Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Two TVs from 1 Hopper

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Oilspot

Oilspot

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

Hello, just upgraded from two VIP 722, to a Hopper and 2 joeys. One of my 722s had mirrored TV 1, using HDMI and then Component cables to TV in MBR. Worked well and resolution was fine for Bedroom.

The tech was puzzled by this, but it worked fine with the Hopper too. Until today. Spent hour on phone with advanced tech tonight and they were baffled.

I checked a lot of things, but still no signal to the TV fed by component cables.

Anyone successfully resolve something like this?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   cclement

cclement

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

I did the exact same same thing with my 722 and now I feed 2 TVs with the Hopper. Works great! All the outputs are live, so it should work just fine.

Did you try the easy fix of resetting/rebooting the Hopper?

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,280 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

Hello, just upgraded from two VIP 722, to a Hopper and 2 joeys. One of my 722s had mirrored TV 1, using HDMI and then Component cables to TV in MBR. Worked well and resolution was fine for Bedroom.

The tech was puzzled by this, but it worked fine with the Hopper too. Until today. Spent hour on phone with advanced tech tonight and they were baffled.

I checked a lot of things, but still no signal to the TV fed by component cables.

Anyone successfully resolve something like this?

Sure. Cold reboot - remove power cord for a minute.

#4 OFFLINE   Oilspot

Oilspot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

Sure. Cold reboot - remove power cord for a minute.

Thanks for confirmation that the component output should be live in addition to the HDMI output. That helps a lot.

I tried cold reboot a few times. Maybe tonight, I'll try disconnecting power, Ethernet, and SAT connections.

I'll also double check the wiring again. Like I said before it worked during install. The other odd thing was the composite out (using only one component cable) didn't work either. So I think it is either a hopper malfunction or wiring; but wiring was working fine with 722 and after hopper install.

#5 OFFLINE   Oilspot

Oilspot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

Okay, disconnected everything and rebooted. Component out worked. Woke up this morning and component out was dead again. Tech is coming tomorrow, but not sure how ,to confirm resolution if the system kills component out each night after I go to sleep.

Any ideas?

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,280 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

switch to Hopper ?

#7 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,940 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

Add another Joey for the bedroom ?
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#8 OFFLINE   Oilspot

Oilspot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

switch to Hopper ?

I'm already using hopper, but it will not give me output on HDMI & component at the same time.

#9 OFFLINE   Oilspot

Oilspot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

If I can get the wiring to work AND the third Joey doesn't add anything to my bill. I don't need a third Joey if the hopper can provide output to both HDMI and component, since I am rarely in living room and bedroom at the same time.

#10 OFFLINE   John79605

John79605

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

See if turning on the HDMI tv restores the picture to the component tv. I have a 222 and a 211 and I've been having to turn on each HDMI tv every morning to get the component and composite outputs to work. It works until the daily reboot.

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,280 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

I'm already using hopper, but it will not give me output on HDMI & component at the same time.

are you kidding?
I'm just watching both outputs right now: HDMI to HDTV and Component from same H to a projector

#12 OFFLINE   koralis

koralis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

Maybe it has something to do with the HDMI negotiating protocols? Make sure the TV is on before turning on the hopper, etc?

#13 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

Exactly what I was thinking.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#14 OFFLINE   Oilspot

Oilspot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

Quick update. Tech and boss were stumped. They replaced hopper and everything is working again. However they said hopper is designed to drive a single TV and would not warrant the hopper if it stopped sending signal from composite, if HDMI still worked.

On off chance it is the cable, I'm going to order a new cable. I think I have a six and three foot cable connected. Since 12 ft is more popular ill try that first.

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll see what happens.

#15 OFFLINE   Oilspot

Oilspot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

Exactly what I was thinking.

If only they didn't charge $7/month per Joey, I would find a way to make it work.

#16 OFFLINE   Oilspot

Oilspot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

Oh we'll, woke up this morning and new hopper component out was not functioning. So I'll either buy a single component cable or maybe an HDMI splitter.

Anyone have experience with an HDMI splitter? It looks like a would need a powered one (yea another ghost power drain for my house), since reviews about non-powered ones have been mixed.

I guess I'm just surprised that someone at Dish doesn't officially say, the Hopper is designed for only one video signal output and WE (dish) will disable multiple outputs every evening to make sure we sell more hoppers. I've been with Dish 15 years and this is the first significant issue, where techs can't give me a straight answer.

#17 OFFLINE   charlesrshell

charlesrshell

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 105 posts
  • LocationO'Fallon, IL 62269

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:28 AM

Oh we'll, woke up this morning and new hopper component out was not functioning. So I'll either buy a single component cable or maybe an HDMI splitter.

Anyone have experience with an HDMI splitter? It looks like a would need a powered one (yea another ghost power drain for my house), since reviews about non-powered ones have been mixed.

