Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sony ARC HDMI and Hopper

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BillM

BillM

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

Hi, just had my 722K replaced with the Hopper with Sling. The HDMI output goes into the SAT/CATV input on my Sony STR-DH-720 receiver, and the TV/ARC HDMI output goes to my Sony TV as before. When I turn on the TV, the receiver comes on as well just as always, but when I turn the TV off, the receiver stays on. Hard to understand why the Hopper would be different in this regard; this should strictly be a conversation between TV and receiver. Anyone else see anything like this?

Thanks,

Bill

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,891 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

what remote is it ? Sony or dish ?

#3 OFFLINE   BillM

BillM

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

I'm using the Dish remote, but it works equally poorly with the remotes for the TV or receiver. I believe this is related to another post on Dish's forums that found the Hopper interferes with Sony Bravia Sync; https://support.dish...php?f=18&t=4629

When the Hopper is disconnected from the other Sony HDMI components, they interact normally. When it is plugged in, they can no longer reliably send Sony specific information between them. I'm going to experiment with disabling the Sony control capability to see if it still interferes, but for now it's random as to whether all of the components will correctly power up or down, and whether they will deliver the audio and video output from the Hopper. I'm willing to convert to component/optical connections, but I'd really like to see Dish address this as a bug.

Bill

#4 OFFLINE   BillM

BillM

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

I've been made aware of a hardware workaround for this problem; blocking pin 13 on the HDMI connector into the Hopper disables its ability to interfere with the Sony specific CEC exchange over the HDMI connector. I'm doing that now, and it completely solves the problem.

Bill

#5 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,891 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

can you post a clear picture of the mod ?

#6 OFFLINE   emcnicol

emcnicol

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:55 AM

I found a really clever fix for this issue when I did a search for 'CEC disabled hdmi cable". Take a male HDMI to male DVI adapter and pair it with a female DVI to female HDMI adapter. Connect the DVI jacks together. There is a corresponding DVI pin for every HDMI pin except for HDMI pins 13(CEC) and 14(not used). Use this with your existing HDMI cable to create a HDMI cable with no CEC. I've tested this with my own system and it works beautifully.

#7 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,891 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

That's really clever solution, especially if you (myself) keep in a box a few such HDMI-DVI dongles.

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,617 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

I thought DVI did not pass audio. Am I mistaken? I am pretty sure I used a DVI cable a while back as a workaround for a failing HDTV until I could replace it (had to use a computer monitor temporarily) and I had to run a separate audio cable to get sound.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#9 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,891 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

Yes.
But his finding do show additional loss of signals for DVI connector.

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,617 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

Agreed. I was just thinking that IF I was right, it might fix one problem (CEC) but bring a new one (have to run another cable for audio) that might be a problem for some.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#11 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:59 AM

I thought DVI did not pass audio. Am I mistaken? I am pretty sure I used a DVI cable a while back as a workaround for a failing HDTV until I could replace it (had to use a computer monitor temporarily) and I had to run a separate audio cable to get sound.

DVI doesn't but HDMI does...and they're pin-identical. I actually use a Display Port to DVI adapter into a DVI to HDMI cable for my laptop. Audio and video out.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#12 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,891 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

DVI doesn't but HDMI does...and they're pin-identical. I actually use a Display Port to DVI adapter into a DVI to HDMI cable for my laptop. Audio and video out.

Perhaps signals of HDMI carry by DVI, but identical.
Comparing pins will show you the pins are does not identical:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI
http://en.wikipedia....isual_Interface

#13 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

Sorry. I should say pin-compatible. Not pin-identical.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#14 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,891 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

Well, perhaps "signal-compatible" for final consensus ?

Edited by P Smith, 14 April 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   bobshults

bobshults

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

I found a really clever fix for this issue when I did a search for 'CEC disabled hdmi cable". Take a male HDMI to male DVI adapter and pair it with a female DVI to female HDMI adapter. Connect the DVI jacks together. There is a corresponding DVI pin for every HDMI pin except for HDMI pins 13(CEC) and 14(not used). Use this with your existing HDMI cable to create a HDMI cable with no CEC. I've tested this with my own system and it works beautifully.

I just implemented this fix and it works flawlessly. Thanks so much for the tip. Cost me $7.00 including shipping for the adapters from monoprice.com.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...