Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Combines Sustainability and Customer Service with New Fleet of ROUSH CleanTech P

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,259 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

Pay-TV provider demonstrates environmental commitment by deploying 200 vans powered by clean, domestic alternative fuel to national fleet

INDIANAPOLIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- At the NTEA Work Truck Show today, DISH unveiled the first of 200 ROUSH CleanTech propane autogas-fueled Ford E-250 cargo vans that will enter the company's fleet in 2013. The satellite-TV company estimates these new propane autogas-powered vehicles will lower carbon dioxide emissions by 12.5 million pounds over the lifetime of the fleet's operation compared to gas-powered counterparts.

DISH's new alternative fuel vehicles will support residential and commercial customer service in Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles and San Francisco.

"These clean-burning propane autogas vehicles are better for our environment, our communities and operate more efficiently," said Erik Carlson, executive vice president of service and installation at DISH. "DISH expects to save about $2,500 per vehicle in annual lifecycle costs due to a 55 percent reduction in fuel costs and the cleaner burning properties of propane autogas."

DISH researched multiple alternative fuels available in the marketplace. Four factors made propane autogas the best fit: cost savings, national availability of a domestically sourced fuel, on-site fueling benefits and OEM choices that meet service requirements. Propane autogas vehicles emit fewer greenhouse gases and smog-producing hydrocarbons than conventionally fueled vehicles.

Currently, propane autogas is the only alternative fuel being implemented in DISH's fleet.

"Economical, clean-burning propane autogas is an excellent option for fleets looking for more efficient operation," said Todd Mouw, vice president of sales and marketing for ROUSH CleanTech. "Propane autogas is sourced domestically and is cheaper per mile to operate."

Propane autogas offers the largest public refueling network of all alternative fuels. Additionally, private, on-site refueling infrastructure costs less than any other alternative fuel option. This makes it economical for DISH to install refueling stations at each of their initial deployment locations.

More than 90 percent of the propane used in the U.S. comes from domestic sources of natural gas and petroleum. Additionally, ROUSH CleanTech's supply chain is primarily based in North America. The domestic nature of both the fuel and the technology influenced DISH's decision.

"As one of the nation's largest fleets with locations across the country, we believe we can have a real impact by putting a viable alternative fuel to work for us," said Carlson.

About DISH: DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides approximately 14.056 million satellite TV customers, as of Dec. 31, 2012, with the highest quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value, including HD Free for Life. Subscribers enjoy the largest high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation's subsidiary, Blockbuster L.L.C., delivers family entertainment to millions of customers around the world. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.

About ROUSH CleanTech: ROUSH CleanTech, an industry leader of alternative fuel vehicle technology, is a division of ROUSH Enterprises based in Livonia, Mich. ROUSH CleanTech designs, engineers, manufactures and installs propane autogas fuel system technology for light- and medium-duty Ford commercial vehicles, and Type A and Type C Blue Bird school buses. As a Ford QVM-certified alternative fuel vehicle manufacturer, ROUSH CleanTech delivers economical, clean and domestically produced fueling options for fleets across the country. Learn more at ROUSHcleantech.com or by calling 800.59.ROUSH.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,360 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

All well and good, but will it help them show up on time, or at all? :scratch:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

All well and good, but will it help them show up on time, or at all? :scratch:

Might add an excuse for not showing up. "I RAN OUT OF GAS"

#4 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

If they keep reducing the CO2 output, all the vegtetation will die, then the herbivores will die then the carnivores will die!!

OH NO!! WERE ALL GONNA DIE!!

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#5 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

I guess I am getting old, but I get really upset when I here about all this sustainability nonsense. Back in the 1980's I worked at a job that required me to drive a propane van. It always felt like I was driving a bomb. One day I went to get in it and a propane hose had broken and gas was spewing everywhere. (Had to call the fire department.) I also watched solar get installed in many buildings and schools only to get torn out in the 1990's because it was to expensive to maintain the equipment. I also was involved in efforts to buy recycled paper and toner cartridges only to find people would not use them or they cost to much. (Do you know some copier companies will not honor warranties or maintenance agreements when recycled paper or toner is used.) I even worked with the state on some of these projects but funding was always cut.

Fast forward 30 years and I see Sustainability Managers being hired, at the expense of other programs, and companies and government beating their chests about how green they are. How many of these solar panel companies have gone out of business or sent production overseas? This didn't work in the 80's or 90's so what will make it work now? You could say technology advances but I think it is all politics and feel good political correctness. Being green still costs more, and given a choice, most folks will not pay more. But government will and so will Dish. What happens when their projections don't come true? Oh, thats right, they can just raise your bill!

I notice Dish says they will save $2500.00 per vehicle in lifecycle costs, but they fail to mention how much more each vehicle will cost.

#6 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

Please look at the leaps and bounds that just solar alone has done in 40 years!!!....Look at a country Like Germany and how they lead the world....We are just followers, and we just keep falling farther behind....

Stand next to a solar array take a deep breath.....Then stand next to your car and do the same.....Oil burning engines do have there place, they just should be far less.....The internal combustion engine really hasn't changed in 100 years  .

I think its time for change because, its well over due.

I guess I am getting old, but I get really upset when I here about all this sustainability nonsense. Back in the 1980's I worked at a job that required me to drive a propane van. It always felt like I was driving a bomb. One day I went to get in it and a propane hose had broken and gas was spewing everywhere. (Had to call the fire department.) I also watched solar get installed in many buildings and schools only to get torn out in the 1990's because it was to expensive to maintain the equipment. I also was involved in efforts to buy recycled paper and toner cartridges only to find people would not use them or they cost to much. (Do you know some copier companies will not honor warranties or maintenance agreements when recycled paper or toner is used.) I even worked with the state on some of these projects but funding was always cut.

Fast forward 30 years and I see Sustainability Managers being hired, at the expense of other programs, and companies and government beating their chests about how green they are. How many of these solar panel companies have gone out of business or sent production overseas? This didn't work in the 80's or 90's so what will make it work now? You could say technology advances but I think it is all politics and feel good political correctness. Being green still costs more, and given a choice, most folks will not pay more. But government will and so will Dish. What happens when their projections don't come true? Oh, thats right, they can just raise your bill!

I notice Dish says they will save $2500.00 per vehicle in lifecycle costs, but they fail to mention how much more each vehicle will cost.

#7 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

At least they didn't invest in electric vehicles.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...