see where the Arroyo/Clark relationship goes... "seemed" to call a truce this episode, but can't forget Owen's comment to Clark about how "Arroyo can make nice to your face and then turn around and stab you full in the back".

The former commissioner being in jail was a nice touch. I too thought they were playing chess in the park. One of the rare times that I "didn't see that one coming". That's a good thing!
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#33 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

...Curious to see where the Arroyo/Clark relationship goes... "seemed" to call a truce this episode...

Maybe less of a truce and more of a detente, or a Mexican standoff. My interpretation of "truce" is something agreed to when you want peace, and my interpretation of detente is something you agree to when you don't want peace at all, but due to a "mutually-assured destruction" scenario, you agree to lay down arms if for no other reason than self-preservation.

And for GB, that is a solution once again ripe with possibility. I was thinking that this could only end badly but must go somewhere, but the writers basically put the war on hold and are letting it simmer beneath the surface as a way to underscore the bad blood between them. Brilliant.

Glad you're enjoying this, Sharkie; it's more fun when lots of folks are excited.

Nice sig, BTW.

#34 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

Maybe less of a truce and more of a detente, or a Mexican standoff. My interpretation of "truce" is something agreed to when you want peace, and my interpretation of detente is something you agree to when you don't want peace at all, but due to a "mutually-assured destruction" scenario, you agree to lay down arms if for no other reason than self-preservation.

And for GB, that is a solution once again ripe with possibility. I was thinking that this could only end badly but must go somewhere, but the writers basically put the war on hold and are letting it simmer beneath the surface as a way to underscore the bad blood between them. Brilliant.

Glad you're enjoying this, Sharkie; it's more fun when lots of folks are excited.

Nice sig, BTW.

Much as I like it, they'll probably cancel it. Happens every year.

Rich

#35 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

Maybe less of a truce and more of a detente, or a Mexican standoff.

Good call. Probably a better choice of words - definitely how I read the situation as well, which is why I pointed out the comments from Owen about how Arroyo would stab you in the back.

I can only assume that there's a knife coming from Arroyo at some point, and I'm anxiously awaiting the when & where of it.
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#36 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

Ep 5, not as good as the first 4, still better than most of what else is on TV.

#37 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

I'm enjoying the flash forward/back/forward thing they've got going on. I should have seen it coming that the sister would be part of the advocate group that Clark had a personal interest in... but I didn't.

We don't normally bother watching new shows - it seems like every time we try a new show it ends up cancelled before teh season is over. But I'm really glad we took a flyer on this one. I hope this one can shake our jinx and stick around for a while! :)

#38 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

I'm enjoying the flash forward/back/forward thing they've got going on. I should have seen it coming that the sister would be part of the advocate group that Clark had a personal interest in... but I didn't.

We don't normally bother watching new shows - it seems like every time we try a new show it ends up cancelled before teh season is over. But I'm really glad we took a flyer on this one. I hope this one can shake our jinx and stick around for a while! :)

Don't get your hopes up, it looks like it's gonna get canceled. Shame, I like the show.

Rich

#39 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

Don't get your hopes up, it looks like it's gonna get canceled. Shame, I like the show.

Rich

I don't undefeated why they'd cancel a show getting 8-9 million viewers each week. Are CBS's standards that high?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#40 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,194 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

I don't undefeated why they'd cancel a show getting 8-9 million viewers each week. Are CBS's standards that high?

If it's the worst performing show on the network, then why would they cancel something with better numbers to make room for next season's new offerings?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...