Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Whole-Home DVR problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   glen4cindy

glen4cindy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

I'm using my home network for my Whole Home DVR.

All of the sudden, my Genie cannot see ONE of my networked DVR's.

THAT DVR CAN see the Genie, AND all the others. Every other DVR can SEE all other DVR's.

There is just ONE DVR that the Genie cannot SEE.

I have RESET all DVR's, Routers, ETC. involved.

Nothing in the home network setup has changed, just from one day to the next, the Genie cannot see one of my DVR's.

No other issues with any other aspect of the system.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth

Icon

• Administrators
  • 564 posts
  • LocationAlabaster, AL

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

I'm using my home network for my Whole Home DVR.

All of the sudden, my Genie cannot see ONE of my networked DVR's.

THAT DVR CAN see the Genie, AND all the others. Every other DVR can SEE all other DVR's.

There is just ONE DVR that the Genie cannot SEE.

I have RESET all DVR's, Routers, ETC. involved.

Nothing in the home network setup has changed, just from one day to the next, the Genie cannot see one of my DVR's.

No other issues with any other aspect of the system.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I assume you've checked to make sure the problem DVR is still set to share its playlist...

Menu-->Settings & Help-->Settings-->Whole Home-->Share Playlist--> Select Yes and All Rooms

Probably not the issue if other DVRs can see it, but you could try toggling the setting off for a few minutes and then back on...

DBSTalk Site Administrator

U-Verse U450 w/Whole Home DVR

Cisco ISB7500 (upgraded to 1TB) >> 32" LG LCD
Cisco ISB7000 >> 60" LG Plasma
Cisco IPN330HD 46" Sharp Aquos LCD
Cisco ISB7005 (Wireless) >> 42" Philips LCD
2Wire/Pace 3801HGV Gateway

LIVESTRONG_logo_small.png - 2 Time Cancer Survivor

#3 OFFLINE   Guindalf

Guindalf

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

Are all units set up with a static IP? If not, assign one (outside the DHCP range).

I had the same issue when I first got my HR34 (connected to an HR22) and hasn't dropped since I did this.
There is no dark side of the moon really - as a matter of fact, it's all dark

#4 OFFLINE   glen4cindy

glen4cindy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

The "problem child" is an HR23-700.

It does still have it's playlist shared, like before, but, does not have a static IP, but, has an IP within the range of my home network like the rest of the DVR's.

This DVR has 2 ethernet jacks on the rear. For some reason, unknown to me, it likes to have the ethernet cable switched from one jack to the other perodically. Hard/Soft resets do not restore functionality of this jack. Only switching the cable from one to the other restores connectivity.

USUALLY, it lets me know this by giving a 169.254.x.x IP address. This time, I had a valid IP address, AND connectivity, but, no joy with the Genie.

Switching the cable restored everything.

The reason remains a mystery.

#5 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

Go to SWM Connection (supported) and your issue may go away.:confused:
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,957 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

It does still have it's playlist shared, like before, but, does not have a static IP, but, has an IP within the range of my home network like the rest of the DVR's.

This DVR has 2 ethernet jacks on the rear. For some reason, unknown to me, it likes to have the ethernet cable switched from one jack to the other perodically. Hard/Soft resets do not restore functionality of this jack. Only switching the cable from one to the other restores connectivity.

USUALLY, it lets me know this by giving a 169.254.x.x IP address. This time, I had a valid IP address, AND connectivity, but, no joy with the Genie.

The two jacks don't work exactly the same. I haven't had a 23, but did a 21 and did some testing on this long ago. "I think" the upper jack is what "should be used".
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   Guindalf

Guindalf

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

I'm willing to bet it will still drop. What's the reluctance to giving it a static IP?

#8 OFFLINE   glen4cindy

glen4cindy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

I'm willing to bet it will still drop. What's the reluctance to giving it a static IP?

I don't mind giving it a static IP.

That would be my next step.

#9 OFFLINE   glen4cindy

glen4cindy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

Go to SWM Connection (supported) and your issue may go away.:confused:

The SWM connection you speak of would require some sort of coax to ethernet connection at each HD DVR plus another such device at my router, correct?

If not, what type of equipment is necessary to convert to a DTV supported Whole Home DVR system now that I am on a SWM setup?

Thanks.

#10 OFFLINE   Guindalf

Guindalf

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

The SWM connection you speak of would require some sort of coax to ethernet connection at each HD DVR plus another such device at my router, correct?

No.

If not, what type of equipment is necessary to convert to a DTV supported Whole Home DVR system now that I am on a SWM setup?

All that is needed is a single coax connection to each receiver. The only ethernet connection is to the main DVR. The installer will supply the SWiM along with a power supply and, if needed, the new slimline dish. The CCK provides a wireless connection (assuming you have Wi-Fi).

Sharing is performed through the coax connection, not ethernet.
Thanks.

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,957 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

No.

Both the HR22 & HR23 would need a external DECA.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...