Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Golden Boy

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,622 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

I also hope it doesn't get canceled. That said, looking at Phrelin's ratings thread for the month of March, Golden Boy's viewer share dropped a little lower each week: 50.4% > 47.9% > 45.9% > 38.9%.
/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,619 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

If it's the worst performing show on the network, then why would they cancel something with better numbers to make room for next season's new offerings?

It's a little like building a baseball team. Stats are important, but trends are also important, as are where your team is expected to finish based on current trends, and who is in competition for open slots. There are a lot of factors. Will it be ripe for syndication? Will it ever get enough eps to get to syndication? How might it fare in global markets? What was the lead in? What was the direct competition? How much does it cost to produce, compared to a reality show that will get half the ratings but eat 1/15th the overhead?

There are a lot of moving parts, and it is very technical, but also far from an exact science, and a discipline that involves hunches. It also is still a crap shoot.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#43 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,892 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

I don't undefeated why they'd cancel a show getting 8-9 million viewers each week. Are CBS's standards that high?

That Friday showing a week or two ago must have scared somebody. Here's the site I use. As you can see if you scroll down, it looks as if it's gonna be canceled for sure.

But, I've also seen reversals on this site. They had The Good Wife buried a few years ago and it got renewed. All we can do is hope it picks up steam.

Just checked the latest update on that site. Still says it will be canceled. Shame.

Rich

#44 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

That Friday showing a week or two ago must have scared somebody. Here's the site I use. As you can see if you scroll down, it looks as if it's gonna be canceled for sure.

But, I've also seen reversals on this site. They had The Good Wife buried a few years ago and it got renewed. All we can do is hope it picks up steam.

Just checked the latest update on that site. Still says it will be canceled. Shame.

Rich

I generally rely on the same site. However, in the immortal words of Adam from Mythbusters "I reject your reality and substitute my own". ;)

Not that it'll do any good.

I'll hold out hope that somehow Golden Boy picks up steam in the next few weeks and can eek out a renewal, long as those odds may be. They don't miss very often on their cancellation/renewal predictions, and generally when they do, it's on series that could go either way. I don't anticipate them being wrong here, though stranger things have happened.
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#45 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,892 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

I generally rely on the same site. However, in the immortal words of Adam from Mythbusters "I reject your reality and substitute my own". ;)

Not that it'll do any good.

I'll hold out hope that somehow Golden Boy picks up steam in the next few weeks and can eek out a renewal, long as those odds may be. They don't miss very often on their cancellation/renewal predictions, and generally when they do, it's on series that could go either way. I don't anticipate them being wrong here, though stranger things have happened.

Yeah, when they practically guarantee cancellation they're usually right. Only show I can think of that was supposed to be cancelled and they were wrong about was The Good Wife, which is another show I thought was very good right from the get-go.

I do hope they're wrong about Golden Boy, just watched the latest show and I think it's better than Blue Bloods, which sits unwatched in my Play List.

Rich

#46 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,619 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

"McKenzie on Fire" has shown that they can put the war on hold and still deliver a really compelling drama. Nice to know they have that kind of range.

This ep concentrated on Bonnie Sommerville, which I would never have any problem with. Well, there is one problem; for an actress pushing 40 she is still so smokin' adorable I found myself drifting and unable to follow the story at times (that perfect bone structure would be hard to beat). Pretty good actress too. Veteran John Finn as her father was also pretty good.

I especially like how Owen has now been reinvigorated after having some fallow years recently on the job.

It would not surprise me, assuming they get the opportunity to go a full season or two, to eventually see a PC-future reveal where McKenzie and Walter were together.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#47 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:34 PM

With each episode we watch, i'm more bummed out at the prospect of this getting dumped!

McKenzie on fire was a good episode.

Scapegoat was pretty good too.  I'm curious to know what happens to Owen.  "Commissioner" Clark makes a comment about how a good friend taught him about being part of a team, and "if he'd only listened to himself, he might be doing my job now".  I want to know what that means!

Took a few episodes, but Mrs. Sharkie is totally into it as well.... which is probably the final nail in the coffin for this series. :)

Edited by Sharkie_Fan, 18 April 2013 - 02:05 PM.

"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

Protected By... spam firewall...And...