I guess I'm just surprised that someone at Dish doesn't officially say, the Hopper is designed for only one video signal output and WE (dish) will disable multiple outputs every evening to make sure we sell more hoppers. I've been with Dish 15 years and this is the first significant issue, where techs can't give me a straight answer.

I do not use the component ports, but I do use the RCA composite (red, white, blue) ports with HDMI. HDMI goes to main TV and the RCA go a powered RCA 4 port outlet distribution panel. From the distribution panel I have RCA cables going to a VCR/DVD recorder, wireless headset, and to a powered RF modulator. Modulator output goes to the home distribution splitter. There has been no issue with HDMI and the Composite outputs working at the same time from the Hopper. If you wish I can try out my component ports for a test to see if they work. I will have some time this weekend.

Dish 1000+ / SIRIUS Radio / OTA Terrestrial Digital DB4 / 26 dB Pre-Amp / Slingbox 500 / RF Modulator x3 / OTA Module x4
119 / 110 / 129 / 118.7 / DPP44 x2 / Duo Node x2 / Hopper w/Sling x4 / Joey / Wireless Joey x2 / 500G WD My DVR Expander EHD x2
AEP HD / XTSY / Multi-Sport / Blockbuster@Home / International Basic / Italian Raitalia / Heartland / Outdoor Sports
55" Samsung HD LED / 50" Panasonic HD Plasma / 42" Vizio HD LED / 40" Samsung HD LED / 32" Vizio HD LCD / 23" Toshiba HD LCD

#18 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

. . . I've been with Dish 15 years and this is the first significant issue, where techs can't give me a straight answer.

:lol:

Oh man, stop it! You're killing me here!

:eek2:

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,280 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

My Hopper still running OK on both HDMI and Component with S2.38.

#20 OFFLINE   charlesrshell

charlesrshell

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 105 posts
  • LocationO'Fallon, IL 62269

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

I do not use the component ports, but I do use the RCA composite (red, white, blue) ports with HDMI. HDMI goes to main TV and the RCA go a powered RCA 4 port outlet distribution panel. From the distribution panel I have RCA cables going to a VCR/DVD recorder, wireless headset, and to a powered RF modulator. Modulator output goes to the home distribution splitter. There has been no issue with HDMI and the Composite outputs working at the same time from the Hopper. If you wish I can try out my component ports for a test to see if they work. I will have some time this weekend.

I just connected component cables from my Hopper w/Sling to our TV in the Kitchen. The Hopper is still connected by HDMI to main TV and the RCA ports are still connected to the RF Distribution panel. Everything is working great. Will leave them connected for a couple of days.

Dish 1000+ / SIRIUS Radio / OTA Terrestrial Digital DB4 / 26 dB Pre-Amp / Slingbox 500 / RF Modulator x3 / OTA Module x4
119 / 110 / 129 / 118.7 / DPP44 x2 / Duo Node x2 / Hopper w/Sling x4 / Joey / Wireless Joey x2 / 500G WD My DVR Expander EHD x2
AEP HD / XTSY / Multi-Sport / Blockbuster@Home / International Basic / Italian Raitalia / Heartland / Outdoor Sports
55" Samsung HD LED / 50" Panasonic HD Plasma / 42" Vizio HD LED / 40" Samsung HD LED / 32" Vizio HD LCD / 23" Toshiba HD LCD

#21 OFFLINE   fmcomputer

fmcomputer

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts
  • LocationYpungstown. Ohio

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

I use the RCA composite from a Joey to another TV.

#22 OFFLINE   Oilspot

Oilspot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

I should have new cables tomorrow. I'm hoping it might have been an issue with the cables, as I had two set coupled together. It worked four at least a year or more with the 722, but I'm willing to try anything. I'll post an update after a day or two wit new cables.

#23 OFFLINE   scaesare

scaesare

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

I just ran in to a related issue with this last night.

I have my Hopper driving my projector via HDMI. I also use the composite out to a small secondary monitor that I use for administration (setting timers, checking the guide, etc...) so I don't have to fire up the projector for just 5 minutes. I did this all the time on my 722.

Last night I was setting timers from the guide, and one refused to set. I got a message stating that my display was not HDCP (the content protection encryption HDMI uses), and thus the DVR would not record the event.

Because my projector was not on, the Hopper had not detected an HDCP display. For a unit that has multiple output options, this seems like the wrong thing to do. The system should check during PLAYBACK, instead.

I suspect the same would happen with the component outputs, which also do not support HDCP.

-sc

#24 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

I suspect the same would happen with the component outputs, which also do not support HDCP.

-sc

I am using component on my Hopper w/sling. I have never seen this message.
Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, Joey x2

#25 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,641 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

If only they didn't charge $7/month per Joey, I would find a way to make it work.

My problem is I can see the difference between a Component hookup to my HDTVs compared to a HDMI hookup,so the $7. charge to me is worth $7. extra a month.;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...