Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

UPDATE 1-Fox takes aim at ESPN with national sports TV channel

• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 865 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

If D* balks at carrying this channel along with not carrying the PAC-12 Net, then it will be the absolute end of it being able to claim its the leader in sports programming and the end of me being a sub since 1996.

Seriously.  DirecTV is going to become a joke if they play hardball and refuse to get this channel.  College sports fans (especially those of us out west) just get the shaft when it comes to DirecTV if this comes to pass.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

One unanswered question is what will happen if a distributor fails to reach an agreement for FS1. Time Warner Cable, DirecTV and Dish Network have contracts that call for carriage of a Fox-produced motorsports channel. If Fox simply goes dark, it could be in violation of those deals, sources said.

They could give the speed channel canada feed (fox does not have the rights to show whats planed to be on FS1 in canada)

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#28 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,095 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

Well, I almost wonder if Directv won't try and leverage this to move some channels around package wise for fox, including moving maybe even fx to a slightly higher tier, as well as fxx.  Heck, maybe even put fs1 in the same tier as NBCSports instead of having it in the same tier as espn.  There are a lot of things to consider in how and what they may be negotiating right now.  I am sure FS1 wants the same packaging as espn, so one of the questions is if they will allow other channels to end up in other tiers to get it, possibly.

And just how robust will their tv everywhere offerings be?  Will they also include all Fox stations with it, and not just the new fs1?  I would not be surprised if Directv isn't going for all that, even though they just re upped their deals with fox a year or two ago in the first place. It will be a while before FS1 will cause any customer drops for any provider I think, so I believe they have time to negotiate without worry for the rest of this year for this channel.

#29 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 526 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:57 AM

I defiantely didn't see this coming.  FS1 will have enough content to challenge ESPN.  In addition to a large stable of college football and basketball telecasts, starting next year, most of the Fox Saturday MLB telecasts will move to FS1.

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

#30 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 786 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

Major Rate Increase Sought For FOX Sports 1

Sports Business Daily reported yesterday that FOX Networks will ask cable and satellite providers to pay 80 cents per month per subscriber for the newly rebranded Fox Sports 1, with carriage fees climbing to $1.50 monthly over the life of multi-year contracts. 

Affiliates currently pay approximately 23 cents per month for SPEED. FOX has already inked a new deal with Comcast Cable, but major carriers Time Warner Cable, DirecTV and Dish Network have reportedly balked at the price increase.
Fox Sports 1 – formerly known as SPEED – will televise college football and basketball, NASCAR racing, UFC mixed martial arts events and sports news programs.

HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#31 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

Major Rate Increase Sought For FOX Sports 1

Already posted see #24.

#32 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,095 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

You know, this all works out to espn raising its rates another buck plus.  Everyone would be more up in arms if that was the case, but since its a new channel people are thinking great, more competition.  Well, if it doesn't cause espn rates to go down, its really not competition that helps, and this channel will not cause any programmer to lower their rates.  And, it means more competition to bid higher for other sports broadcast rights, pushing our rates up even higher.  This may turn out to be a bad thing more than a good one unfortunately.

#33 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,183 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:31 PM

As hardcore NASCAR fan, not having FS1 for any length of time would be very disappointing. No, I won't switch but I will call and threaten  to cancel and feign reluctance to accept a bunch of discounts.

Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
C41-400
XBoxOne
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200

#34 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,095 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

As I just posted in another thread, maybe moving the new FXX to the hd extra pack and tossing its sd version out the window would compensate for the increased pricing of FS1 and equal it all out.  Would be interesting to see if they;d bite on that.

#35 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

That seems unlikely. Fox isn't going to want FXX to be an HD only channel.

#36 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:18 PM

As I just posted in another thread, maybe moving the new FXX to the hd extra pack and tossing its sd version out the window would compensate for the increased pricing of FS1 and equal it all out.  Would be interesting to see if they;d bite on that.

maybe move FXM to HD only but not FXX / FX2

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#37 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

ESPN getting $5+ per month per sub is shear madness. Bad for the consumer, bad for the sat/cable provider, but good for ABC/Disney.

