Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Two TVs from 1 Hopper

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   fmcomputer

fmcomputer

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts
  • LocationYpungstown. Ohio

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

I use the RCA composite from a Joey to another TV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Oilspot

Oilspot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

I should have new cables tomorrow. I'm hoping it might have been an issue with the cables, as I had two set coupled together. It worked four at least a year or more with the 722, but I'm willing to try anything. I'll post an update after a day or two wit new cables.

#23 OFFLINE   scaesare

scaesare

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

I just ran in to a related issue with this last night.

I have my Hopper driving my projector via HDMI. I also use the composite out to a small secondary monitor that I use for administration (setting timers, checking the guide, etc...) so I don't have to fire up the projector for just 5 minutes. I did this all the time on my 722.

Last night I was setting timers from the guide, and one refused to set. I got a message stating that my display was not HDCP (the content protection encryption HDMI uses), and thus the DVR would not record the event.

Because my projector was not on, the Hopper had not detected an HDCP display. For a unit that has multiple output options, this seems like the wrong thing to do. The system should check during PLAYBACK, instead.

I suspect the same would happen with the component outputs, which also do not support HDCP.

-sc

#24 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

I suspect the same would happen with the component outputs, which also do not support HDCP.

-sc

I am using component on my Hopper w/sling. I have never seen this message.
Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, Joey x2

#25 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

If only they didn't charge $7/month per Joey, I would find a way to make it work.

My problem is I can see the difference between a Component hookup to my HDTVs compared to a HDMI hookup,so the $7. charge to me is worth $7. extra a month.;)

#26 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,330 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

My problem is I can see the difference between a Component hookup to my HDTVs compared to a HDMI hookup,so the $7. charge to me is worth $7. extra a month.;)

Most likely, it's your TV to blame.

#27 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

Most likely, it's your TV to blame.

Yeah, no reason the HMDI output should look any better than the the component. I've used both outputs from two 622s for years and now I'm using both on 2 Hoppers. Both of them send the HDMI to a distant TV via HDMI or Cat5 adapters and the only problem I've ever had is not being able to watch an HDCP flagged program on the component connection without having the HDMI connected TV on.

One of the techs that came out to install the Hoppers did tell me that using both outputs degraded the signal because it split it. I ignored this because he clearly doesn't understand that it's completely separate hardware driving those two outputs.

To the O.P.: have you made sure you disabled all HDMI control options on the TV the Hopper is connected to and have you tried what others have suggested such as turning on the HDMI TV first to see if it has any impact on the Component outputs? I have to think it's something related to the HDMI handshake or control signals causing this.

#28 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,330 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

If will buy cheap HDCP compatible two way HDMI splitter (eBay has many of them), you'll have second TV HDMI connection and the H or 622 will be happy regardless is one or two on none TV turned ON. I did.

#29 OFFLINE   Oilspot

Oilspot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

My secondary TV is small, so I don't think I would notice. But I could be possible on a very large format, since component is limited to 1080i and HDMI can go to 1080p. But there are still only a few 1080p programs...

#30 OFFLINE   Oilspot

Oilspot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

If will buy cheap HDCP compatible two way HDMI splitter (eBay has many of them), you'll have second TV HDMI connection and the H or 622 will be happy regardless is one or two on none TV turned ON. I did.

This may be the next thing I try if the new component cables don't work. Thanks for the suggestion. Earlier reports on HDMI splitters we mixed.

#31 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,330 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

My secondary TV is small, so I don't think I would notice. But I could be possible on a very large format, since component is limited to 1080i and HDMI can go to 1080p. But there are still only a few 1080p programs...

that would depend on chips in DVR and in TV ... to make such conclusion you must know both system very deep; adding: 1080p24 is providing by VOD, not by regular channels

#32 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:26 AM

that would depend on chips in DVR and in TV ... to make such conclusion you must know both system very deep; adding: 1080p24 is providing by VOD, not by regular channels

My Vizio and my Westinghouse both accept and display 1080p over component, though it's undocumented. I can set the Xbox 360 to 1080p over component though, and get it.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#33 OFFLINE   scaesare

scaesare

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:28 AM

I am using component on my Hopper w/sling. I have never seen this message.

I only saw it for one movie I attempted to record. I assumed it was because the flag requiring encryption was set for that event.

I know that playback devices such as BluRay can refuse to play back (at least at full res) to displays that don't support HDCP... so I assume that the DVR's can as well...

-sc

#34 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

I only saw it for one movie I attempted to record. I assumed it was because the flag requiring encryption was set for that event.

I know that playback devices such as BluRay can refuse to play back (at least at full res) to displays that don't support HDCP... so I assume that the DVR's can as well...

-sc

I have several movies that I recorded off of either Showtime or HBO during free previews that will only play when I have the HMDI connected TV on. If not it gives me the error message that my display isn't HDCP compatible, etc.

#35 OFFLINE   Oilspot

Oilspot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:23 AM

Okay, today was first morning with successful use of component cables, after an overnight. Could it be success? Maybe it was the other component cables? I'll post another update after a few more days...

I really appreciate all the support from fellow members. Thank you.

I'm no expert for sure! The reason I posted about the 1080i on component is because that is what my TV said the source was, and a few cable articles said something similar. The HDMI TV says 1080p, so henceforth assumed article was reliable. Either way I'm happy with result. Just hope I don't get the error everyone is starting to discuss...

#36 OFFLINE   scaesare

scaesare

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

I have several movies that I recorded off of either Showtime or HBO during free previews that will only play when I have the HMDI connected TV on. If not it gives me the error message that my display isn't HDCP compatible, etc.

Ah, ok... so it sounds like programming with the HDCP flag set isn't uncommon.

I'd recommend that Dish implement a change so that the behavior is confined to what you experience: restrict content on PLAYBACK only. Restricting recording doesn't provide any additional protection value, and only makes life difficult for people who might use different displays at different times.

Thanks.

-sc

#37 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

Okay, today was first morning with successful use of component cables, after an overnight. Could it be success? Maybe it was the other component cables? I'll post another update after a few more days...

I really appreciate all the support from fellow members. Thank you.

I'm no expert for sure! The reason I posted about the 1080i on component is because that is what my TV said the source was, and a few cable articles said something similar. The HDMI TV says 1080p, so henceforth assumed article was reliable. Either way I'm happy with result. Just hope I don't get the error everyone is starting to discuss...

That's because broadcast TV is only 1080i at its highest.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#38 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,330 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

This may be the next thing I try if the new component cables don't work. Thanks for the suggestion. Earlier reports on HDMI splitters we mixed.

I'm using this one; working fine for H2k and pretty cheap ;)

#39 OFFLINE   Oilspot

Oilspot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

That's because broadcast TV is only 1080i at its highest.

Yeah, I mentioned that earlier and got nailed for it. What I was trying to say in my last post was the vizio TVs I have will identify the component input as 1080i on start up, and the HDMI from the same program as 1080p. I understand the component is an analog signal and the HDMI I'd digital, and both cables just transmit signals from one place to another...

#40 OFFLINE   lonerwulf

lonerwulf

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

Is 7 dollars more for a Joey gonna real kill you??

spam firewall