Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

0x66C Not In Update Stream Anymore

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hotelone

Hotelone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 56 posts
  • LocationCentral Sierra Mountains

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

This morning Firmware Watcher showed that the apparently problematic update, 0x66C, was not in the update stream for my HR24/100 anymore and an older(?) firmware, 0X62C was now current. 0x062C seems to be now current for all HR's. I forced an update and received 0X62C and my menu delays have apparently gone away. YMMV!

Edit: Lost all my Season Links with the "downdate", but all other settings, Favorites and recordings are there!

Edited by Hotelone, 05 March 2013 - 03:13 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,843 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

I guess that sometimes it is good to be at the back of the line. My 3 receivers never got the update. Their last update was in December 2012.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   Hotelone

Hotelone

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

Hi Jimmy - is my recollection correct that 0X62C was the previous release?

#4 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

Hi Jimmy - is my recollection correct that 0X62C was the previous release?

It was...released on 11/28/2012. All my receivers got it just before Christmas

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

This morning Firmware Watcher showed that the apparently problematic update, 0x66C, was not in the update stream for my HR24/100 anymore and an older(?) firmware, 0X62C was now current. 0x062C seems to be now current for all HR's. I forced an update and received 0X62C and my menu delays have apparently gone away. YMMV!

Edit: Lost all my Season Links with the "downdate", but all other settings, Favorites and recordings are there!

WATCHING THE SITE YOU SHOULD KNOW: WITHOUT "ANNOUNCEMENTS" packets the spools are not for anyone's IRD

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

066C was last in the stream: 03:57:59 03/05/2013
This is a pushed update, so it gets slowly pushed overnight, and then pulled from the stream off of tp 21

062C is on tp 30 for everyone to pull.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   Hotelone

Hotelone

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

066C was last in the stream: 03:57:59 03/05/2013
This is a pushed update, so it gets slowly pushed overnight, and then pulled from the stream off of tp 21

062C is on tp 30 for everyone to pull.

So I'lll probably get 0x66C again tonight or soon? :mad:

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

So I'lll probably get 0x66C again tonight or soon? :mad:

It might take a bit longer, but I'd guess there's no way to not end up with it, unless DirecTV changes to a different release because they get too many calls about this one. [and why the stagger this type of release]
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,267 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

I would suggest that folks not force download the firmware to their receivers without fully understanding what they are doing. You may end up downloading an older version and losing all of your programming, series links or just plain bricking your receiver. When DIRECTV wants your receiver to have a particular version they will send it to you and it will be automatic.

There are a lot of people that know how to do it and will tell others how to do it but always fail to mention the risks.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

I would suggest that folks not force download the firmware to their receivers without fully understanding what they are doing. You may end up downloading an older version and losing all of your programming, series links or just plain bricking your receiver.

So, you know someone who did this and had this happen?
OH WAIT, that was me. :eek2:
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,267 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

So, you know someone who did this and had this happen?
OH WAIT, that was me. :eek2:

Yeah, I know a guy. ;) Or the countless others that I had to help that didn't know the risks.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#12 OFFLINE   Hotelone

Hotelone

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

I would suggest that folks not force download the firmware to their receivers without fully understanding what they are doing. You may end up downloading an older version and losing all of your programming, series links or just plain bricking your receiver. When DIRECTV wants your receiver to have a particular version they will send it to you and it will be automatic.

There are a lot of people that know how to do it and will tell others how to do it but always fail to mention the risks.

I'm almost willing to take this risk again (0x66C was back as of this AM) since the HR24 is unusable about 50% of the time with this firmware version. I've been with D* since the beginning and this is the first time an update has caused such a mess.:mad:

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

I'm almost willing to take this risk again

"And again, and again, and...."
You can't escape this.
I don't know what the problem is, but you might as well start to look at ways to resolve it as you can't keep the receiver on old software that long.
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   Hotelone

Hotelone

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

As a further note 0x66C seems to somehow make the box have more trouble finding and utilizing the external drive. Many restarts are needed until it finds the drive. :confused:

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

As a further note 0x66C seems to somehow make the box have more trouble finding and utilizing the external drive. Many restarts are needed until it finds the drive. :confused:

Could there be a problem with the external drive that is causing all of this?

What happens if you run it on the internal drive for a while with the new update?
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,911 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

I'm almost willing to take this risk again (0x66C was back as of this AM) since the HR24 is unusable about 50% of the time with this firmware version. I've been with D* since the beginning and this is the first time an update has caused such a mess.:mad:

You're really better off taking Scott's advice.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#17 OFFLINE   Hotelone

Hotelone

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

Could there be a problem with the external drive that is causing all of this?

What happens if you run it on the internal drive for a while with the new update?

The same symptoms (inconsistant, very slow menu response to remote commands) occurred when booted from the internal drive. The external passed all the internal HD diagnostics. There have been enough reports of this happening to others immediately after this update, and reports that D* says that this is a "known issue" that makes me point my finger at them and this update, not a failing HD. I'm curious since many have had no problems with 0x66C whether it might be box specific, but some HR34 owners have reported similar symptoms with the newest update that my HR34 has yet to receive. Only my HR24/100 is showing this problem. Needless to say i'm stumped, along with a lot of others, waiting for relief from D* unless anyone has any ideas.

#18 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,911 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

The same symptoms (inconsistant, very slow menu response to remote commands) occurred when booted from the internal drive. The external passed all the internal HD diagnostics. There have been enough reports of this happening to others immediately after this update, and reports that D* says that this is a "known issue" that makes me point my finger at them and this update, not a failing HD. I'm curious since many have had no problems with 0x66C whether it might be box specific, but some HR34 owners have reported similar symptoms with the newest update that my HR34 has yet to receive. Only my HR24/100 is showing this problem. Needless to say i'm stumped, along with a lot of others, waiting for relief from D* unless anyone has any ideas.

Through your own admission you stated you forced a update. There are risks with forcing a update and you may have very well made a bad situation worse. How is that DirecTV's fault?

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#19 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

Losing recordings and series links are a sign of a significant change [IMO] with this update.
How long have you let this DVR run with the new update?
The slowdown might be because the receiver is busy sorting out things like the guide data and your to do list.

"You might" try staying on the internal [just to ruler out the eSATA], do a double reboot within 30 mins [this flushes all the guide data] and then give it 24 hours. By this time it should either be better or not, and if better, you can move back to the eSATA.
A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

Through your own admission you stated you forced a update. There are risks with forcing a update and you may have very well made a bad situation worse. How is that DirecTV's fault?

Maybe lighten up on the poster, as they're having problems and trying to sort it out, just like the rest of us.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...