Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I love Directv, but the Sonic Tap really sucks.

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dmgreene3263

dmgreene3263

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

I do not think Sonic Tap even comes close to SiriusXM....it is fantastic to hear the same station at home, in the car and in the office....Sonictap is for retail stores that want background music. I get excited every time someone updates the "xm coming back to dtv" forum but to no avail

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   postalguy1

postalguy1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:32 PM

Well, 8-tracks COULD be a good channel if they would just stop including all the cr*ppy filler songs. Some of them are so annoyingly bad that I had to stop what I was doing and find my remote to mute it, and I was on a 15 foot ladder installing a ceiling fan on my vaulted ceiling at the time.

I grew up on the songs of the 60s and 70s and you could tune to any rock station and never hear any of the filler trash. Every rock station we listened to while driving on vacation anywhere in the country played nothing but good music. So why is it so hard for this channel to leave out the cr*p and just play the good songs? Whoever is in charge of programming obviously never listens to it. There's probably some computer program that is set to 'random' and plays any song from any album. After selling the whole Sonic Tap package to Directv there's no need for them to actually provide a good playlist as there is no competition.

#43 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:28 AM

I'd love to see a Vevo app like they have on Roku and Xbox. VEVO launched their new 24/7 HD IPTV channel that is now available through the app. I was watching it through Xbox and the quality is great. Plus they have a huge library of music videos.

These days with MTV, VH1, CMT, etc no longer showing music videos... It would be a great addition to DirecTV to add the VEVO app.

I record Palladia HD(formerly Music HD) ch. 567 M-D 5ishAM to 8AM "Epic Awesome Videos"

#44 OFFLINE   scott0702

scott0702

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:46 AM

There are a few Sonic Tap channels I like such as Metro Blend but overall, my preference is SiriusXM. When Directv dropped SXM, I opted to get a subscription. Now, with the new My SXM opened up to subscribers for beta testing, I think that is a game changer. It works on the internet feeds. You can customize select SXM channels based on your preferences and so far the stations I have played around with, the results are excellent. For those that dislike the DJ/talk and the channel bumpers, My SXM eliminates those and it's just music. If you like the DJ's, you can listen to the live channel. Very nice.

#45 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

When Directv dropped SXM, I opted to get a subscription.

And that would be the litmus test as to if one really missed XM. Personally, I didn't miss it that much, I just knew I preferred it to Sonic Tap.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#46 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,119 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

Well, 8-tracks COULD be a good channel if they would just stop including all the cr*ppy filler songs. Some of them are so annoyingly bad that I had to stop what I was doing and find my remote to mute it, and I was on a 15 foot ladder installing a ceiling fan on my vaulted ceiling at the time.

This was addressed a page ago, the channel is playing exactly what it's description says it plays:

When I listen to any of the music channels, 8-tracks is one of my favorites. The equivalent station from XM days was something like Deep Tracks. It was intended from my understanding to be lesser heard tracks off albums from many of the biggest bands back in the day. Sounds like its doing exactly as its supposed to. Sorry you don't care for it, maybe one of the other classic rock stations would suit your tastes better.

Exactly, he is complaining about the station doing exactly what it is supposed to do. Here is Sonic Tap's description of the channel:

Deeper cuts from Classic Rock along with some of your favorites. A mix of Classic Rock from the 60's and 70's and unexpected treasures from some of the seminal albums of that time.

The "filler" tracks as the OP calls them is exactly what this channel is all about. If he doesn't want to hear them he should be listening to one of the many other stations that play the "hits" from the 60's and 70's.

The channel is called 8-Tracks, not 45's. Unless the 8-Track was a best of compilation, in most cases it included filler tracks. If you want just the hit singles from the era when 8-Tracks were popular try 60's Revolution, 70's Hits, Classic Rock or Retro Disco.

Edited by KyL416, 17 March 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#47 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,285 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

If Sirius put out music with decent bit rates, I might miss it, too. I prefer Pandora One to Spotify or other such services. Usually played through my AVR.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#48 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:21 PM

I do not think Sonic Tap even comes close to SiriusXM

I think just due to the fact that they have NO TALKING makes it better!!! (You wanna pay to hear commercials and talking??)

#49 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:40 AM

I think just due to the fact that they have NO TALKING makes it better!!! (You wanna pay to hear commercials and talking??)