Especially since they repeat the same shows over and over again. I am a late night viewer and I noticed that they repeat the same Sports Center edition all late night and early morning. And I'm paying $5 per month for that?

#38 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,833 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:48 PM

Very little of that $5 per month is going to SportsCenter, the bulk of it is to cover their bids for rights to NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA and other major sporting events. Unfortunately the side effect to increased competition from NBC Sports Network, CBS Sports Network and now Fox Sports 1 means more bidding wars for rights.

Unless there's a tied game on the west coast going past 1am, there's not much new to report after the last live edition of SportsCenter from Los Angeles, so outside of the occasional encore presentation of a game from earlier in the night they don't have anything else to air during those hours. Late night here is morning in Europe, so there's no live European soccer to air, and the rights to sporting events that are live during those hours like Rugby, Aussie Rules football and Formula One are held by other broadcasters.

#39 OFFLINE   RandyOH

RandyOH

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

there would be no point in producing new live sportscenters at 3 and 4 am est.

#40 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

Is this new Fox Sports channel going to have the UEFA Champions League this coming season?  If not, who does?

#41 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

Is this new Fox Sports channel going to have the UEFA Champions League this coming season? If not, who does?

Yes, as will Fox Soccer Plus.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ost__p__3151555

#42 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:04 PM

There was a camera crew at the Bowie Baysox game tonight from Fox Sports 1. They were doing internal video interviews for the "voice of the customer" on what we want to see on the channel and on various media. I was selected to do an interview. Interesting.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#43 OFFLINE   Jcowan1972

Jcowan1972

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:54 PM

Anyone else hear this or just clueless customer service.

#44 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

Why are you bugging CSRs about this? Just wait and see what happens on Aug 17.

#45 OFFLINE   thelucky1

thelucky1

Icon

• Registered
  • 943 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

Latest tweet from "@DirectvService We do not have any new information regarding Fox Sports 1"
A DIRECTV Customer since 1998 :)

#46 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

Not if your a huge sports guy. I love college football and ESPN is where it's at. Bowl games and now the college football playoff. For me $5 a month is nothing. Now I do understand people like yourself not wanting to pay it. I don't think you should have to. Then again I shouldn't have to pay for all the Viacom channels like MTV and so on. The truth is we all subsidize each others channels and it sucks.

I hope Fox gets better with their college football coverage and play by play guys. When they had the BCS it was terrible. You could tell they were all NFL guys that had no idea about college. Plus Fox will never ever dethrone Gameday.

ESPN would be priced at 25 to 30 dollars a month a-la-carte.  So, in effect, the non-sports Pay Tv subscriber is transferring 20 to 25 dollars a month to every ESPN fan.

And with Fox Sports, it's going to get worse.

Against the backdrop of stagnant/declining median wages.

That's why Channel Master and Echostar recently announced a new OTA DVR.

And also why Simple.tv, after a successful kickstarter campaign, was able to secure 5.7M in VC funding for its OTA DVR.

• nola56 likes this
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#47 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,095 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

And don't get forget one other thing that I read and agreed with in the Los Angeles times recently. For the price of espn you probably probably get about 20 other channels. Sports channels are by far more expensive in packages than anything else in general. Peope don't pay much at all for the Viacom packages in compariosn to the espn packages.

#48 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

ESPN would be priced at 25 to 30 dollars a month a-la-carte. So, in effect, the non-sports Pay Tv subscriber is transferring 20 to 25 dollars a month to every ESPN fan.

And with Fox Sports, it's going to get worse.

Against the backdrop of stagnant/declining median wages.

That's why Channel Master and Echostar recently announced a new OTA DVR.

And also why Simple.tv, after a successful kickstarter campaign, was able to secure 5.7M in VC funding for its OTA DVR.

Just send me your $25.

That's not how it works.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#49 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,095 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

Just send me your $25.

That's not how it works.

Uh, that's not how what works?

#50 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

Uh, that's not how what works?

Gloria posted like every non-sports fan is paying $25 for every sports fan. That's not how the math works.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...