Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

John Oliver to host Daily Show for 8 weeks

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,944 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

http://insidetv.ew.c...iver-rosewater/

I usually skip most of the coorespondants, but he's one of the better ones. At least it isn't Samantha Bee.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

Or Jason Jones...

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,944 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

They do go well together, don't they?

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

Yea. Just hope they dont have any children.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,944 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

Three so far I believe.

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,418 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:27 AM

I personally think this is a good move for Stewart. I just don't think he's a Letterman who wants to spend his entire life on one thing. Craig Kilborn's path just doesn't feel right for Stewart. Producing and directing seems a good fit for Stewart's age 40+ years.

In any event, Oliver will be an interesting change.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#7 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,203 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:32 AM

I think Oliver is the perfect choice for what options are out there. I've seen some of his stand-up and he can hold his own.

#8 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:23 AM

I think Oliver is the perfect choice for what options are out there. I've seen some of his stand-up and he can hold his own.

So does Colbert get an 8 week vacation? He always seem to take the same weeks off as Stewart.

#9 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,203 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

No - just the 4 weeks. Since The Daily Show *will* be new episodes, COlbert should also have new episodes. The only exception I've seen to that 'rule' was when Stephen Colbert seemed to take a sudden day off, rumored to be him visiting his mother who'd apparently gotten suddenly ill.

#10 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,464 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

If Stephen Colbert were to take some time off, I think the best fill-in host for him (assuming we're only looking at members of the "Daily Show"/"Colbert Report" family) would be John Hodgman, in character as The Deranged Millionaire.

But I don't think Stephen Colbert would have a fill-in host, aside from a major ongoing emergency, given how closely his show is tied to him -- his name is even in the "main" title of the show, unlike Jon Stewart (by which I mean it's "The Colbert Report," not "The Daily Report with Stephen Colbert").
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#11 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

No - just the 4 weeks. Since The Daily Show *will* be new episodes, COlbert should also have new episodes. The only exception I've seen to that 'rule' was when Stephen Colbert seemed to take a sudden day off, rumored to be him visiting his mother who'd apparently gotten suddenly ill.

Yes, his mother was very ill. There were confirmations afterward.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#12 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

...I don't think Stephen Colbert would have a fill-in host, aside from a major ongoing emergency, given how closely his show is tied to him -- his name is even in the "main" title of the show, unlike Jon Stewart (by which I mean it's "The Colbert Report," not "The Daily Report with Stephen Colbert").

As similar as they are, they are very different shows. Stewart hosts within his natural persona while Colbert hosts in character.

And that is the difference between them that determines that I can make time to watch one, but not the other. Both are as biting and funny as any humor-based news/political show out there, and both have amazing writing staffs that put Letterman and Leno to shame.

And both hosts are exceptionally talented and funny; I am a big fan of both. But Colbert in character? A little of that goes a very long way, and it has the problem of handcuffing him into a narrow milieu. It's funny, and no one could ever pull it off like Colbert does, but it is just not funny enough to sustain a full half hour 160 shows a year. So one show is way above the Mendoza line for me, and the other is slightly below it.

But with Stewart off for 8 weeks (and good for him; it can only invigorate him) it will give me time to go watch something completely different; even with that terrific writing staff Stewart is the show, for me. Kilborn was obviously replaceable; in fact I never could get through five minutes of the show before Stewart and now I can't afford to miss five minutes, and haven't since he took over. Bottom line? I don't think anyone can replace Jon Stewart on that show. If I were Viacom I just would have expanded Colbert to an hour for 8 weeks.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#13 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,203 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:16 AM

With the faux-rivalry going on between Stewart and Colbert, I have a vision of the first stewart-less show having Colbert at the desk. Just as he starts the broadcast, there's a commotion offstage and a bound and gagged John Oliver comes hopping/stumbling onto the set - eventually some roadie/cameraman getting the gag off him while untying him and going into a skit of trying to keep Colbert from 'invading' or 'taking over' The Daily Show.

#14 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

With the faux-rivalry going on between Stewart and Colbert, I have a vision of the first stewart-less show having Colbert at the desk. Just as he starts the broadcast, there's a commotion offstage and a bound and gagged John Oliver comes hopping/stumbling onto the set - eventually some roadie/cameraman getting the gag off him while untying him and going into a skit of trying to keep Colbert from 'invading' or 'taking over' The Daily Show.

PERFECT! :P :lol:
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...