Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV interface performance / MIPS SoC limitations? Frame-buffer bottleneck?

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

I dunno... Why does Apple invest money in developing smooth software on the iPad / iPhone? Or why did Google spend so much time in "project butter" to improve android's performance (60fps smooth triple buffering).

Why did Microsoft spend so much development in Aero? Then when they did Windows 8, they still spent a lot of time on the looks and transitioning in and out of screens (live tiles / apps).

It's all about the overall experience. Does a graphic transition make it faster? Maybe not... But it provides a sense of context and makes it "feel" faster by visually executing an action at the push of a button.

See:
http://www.ui-transitions.com/#home

I guess I just take modern day systems for granted.

+1

Windows 8 is horrible but the performance is there

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,967 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:08 AM

Windows 8 is horrible but the performance is there

Agreed. Just tested it but I HAD to install classic shell to get anything done. Windows 7 works well enough for me to not have to purchase an upgrade.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#23 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 649 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

I just watched the Xfinity video. WOW that thing works nice.

#24 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,489 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

probably next decade :)
why invest more money into development/manufacturing of new DVR, if 100% of current models (include old one) play channels just fine;
switching channels slow ? guide is slow ? too many ads ?
well, it's not a main function of the STB ! ;)

relax and enjoy your movie/event not its functionality ...

All those things you listed effect the main function of the box!

And Directvs HR's Have been ""FIXING"":rolleyes: The same issues since 2006.
If anything Money should be dumped in getting these things much more bug free.

I love the responses here because here is a guy who started this thread with some down to earth non bashing recommendations for improving these HRs, and the same old" OH theres nothing wrong with these things"
line we get everytime around here.:rolleyes:

That gets old!
Directv has the slowest buggiest equipment.
Show me a box that's slower. I want to see!

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#25 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,489 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

I dunno... Why does Apple invest money in developing smooth software on the iPad / iPhone? Or why did Google spend so much time in "project butter" to improve android's performance (60fps smooth triple buffering).

Why did Microsoft spend so much development in Aero? Then when they did Windows 8, they still spent a lot of time on the looks and transitioning in and out of screens (live tiles / apps).

It's all about the overall experience. Does a graphic transition make it faster? Maybe not... But it provides a sense of context and makes it "feel" faster by visually executing an action at the push of a button.

See:
http://www.ui-transitions.com/#home

I guess I just take modern day systems for granted.

You should contact someone at Directv Directly. Send an Email to CEO Office , they will call you back within 4 hours! They are 2 for 2 on that for me.:icon_cool

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#26 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,498 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

Directv has the slowest buggiest equipment.
Show me a box that's slower. I want to see!

Last time I saw one, the TWC Navigator was pretty bad.

#27 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,489 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

Last time I saw one, the TWC Navigator was pretty bad.

Maybe we can Youtube it?

Scientific Atlanta boxes from out Blue ridge cable were very responsive.
Dish 722k I had for 3 years lighting quick and loaded with so many features.

Sure we love Directv, we love the receiver options, programming options, Sometimes the Price, But that doesn't mean were should have to over look the same Receiver issues.
Directv wants to be named the best, then nothing should be unturned.

I hear the same things all time, I love my Directv, But the receivers are slow, sometimes they freeze.

Look at the threads here, look at the reviews.

I'm all for a good solution to help Directv's HRs

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#28 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:21 AM

Hopper commercial focuses on its 3X speed advantage over Genie

Now DirecTV could invest money in optimizing the code to make it faster, or waste money on advertising against Hopper. I think they should sink money into making the platform fast.

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#29 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,374 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:50 AM

Now DirecTV could invest money in optimizing the code to make it faster, or waste money on advertising against Hopper. I think they should sink money into making the platform fast.

I think the UI should be left alone or we'll suffer the consequences we always do with any major changes. All I ever wanted was something better than a VCR. You have to admit the HRs are better than any VCR. Gotta be careful what you wish for with D*.

Rich

#30 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:08 AM

You'd think that Dish Network would be using the 'speed' of their receivers in all their marketing... At least in the bullet point comparisons with each commercial.

I saw a Hopper for the first time last week and it beats the pants off even my HR24s. I'd say their 3x faster is pretty conservative. It's pretty crazy to hit a button on the remote and get instant response from the receiver!

#31 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:12 AM

I think the UI should be left alone or we'll suffer the consequences we always do with any major changes. All I ever wanted was something better than a VCR. You have to admit the HRs are better than any VCR. Gotta be careful what you wish for with D*.

Rich

I'm with you Rich, the last thing I want DirecTV doing is another major overhaul like they did with the HDGUI. Even the simple updates since the HDGUI make old problems return only to be fixed (again) over the next few updates. Getting pretty old...

I think the fix is to just upgrade the hardware - leave the software as-is and speed up the slow-software by increasing the speed of the hardware. Maybe that's what they've done with the HR44 - I guess it won't be too long and we'll know.

