Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV could pull plug on NFL Sunday Ticket

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,803 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

I see one of three things happening:

• D* keeps it
  • D* shares it with other providers
  • Cable (Comcast?) swoops in and steals it away from D* :eek2:

Don't count the larger cable companies out, they now have, or will have, the bandwidth to carry it. The only problem is not all areas of the country can get cable, and not all cable companies have the bandwidth to add it.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,086 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

I'd follow ST to U-Verse or even Dish. Cable exclusivity would be a disaster for me. :(

RedZone doesn't do it for me. I want to watch football, not just scoring plays. I really hope this isn't the end of ST.

Where would Dish come up with the bandwidth to add all those games in SD and HD on Sundays?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#23 OFFLINE   CincySaint

CincySaint

AllStar

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

Here's another negative story about it.

Bleacher Report

IMHO this is just an early negotiating tactic by D*. The exclusivity has helped D* gain high revenue subscribers for years and they don't want to lose that. Of course, if the NFL wants an outrageous rights fee increase, I can see the argument against renewing. But D* will surely argue that between the Thursday night package and Red Zone, ST is worth less than in the past.

Edited by CincySaint, 06 March 2013 - 11:09 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

Well it is cheaper than it was a few years ago which has gotten a cheap guy like me to pony up the money to get it. Red Zone is nice, but nothing like seeing your team from start to finish.

I wish they would bring the price down to say $99 and the max package $149. I know we can get deals if we call retention but I'd rather just sign up and not have to make that call.
Hr34-700 living room
C31-700 bedroom
H23-600 family room

#25 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 741 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

I agree with those who say this is an early negotiating ploy by D*.

The NFL cannot allow this package to be available to all America's 110,000,000 cable homes.

The current TV contracts ( FOX, CBS, NBC, ESPN ) run until 2021, and I can't imagine the 4 networks signed monster deals that far out without assurances of limited ST distribution.

Currently, ST is just over 12% of the NFL's total television revenue.

For better or worse, D* continues to be the best "singular" option for the NFL, and both sides know it.

It never hurts to throw a bit of weight around this far ahead of new contract negotiations.

#26 OFFLINE   saleen351

saleen351

Godfather

• Registered
  • 478 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

I complained and was made fun of last year for DTV being lazy with NFLST. With so many games on tv and RZ its far too expensive and they nothing to innovate.

#27 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

I sure hope this is just a negotiating tactic. NFLST is what brought me to Directv. Since then I've come to really love Directv's service, generally. But if I couldn't watch my Steelers play (and I mean watch every play of every game - Redzone just doesn't cut it for me), it would be tough staying with Directv, especially if it went to a provider other than cable that looked competitive in other respects.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#28 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

I see one of three things happening:

• D* keeps it
  • D* shares it with other providers
  • Cable (Comcast?) swoops in and steals it away from D* :eek2:

Don't count the larger cable companies out, they now have, or will have, the bandwidth to carry it. The only problem is not all areas of the country can get cable, and not all cable companies have the bandwidth to add it.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

but can cable handle commercials accounts with 8-15+ boxes? And let's just say must have a newer MPEG4 box to get NFT ST?

Can the SDV system really handle 8-15 HD part time needs on locals nodes all live at the same time + other non commercials needs (home users) at the same time who are on the same node?.

What about in demand will they even have the SD room to add NFL ST? Will they have to trun off Other HD of market sports to fit it in? Yes the NFT ST over laps with the NHL, NBA and MLB.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#29 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:55 AM

In Canada every provider offers it.

For quite a bit less than DIRECTV charges.

#30 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 380 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:37 AM

Sunday Ticket was and remains the chief reason why I have D*. If it were to go to another provider, I will likely follow that's just how important it is to me. But we have 2 more years of it on D*, so no time to panic.

In my area, the cable company (Comcast) has zero capacity for any additional high definition channels. If they were to get it, I'm sure they would have to black out channels on Sunday similar to the early days of HD and DirecTV (remember TNT being blacked out?).

But not all games are in HD at least on one provider up there (Shaw Direct)

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - 2014

#31 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,701 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

Canada does not really matter to the NFL.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#32 OFFLINE   vthokies1996

vthokies1996

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

I'd most likely leave if Directv dropped it. I think the only way I would stay with Directv was if the NFL made it available like MLB.tv where I could watch it on my Blu-Ray players and Xbox.

#33 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

Well it is cheaper than it was a few years ago which has gotten a cheap guy like me to pony up the money to get it. Red Zone is nice, but nothing like seeing your team from start to finish.

+1 As a displaced Patriot fan, RedZone wouldn't be beneficial. I dont really care about watching other games. If I want that kind of coverage, i'll just watch highlights.

#34 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

I complained and was made fun of last year for DTV being lazy with NFLST. With so many games on tv and RZ its far too expensive and they nothing to innovate.

To me, i'm not sure innovation really matters in a sports sub. The /main/ goal/priority of a sports sub is to provide the ability for someone to watch full live games of teams that are outside of their market. The RZ does not replace that ability, or come close. The RZ I think is more for the fan who likes to track multiple games, without having a vested fan intrest in them.

#35 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

How so? It's very difficult to find a decent sports bar without ST.

And therefore it is difficult to find a sports bar that does NOT have DirecTV. Imagine the lost revenue for D* if they lose regular subscribers AND the bars.

I agree with the other who say it's just saber rattling.

#36 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,178 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:19 AM

i take anything florio says with a grain of salt. i'm not saying dtv could lose (or end up sharing) sunday ticket. but i would rather read or hear it from someone other than florio!

#37 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:19 AM

I see the story as an early negotiating tactic. The package is a very big plus for Direct. I don't see them dropping it at all, just trying to keep the cost of it down.

That's exactly what it is, they're just trying to keep the price of the next contract down.

#38 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

I agree with those who say this is an early negotiating ploy by D*.

The NFL cannot allow this package to be available to all America's 110,000,000 cable homes.

The current TV contracts ( FOX, CBS, NBC, ESPN ) run until 2021, and I can't imagine the 4 networks signed monster deals that far out without assurances of limited ST distribution.

Currently, ST is just over 12% of the NFL's total television revenue.

For better or worse, D* continues to be the best "singular" option for the NFL, and both sides know it.

It never hurts to throw a bit of weight around this far ahead of new contract negotiations.

Am I missing something? How would widespread ST affect the games on local channels? It's meant for people who live outside of the market for that team, so wouldn't get it on their own locals anyway, and any game on a local is blacked out on the ST channel.
--
And ESPN wouldn't matter at all, as ST is only the 1/4pm games on Sunday, all ESPN does is MNF.

#39 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 885 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

Anyone sub to SBJ ? From Twitter yesterday

SBJ/SBD‏@SBJSBD

CB: DirecTV could re-evaluate its NFL Sunday Ticket package; Notre Dame might be able to join ACC this summer. http://sbjsbd.biz/jGeJJU $

#40 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

Am I missing something? How would widespread ST affect the games on local channels? It's meant for people who live outside of the market for that team, so wouldn't get it on their own locals anyway, and any game on a local is blacked out on the ST channel.
--
And ESPN wouldn't matter at all, as ST is only the 1/4pm games on Sunday, all ESPN does is MNF.

I agree with the ESPN situation, but on Sunday, if more people had ST, then more would be watching a game other than the one that is being shown on the local channel, so the local channel looses viewers. There are many people who do not have ST now that would rather watch a different game but end up watching the game on the local channel because that is the game tht is available.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...