Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Error with 922 & Sling? dirt?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Clarkjwc

Clarkjwc

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

My 722k disk failed after 2 years. I had good remote service with Sling HD Pro.
I assumed that the built-in Sling and the 922 would be a good upgrade. I could not find a good manual online, so I made the jump with little information.

I am very disappointed that the built-in Sling is only on SD TV2, and no good manual to program otherwise.

I got an email from Dish offering to swap my Sling HD for a Sling adapter.

Why is Dish making this offer?

Questions: Sling adapter use USB connector. If added to a 922 with built-in sling, will the additional sling be assigned to TV1 where I can view HD?

Why would Dish offer a non-HD Sling arrangement?

With my external Sling HD Pro I can use my IR Windows Media Center Remote, but I don't even see a virtual remote in DishAnywhere?

Am I missing something?

Where is the Good VIP 922 manual?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,459 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about.

The built-in Sling on a 922 is HD if you are watching an HD channel.

It uses the 2nd tuner of the 922... it has nothing to do with the TV2 output on the 922.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,738 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

at dish site ...

#4 OFFLINE   Clarkjwc

Clarkjwc

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

The only manual at the Dish web site is a short 'Getting started' nothing else, nothing with any Sling info ---that I could find.

#5 OFFLINE   Clarkjwc

Clarkjwc

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

Installer said that built-in Sling was only connected to TV2 and SD. I have only been able to see 1745 KBPS. When I select HD I get shudder. My source line is 7 Meg up and destination is 5 Meg down. External Sling HD Pro runs at 3700 Kbps. I will post the Question. I do not find anyway to select the HD channel when using the 'Hop to channel' when using the Dishanywhere program.

#6 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

My 722k disk failed after 2 years. I had good remote service with Sling HD Pro.
I assumed that the built-in Sling and the 922 would be a good upgrade. I could not find a good manual online, so I made the jump with little information.
There is no reason you cannot use your Sling HD Pro if you like it better.
I am very disappointed that the built-in Sling is only on SD TV2, and no good manual to program otherwise.
If you choose the HD channel from the Dish anywhere guide you get HD although availible band width may reduce it some.
I got an email from Dish offering to swap my Sling HD for a Sling adapter.
The sling adapter is for the 722(k) only.
Why is Dish making this offer?
Dish is making the offer because they decided to remove the ability yo use dish online to control an external slingbox.
Questions: Sling adapter use USB connector. If added to a 922 with built-in sling, will the additional sling be assigned to TV1 where I can view HD?

Why would Dish offer a non-HD Sling arrangement?

With my external Sling HD Pro I can use my IR Windows Media Center Remote, but I don't even see a virtual remote in DishAnywhere?

Am I missing something?

There is no actual manual for the 922, what little info there is, is in the help section on the 922 itself.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,459 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

Installer said that built-in Sling was only connected to TV2 and SD. I have only been able to see 1745 KBPS. When I select HD I get shudder. My source line is 7 Meg up and destination is 5 Meg down. External Sling HD Pro runs at 3700 Kbps. I will post the Question. I do not find anyway to select the HD channel when using the 'Hop to channel' when using the Dishanywhere program.

The installer was simply wrong.

You are limited by two things... upload speed on your connection at home, and download speed wherever you are viewing the Sling. There could also be firewall issues, especially at work.

You have to tune to an HD channel to get HD... and on a small screen you have to be careful you don't accidentally tune to an SD channel by accident.

All I can say is I Sling HD from my 922 all the time... or at least all the time when I actually use Sling. I'm typically using my iPad rather than a computer, but that makes no real difference.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#8 OFFLINE   Clarkjwc

Clarkjwc

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

That is good to know. I had been using the 'Jump to channel'.

Upload speed is 26Meg, Download max is 4.6 Meg. I'm hard pressed to see better than 2.6 Meg in SlingPlayer. I'm trying to find an end-to-end speed test that I can get to work into the two private (NAT) LANS at the source and destination.
Local Lan access shows Sling at 6 Meg.

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,738 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

That is good to know. I had been using the 'Jump to channel'.

Upload speed is 26Meg, Download max is 4.6 Meg. I'm hard pressed to see better than 2.6 Meg in SlingPlayer. I'm trying to find an end-to-end speed test that I can get to work into the two private (NAT) LANS at the source and destination.
Local Lan access shows Sling at 6 Meg.

Usual it goes opposite way UL speed is less then DL; also if you would use same [correct] units as Mbps or MB/s that would eliminate errors in posting and understanding.

spam firewall