Short of a hardware fix maybe DirecTV could steal some engineers from Dish Network!

#32 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 463 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

I have never experience such terrible guides as the the Time Warner Cable guide. You haven't seen buggy, laggy, or unresponsive until you've used that thing.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#33 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,398 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:29 PM

You have to admit the HRs are better than any VCR.

My JVC VCR skips commercials.

Gotta be careful what you wish for with D*.

In this, you speak the truth.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#34 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,398 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

I think the fix is to just upgrade the hardware - leave the software as-is and speed up the slow-software by increasing the speed of the hardware.

This would appear to be what DIRECTV was thinking with regard to the HR24 prior to the HD GUI. The HD GUI unequivocally proved this theory to be hogwash.

The answer lies in writing good code; not Rapid Application Development code and not jack-of-all-trades code.

Efficient and technically sound code will cost, but it will allow them to continue to recycle hardware that is otherwise going to have to be end-of-lifed for no other reason than it doesn't have the horsepower to run crappy code..

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#35 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

The answer lies in writing good code; not Rapid Application Development code and not jack-of-all-trades code.

Kind if like how a flash based website / game can bring google chrome to 100% CPU usage and an entire older PC to a crawl?

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#36 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,398 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

Kind if like how a flash based website / game can bring google chrome to 100% CPU usage and an entire older PC to a crawl?

I was thinking more along the lines of Microsoft's CPU-devouing .net "technology". Flash is an admirable attempt at bringing widely disparate hardware and software platforms to a common multimedia code base.

DVRs don't need this so much as they're mostly running Linux variations with relatively comparable hardware give or take a some high-zoot graphics rendering hardware. There are trade-offs between having a single codeset across all platforms and having separate sets tailored to their respective platforms.

#37 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

This would appear to be what DIRECTV was thinking with regard to the HR24 prior to the HD GUI. The HD GUI unequivocally proved this theory to be hogwash.

Efficient and technically sound code will cost, but it will allow them to continue to recycle hardware that is otherwise going to have to be end-of-lifed for no other reason than it doesn't have the horsepower to run crappy code..

Maybe so but why the HDGUI update then? They screwed up by going with the HDGUI software 'upgrade'. What did we get out of it? Color change and maybe crisp text that wasn't blurry to begin with. No more guide info or anything - just 9 months of debugging in an attempt to get back to a little less performance than before the HDGUI.....

Writing good code may come if the number of subs stops increasing or actually reverses course and goes down. Maybe they'll hire someone in management with a little pride - you never know! Until then it will be business as usual. You'd think 'Good code' would make sense but they are not hurting for money or subs so 'Mediocre code' is just fabulous.

If I had anything to do with DirecTV management I would be embarrassed - especially with the C31 clients... Talk about under-performance - wow - they should be ashamed! :eek2:

#38 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

I was thinking more along the lines of Microsoft's CPU-devouing .net "technology". Flash is an admirable attempt at bringing widely disparate hardware and software platforms to a common multimedia code base.

DVRs don't need this so much as they're mostly running Linux variations with relatively comparable hardware give or take a some high-zoot graphics rendering hardware. There are trade-offs between having a single codeset across all platforms and having separate sets tailored to their respective platforms.

Maybe 'admirable attempt' but a failed attempt noless. The sooner Flash goes away the better the entire PC world will be. With Flash and Java general troubles and massive security problems I for one will be happy when there is not trace of them left on any computer anywhere!:D

#39 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

You'd think that Dish Network would be using the 'speed' of their receivers in all their marketing... At least in the bullet point comparisons with each commercial.

I saw a Hopper for the first time last week and it beats the pants off even my HR24s. I'd say their 3x faster is pretty conservative. It's pretty crazy to hit a button on the remote and get instant response from the receiver!

I agree, the Dish Hopper is very fast in comparison to anything HR! And the newest model with Sling is even faster than the original, and done on a full GUI interface too!

But I do miss the simplicity of the D* GUI and the lists. E* has iconified every damned thing and it is a not pretty when trying to manage some things that lists are perfect for.

I have to wonder how Dish is able to get things so fast, and D* just doesn't seem to be able to.

The single thing that is the same between them when it comes to speed is channel changing. If the HR is set to Native Off and a single resolution, then the channel change speed is the same as Dish's equipment since that is all they offer.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#40 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

Writing good code may come if the number of subs stops increasing or actually reverses course and goes down. Maybe they'll hire someone in management with a little pride - you never know! Until then it will be business as usual. You'd think 'Good code' would make sense but they are not hurting for money or subs so 'Mediocre code' is just fabulous.

I think that for the majority of customers, even though the HRxx's are all pretty slow in comparison to Dish's equipment, it just isn't enough of an issue. For us geeks here it is something to talk about nearly every day!! :)

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...