Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV could pull plug on NFL Sunday Ticket

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

Posted by Mike Florio
DirecTV CFO Pat Doyle said at a Wednesday investors conference that, if the price goes up too high when the current NFL Sunday Ticket deal expires after the 2014 season, DirecTV would consider “striking a non-exclusive deal with the NFL or possibly even dropping the popular package,” writes the Hollywood Reporter, via SportsBusiness Daily.

The fact that there’s no new deal only two seasons away from expiration of the current contract isn’t a good sign, given that the NFL usually extends these things years in advance. ...

More at http://profootballta...-sunday-ticket/

Edited by Tom Robertson, 09 March 2013 - 04:14 PM.
Edited to reduce copyrighted material.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

I am not that worried about it for now. I have read over and over again that the NFL does not want it available to all providers as it would lower their worth with the local channels. In the past the Cable Co's didn't have the capacity to run it and Dish Network is too cheap to get it. I don't see it leaving DirecTV soon.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#3 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

Posted by Mike Florio

DirecTV CFO Pat Doyle said at a Wednesday investors conference that, if the price goes up too high when the current NFL Sunday Ticket deal expires after the 2014 season, DirecTV would consider “striking a non-exclusive deal with the NFL or possibly even dropping the popular package,” writes the Hollywood Reporter, via SportsBusiness Daily.

The fact that there’s no new deal only two seasons away from expiration of the current contract isn’t a good sign, given that the NFL usually extends these things years in advance. ...

cable will need to do a lot of work to fit it in.

Directv will lose a lot bars if they drop the ticket. and cable can't cover all the areas that directv does.

Maybe it will come to cable systems and directv / dish.

In Canada there is no exclusive to it.

Edited by Tom Robertson, 09 March 2013 - 04:17 PM.
Reduced copyrighted material

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#4 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,029 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

Could be a good thing if DIRECTV didn't have exclusive rights anymore, maybe a pricing battle between DIRECTV and the cable/telco's.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#5 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

Not surprised NFL ST isn't pulling its own weight.

#6 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,048 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

Not surprised NFL ST isn't pulling its own weight.

How so? It's very difficult to find a decent sports bar without ST.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#7 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 684 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

Didn't the price come down last season because of the NFL Net's Thursday night games, NFLST had less inventory to offer? I don't see where the NFL has a lot of negotiating room to demand a significant increase in the fees paid to it for ST.
Could this be another attempt by D* to lessen its desire to keep the sports fan happy? As fees rise, D* could be positioning itself to pass on more sports programming, and appeal to a more general audience; keep the fees down by limiting what's available on its system.
I don't begrudge them if that's their plan going forward, just let us know.

#8 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

Could be a good thing if DIRECTV didn't have exclusive rights anymore, maybe a pricing battle between DIRECTV and the cable/telco's.

Not saying there is no chance of this happening but I have read a few times over the years that the NFL is the one that wants it exclusive. To many options for the package lowers the NFL's worth in other areas and it was not worth it to them. I am sure DirecTV see's that it is a big draw for them as well. They seem to have alot of installs around that time of year. I do think there could be more gained if the price was lowered but that is not by decision.
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#9 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

Id leave if it left Directv, but Id stay if it was like MLB Extra Innings.

#10 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

Id leave if it left Directv, but Id stay if it was like MLB Extra Innings.

I would strongly consider leaving if DirecTV lost Sunday Ticket but it would have to be with another provider that made sense. I mean, the cable co here would never get it and if they did, their 20 hour cap on a HD DVR does nothing for me. I would probably try to find another way to watch the games. Hopefully if it comes to that, there will be a way to stream them with a RoKu box or PS3 or something of that nature.
Sony KDL-46HX800

#11 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

I would strongly consider leaving if DirecTV lost Sunday Ticket but it would have to be with another provider that made sense. I mean, the cable co here would never get it and if they did, their 20 hour cap on a HD DVR does nothing for me. I would probably try to find another way to watch the games. Hopefully if it comes to that, there will be a way to stream them with a RoKu box or PS3 or something of that nature.

I agree, and to clarify what I said was Id stay if it went non exclusive like Extra Innings and the other packages. If its like mlb.tv, then its a whole different story.

#12 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

I think D* will still maintain the upper hand even if they renew NFLST on a non-exclusive basis.

1. D*'s HD is unmatched.
2. Could CableCos from coast to coast really alter their infrastructures to accommodate the capacities needed for NFLST for a few months out of a whole year?
3. Fios and Uverse is good on technology and PQ, but distribution is comparatively limited and will be so for the foreseeable future.
4. We all know E*'s stance on paying for anything.

#13 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,306 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

I see the story as an early negotiating tactic. The package is a very big plus for Direct. I don't see them dropping it at all, just trying to keep the cost of it down.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#14 OFFLINE   je4755

je4755

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

The availability of Sunday Ticket remains of central importance to me as an 18-year DirecTV subscriber. It truly would prove a cosmic jape that as DirecTV finally is presenting most of the channels I desire in HD it would lose broadcast rights to NFL games, thereby obviating the ability to follow – albeit often in despair – my beloved Eagles.

#15 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

I think D* will still maintain the upper hand even if they renew NFLST on a non-exclusive basis.

1. D*'s HD is unmatched.
2. Could CableCos from coast to coast really alter their infrastructures to accommodate the capacities needed for NFLST for a few months out of a whole year?
3. Fios and Uverse is good on technology and PQ, but distribution is comparatively limited and will be so for the foreseeable future.
4. We all know E*'s stance on paying for anything.

shaw / rogers and others use MPEG 4 and or SDV to fit in Sunday Ticket and 9-15+ NHL CI HD feeds.

#16 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

With the advent of nfl red zone, I don't think NFL ST is worth as much as it used to be.

#17 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

Well it is cheaper than it was a few years ago which has gotten a cheap guy like me to pony up the money to get it. Red Zone is nice, but nothing like seeing your team from start to finish.

#18 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,641 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

Bah. Mike Florio is known to throw crap against the wall to see if any of it sticks.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#19 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

I'd follow ST to U-Verse or even Dish. Cable exclusivity would be a disaster for me. :(

RedZone doesn't do it for me. I want to watch football, not just scoring plays. I really hope this isn't the end of ST.

#20 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

I'd follow ST to U-Verse or even Dish. Cable exclusivity would be a disaster for me. :(

RedZone doesn't do it for me. I want to watch football, not just scoring plays. I really hope this isn't the end of ST.

U-verse covers to few areas and DISH still has the RSN game only HD joke.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...