Talking, i.e.- giving a rundown of the last five tracks played (artist/song title), impending releases, and tour info, is a different thing from commercials. Uninterrupted music is a soulless beast as far as I'm concerned. I have to keep the TV turned on to know what song is being played. If I really wanted uninterrupted music, I can fire up my own Media Player and tell it Shuffle All.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#50 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:48 AM

I would like to see the Music channels fade away, and Just make Pandora the option. But I know the Non HR customers would be upset
  • Rich likes this

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#51 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,961 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

I would like to see the Music channels fade away, and Just make Pandora the option. But I know the Non HR customers would be upset

I would say bring Pandora to the regular HD set tops as well. But then again the people without high speed internet connected to their DirecTV system would be SOL.

The bandwidth it takes for all of the audio channels is pretty slim that savings from removing it would negate the revenue lost from commercial muisc packages or people going to other sat services for a round package that includes music.

With the MTV's of today's generation no longer playing music videos (Except for a small block on Palladia in the wee hours of the morning), having music available is a welcome addition to the lineup.

Sometimes its just easy to quick put a sonic tap station when doing things around the house.

We do sometimes search YouTube for music videos, but DirecTV (or YouTube not sure who) filters a lot of the sponsored music videos from VEVO. Many search results in live performances or covers. Thus, I'd love a VEVO app right on DirecTV so I don't have to go down in the Family room and watch it through xbox. Plus searching on YouTube is a pain. If only we could use a QWERTY keyboard through our phone or ipad to type in DirecTV's search screens. I haven't texted on a number pad since the days of the Nokia 6190 in late 90's early 2000's. It's like riding a bike, I can do it... but surely QWERTY would be more efficient.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#52 OFFLINE   bakerfall

bakerfall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

An apple TV, airplay and 13000 songs in iTunes match, I never use Sonic Tap. I do subscribe to Sirius XM and the online quality is great, easily airplayed through the apple TV.

To each their own, I'm just a bit surprised at the # of people that use the music channels so heavily given the large number of ways to get music that you have far more control over.
HR20-700 (w/1 TB eSATA drive), HR24-500 x3, HR22-100, SWM-16, DECA

#53 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,285 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

An apple TV, airplay and 13000 songs in iTunes match, I never use Sonic Tap. I do subscribe to Sirius XM and the online quality is great, easily airplayed through the apple TV.

To each their own, I'm just a bit surprised at the # of people that use the music channels so heavily given the large number of ways to get music that you have far more control over.

Number of people? Based on a handful of comments here, or some other cite of a site?

Do you know the bit rate of Sirius online?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#54 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

Good point above. Followed almost immediately below by proof of said point:

:nono:

That's exactly why I told my brother in law to stay away from this site if he has a problem with his Direct. To many jerks that love to pounce on people with problems and say its whining. Try doing that in the real world to people. :nono2:
  • underlord2 likes this

#55 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,901 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

That's exactly why I told my brother in law to stay away from this site if he has a problem with his Direct. To many jerks that love to pounce on people with problems and say its whining. Try doing that in the real world to people. :nono2:

Oh get real. It's one thing when people post a issue they're having and ask for help. It's another when they post to blame and complain rather than look for cause. :rolleyes:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#56 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

Oh get real. It's one thing when people post a issue they're having and ask for help. It's another when they post to blame and complain rather than look for cause. :rolleyes:

Right like I've never seen you guys pounce on a guy when he has a had a problem with customer service or with contracts extended. :rolleyes: My brother in law has the PP and had a receiver replaced when it died. Come to find out they extended his contract. If he would of post here about that it would have been open season and you know it.
  • underlord2 likes this

#57 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,901 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

Right like I've never seen you guys pounce on a guy when he has a had a problem with customer service or with contracts extended. :rolleyes: My brother in law has the PP and had a receiver replaced when it died. Come to find out they extended his contract. If he would of post here about that it would have been open season and you know it.

I'll say it again. It's one thing when someone has a issue and asks for help. I've never seen people pounce on them. It's another thing when they post to blame and complain. They are the ones who get pounced on and rightly so. :rolleyes:

#58 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

I'll say it again. It's one thing when someone has a issue and asks for help. I've never seen people pounce on them. It's another thing when they post to blame and complain. They are the ones who get pounced on and rightly so. :rolleyes:

It's never rightfully so. No one has to do that. Try being an adult. If you don't like those threads don't read them or post in them. The thing is you love them. You can't wait to jump right in on someone. That right there is the truth and its sad. :nono:
  • bidger likes this

#59 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

OK, let's tone it down, please. The best part of this forum is that people can express their opinions without being attacked.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#60 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,901 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

It's never rightfully so. No one has to do that. Try being an adult. If you don't like those threads don't read them or post in them. The thing is you love them. You can't wait to jump right in on someone. That right there is the truth and its sad. :nono:

You're wrong and these two threads will prove it. 13 Mar 2013 "Sound Delay Issues", 16 Mar 2013 "Cannot Program Remote With Samsung TV". ;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...