Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I love Directv, but the Sonic Tap really sucks.

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,410 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

My only beef with 8-Tracks is that I wish it were more realistic. Add a big "ka-thunk" between every 3 or 4 songs.

:)

Forgotten all about that noise...

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

I dislike SonicTap music channels for one reason...edited versions of songs. Which makes them unlistenable in my opinion.

Because of this, Slacker Radio (Xbox app) and Pandora (Blu-ray, DVR apps) is what we use in our household.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV  DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 7am-12:30am ET)  DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25.99 ($30.99 with HBO) | 3=$36.99 ($41.99 with HBO) | 4=$45.99 ($50.99 with HBO) | All 5=$57.99 per month

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#28 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,238 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

My only beef with 8-Tracks is that I wish it were more realistic. Add a big "ka-thunk" between every 3 or 4 songs.

How about the fading out mid-song before the track change and then fading back in afterwards?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#29 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,118 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

How about the fading out mid-song before the track change and then fading back in afterwards?

Yeah, that was a terrible feature with 8-Tracks.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#30 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

It's annoying how they sprinkle channels over the various packages.

I find that out of any Sonic Tap channels, by far the one I use most is Piano, which is only available in Premier. Premier only adds about four or five channels vs. Ultimate, too.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#31 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,118 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

It's annoying how they sprinkle channels over the various packages.

I find that out of any Sonic Tap channels, by far the one I use most is Piano, which is only available in Premier. Premier only adds about four or five channels vs. Ultimate, too.

Sometimes that's all it takes to motivate a customer to switch to a higher tier in order to get a channel they want.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#32 OFFLINE   whitewolf8214

whitewolf8214

AllStar

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

They need to change their music channels Sonic stinks and then haven't listened since and never plan on it again and hopefully Directv changes it soon one day but I don't count on it ;) :)

#33 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

I like Sirrus/XM better than D* Sonic. DISH has Sirrus/XM which is why D* doesn't. I listen to D* Pandora where I can select what I want to hear. Try it, you may like it.

PrimeStar/DIRECTV subscriber since 10/30/1994.
Roswell, GA (Atlanta Area)
2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
MRV - D* SWiM LNB, PI-21 module, and Wireless DECA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W)
Linksys WRT310N

#34 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 387 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

What's an 8-track? :lol:

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#35 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

Ever since D* added Pandora, I listen to that a lot more than Sonic Tap. Both due to the ability to +/- a song and because I often have both tuners recording something to watch later.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#36 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

Spotify

#37 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,123 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

I'd love to see a Vevo app like they have on Roku and Xbox. VEVO launched their new 24/7 HD IPTV channel that is now available through the app. I was watching it through Xbox and the quality is great. Plus they have a huge library of music videos.

These days with MTV, VH1, CMT, etc no longer showing music videos... It would be a great addition to DirecTV to add the VEVO app.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#38 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,265 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

I have far better options for listening to music than using DirecTV. I guess the music channels are nice to have for some, but I have not used them in the past 10 years.

#39 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,486 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

The horrible quality of Sonic Tab is not news to anybody here. It was a cost-cutting move by D*.

I haven't listened to it in at least a year.

+1000. :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#40 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

I worked at DirecTV when they had SiriusXM and changed over to SonicTap. The vast majority of customers do not listen to satellite radio on their receivers so it did not make sense for DirecTV to renew the expensive SiriusXM contract so they went to the cheaper SonicTap of which they owe and is only available on DirecTV.

Edited by Volatility, 24 March 2013 - 02:16 AM.

#41 OFFLINE   dmgreene3263

dmgreene3263

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

I do not think Sonic Tap even comes close to SiriusXM....it is fantastic to hear the same station at home, in the car and in the office....Sonictap is for retail stores that want background music. I get excited every time someone updates the "xm coming back to dtv" forum but to no avail

#42 OFFLINE   postalguy1

postalguy1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:32 PM

Well, 8-tracks COULD be a good channel if they would just stop including all the cr*ppy filler songs. Some of them are so annoyingly bad that I had to stop what I was doing and find my remote to mute it, and I was on a 15 foot ladder installing a ceiling fan on my vaulted ceiling at the time.

I grew up on the songs of the 60s and 70s and you could tune to any rock station and never hear any of the filler trash. Every rock station we listened to while driving on vacation anywhere in the country played nothing but good music. So why is it so hard for this channel to leave out the cr*p and just play the good songs? Whoever is in charge of programming obviously never listens to it. There's probably some computer program that is set to 'random' and plays any song from any album. After selling the whole Sonic Tap package to Directv there's no need for them to actually provide a good playlist as there is no competition.

#43 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:28 AM

I'd love to see a Vevo app like they have on Roku and Xbox. VEVO launched their new 24/7 HD IPTV channel that is now available through the app. I was watching it through Xbox and the quality is great. Plus they have a huge library of music videos.

These days with MTV, VH1, CMT, etc no longer showing music videos... It would be a great addition to DirecTV to add the VEVO app.

I record Palladia HD(formerly Music HD) ch. 567 M-D 5ishAM to 8AM "Epic Awesome Videos"

#44 OFFLINE   scott0702

scott0702

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:46 AM

There are a few Sonic Tap channels I like such as Metro Blend but overall, my preference is SiriusXM. When Directv dropped SXM, I opted to get a subscription. Now, with the new My SXM opened up to subscribers for beta testing, I think that is a game changer. It works on the internet feeds. You can customize select SXM channels based on your preferences and so far the stations I have played around with, the results are excellent. For those that dislike the DJ/talk and the channel bumpers, My SXM eliminates those and it's just music. If you like the DJ's, you can listen to the live channel. Very nice.

#45 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

When Directv dropped SXM, I opted to get a subscription.

And that would be the litmus test as to if one really missed XM. Personally, I didn't miss it that much, I just knew I preferred it to Sonic Tap.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#46 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

Well, 8-tracks COULD be a good channel if they would just stop including all the cr*ppy filler songs. Some of them are so annoyingly bad that I had to stop what I was doing and find my remote to mute it, and I was on a 15 foot ladder installing a ceiling fan on my vaulted ceiling at the time.

This was addressed a page ago, the channel is playing exactly what it's description says it plays:

When I listen to any of the music channels, 8-tracks is one of my favorites. The equivalent station from XM days was something like Deep Tracks. It was intended from my understanding to be lesser heard tracks off albums from many of the biggest bands back in the day. Sounds like its doing exactly as its supposed to. Sorry you don't care for it, maybe one of the other classic rock stations would suit your tastes better.

Exactly, he is complaining about the station doing exactly what it is supposed to do. Here is Sonic Tap's description of the channel:

Deeper cuts from Classic Rock along with some of your favorites. A mix of Classic Rock from the 60's and 70's and unexpected treasures from some of the seminal albums of that time.

The "filler" tracks as the OP calls them is exactly what this channel is all about. If he doesn't want to hear them he should be listening to one of the many other stations that play the "hits" from the 60's and 70's.

The channel is called 8-Tracks, not 45's. Unless the 8-Track was a best of compilation, in most cases it included filler tracks. If you want just the hit singles from the era when 8-Tracks were popular try 60's Revolution, 70's Hits, Classic Rock or Retro Disco.

Edited by KyL416, 17 March 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#47 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,336 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

If Sirius put out music with decent bit rates, I might miss it, too. I prefer Pandora One to Spotify or other such services. Usually played through my AVR.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#48 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

An Awesome Dude

• Registered
  • 531 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:21 PM

I do not think Sonic Tap even comes close to SiriusXM

I think just due to the fact that they have NO TALKING makes it better!!! (You wanna pay to hear commercials and talking??)

#49 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:40 AM

I think just due to the fact that they have NO TALKING makes it better!!! (You wanna pay to hear commercials and talking??)

Talking, i.e.- giving a rundown of the last five tracks played (artist/song title), impending releases, and tour info, is a different thing from commercials. Uninterrupted music is a soulless beast as far as I'm concerned. I have to keep the TV turned on to know what song is being played. If I really wanted uninterrupted music, I can fire up my own Media Player and tell it Shuffle All.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#50 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,882 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:48 AM

I would like to see the Music channels fade away, and Just make Pandora the option. But I know the Non HR customers would be upset
  • Rich likes this

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, Cinemax,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 Inch

Tivo Mini Livingroom Vizio M602i-B3 60 Inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2  LG 26LE5300 26 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 3  Element ELEFW328 32 Inch
Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4  Magnavox 32 inch

Arris Touchstone DG1660

Dream 60 Mbps down 3 Mbps up.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...