Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV could pull plug on NFL Sunday Ticket

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   don s

don s

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

I see the story as an early negotiating tactic. The package is a very big plus for Direct. I don't see them dropping it at all, just trying to keep the cost of it down.

Yup, this.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 657 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

I agree with those who say this is an early negotiating ploy by D*.

The NFL cannot allow this package to be available to all America's 110,000,000 cable homes.

I also agree, no way the NFL lets this be available to everyone nationwide. Although I was surprised they let it be streamed on the PS3.

#43 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

If DIRECTV loses (or gives up) NFL-ST, it will either go exclusive to Dish, or be open for everyone. There's no way the NFL will allow a cable company to have it exclusively. No cable company covers enough of the country for that to be a viable option.

That said, I will have to go wherever ST goes. I won't like it, but I'll do it.

#44 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,106 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

If DIRECTV loses (or gives up) NFL-ST, it will either go exclusive to Dish, or be open for everyone. There's no way the NFL will allow a cable company to have it exclusively. No cable company covers enough of the country for that to be a viable option.

That said, I will have to go wherever ST goes. I won't like it, but I'll do it.

i doubt dish would ever want and/or get sunday ticket.

#45 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

To fleckerj: You're exactly right. Your comment about the protection of the local FOX and CBS affiliates is the reason those networks don't want widespread ST.

To HXG: You're exactly right. ESPN and NBC would not care... and honestly, I can't imagine what I was thinking when I included them in my comment! :)

Cheers,
cmasia

#46 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

Am I missing something? How would widespread ST affect the games on local channels? It's meant for people who live outside of the market for that team, so wouldn't get it on their own locals anyway, and any game on a local is blacked out on the ST channel.
--
And ESPN wouldn't matter at all, as ST is only the 1/4pm games on Sunday, all ESPN does is MNF.

Because of all the other games. I imagine like most areas your local channels show 3 games every Sunday. You local team, and two other games between non-local teams. The ratings for those two other games would probably be influenced a lot if all the sudden everyone with cable/satellite TV could watch games other than those two on the local channels. The ratings for the local team would probably be hurt a bit as well since some people aren't necessarily fans of the local team and might watch a different game instead.

By limiting Sunday Ticket to DirecTV they limit the number of people that have access to games other than the three being aired by the local channels.

This is the exact same reason they black out the games being carried locally on the Sunday Ticket channels. If they didn't some people might watch the same game on the Sunday Ticket channel instead of their local channel, which would hurt the ratings on the local channel even though the viewer is watching the same programming.

In Canada I imagine this isn't as big of a deal because I'm guessing the channels up there don't pay huge amounts of money for the exclusive rights to games in certain areas like the local networks do down here in the US.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#47 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

i doubt dish would ever want and/or get sunday ticket.

I agree with that, I was just pointing out the only viable options if DIRECTV doesn't renew their exclusive rights (which I think they will).

#48 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,314 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

In Canada every provider offers it.

For quite a bit less than DIRECTV charges.

Well I would hope so. With it not even being a league there, why would they change the same prices? I think it would be different if we had a team up there like MLB.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#49 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,314 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

Am I missing something? How would widespread ST affect the games on local channels? It's meant for people who live outside of the market for that team, so wouldn't get it on their own locals anyway, and any game on a local is blacked out on the ST channel.
--
And ESPN wouldn't matter at all, as ST is only the 1/4pm games on Sunday, all ESPN does is MNF.

You are missing something. Not everyone has DirecTV or the ability to watch those out of market games. While you are correct that offering Sunday Ticket would not mean they are watching the local games on another channel it does give them options to watch a game other then what the local channel is offering. That is why I joined DirecTV. My choices here on Sundays without Sunday Ticket are Rams and Chiefs. NO THANKS! I would rather not watch football then see which one of them two is gonna suck it up worse on a weekly basis.

If Sunday Ticket were offered on all systems, alot of people would be watching an out of market game and not the local one offered. That would mean that the adds during the local NFL games are not seen by as many people and lower the price to run an add which means the local loses and also has to pay the NFL a large price tag to carry their games to begin with. Would you want to do business that way?
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#50 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

If DirecTv drops NFL Sunday Ticket, They better get ready to drop me as a Subscriber and my $124.99 a month bill that i send them every month. Some months my bill is even higher than that. Where NFL Ticket Goes is Where I will go. I am a loyal DirecTv Subscriber for Sports & I don't want to switch my service. DirecTv had better Re-Up with the NFL.

#51 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

No NFLST, No D* for my house. We are already screwed out of getting CSN-Philly, but having D* miss CSN-Philly AND NFLST would be a guaranteed non-starter.

This story comes right from the D* CFO, Pat Doyle. It certainly seems serious with the CFO's statment

http://www.hollywood...s-a-mess-426271

#52 OFFLINE   profmrw

profmrw

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

No Sunday ticket would make me seriously think about staying on with D*... This is one of the reasons I have been with D* since 1997 versus another provider.

#53 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,796 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

This story comes right from the D* CFO, Pat Doyle. It certainly seems serious with the CFO's statment

http://www.hollywood...s-a-mess-426271

Asked about the future of DirecTV's NFL Sunday Ticket amid rising sports costs, he said that if the price tag went too high in the next rights deal negotiations, DirecTV would consider striking a non-exclusive deal with the NFL or possibly even dropping the popular package.

What do you expect him to say? "We at DirecTV will psy whatever they ask of us." :lol:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#54 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,314 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

If DirecTv drops NFL Sunday Ticket, They better get ready to drop me as a Subscriber and my $124.99 a month bill that i send them every month. Some months my bill is even higher than that. Where NFL Ticket Goes is Where I will go. I am a loyal DirecTv Subscriber for Sports & I don't want to switch my service. DirecTv had better Re-Up with the NFL.

$124.99 wow. Last month mine as $250+. $110 of that was two UFC PPV's though. In average its usually $155.
Sony KDL-46HX800

#55 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

I agree with the ESPN situation, but on Sunday, if more people had ST, then more would be watching a game other than the one that is being shown on the local channel, so the local channel looses viewers. There are many people who do not have ST now that would rather watch a different game but end up watching the game on the local channel because that is the game tht is available.

It would lower the value of the CBS and FOX packages considerably. Their nationally and regionally televised games, not the locals.

#56 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

So the folks that say no NFL-ST on DIRECTV, and lets say only the cable companies pick it up, not Dish or the telcos, you're going to switch to cable? Just wondering if the higher cost that usually comes with cable, plus their HD DVR's, which for the most part are worst then just about anything DIRECTV has, is really something you'd live with?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#57 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

Well either you have some credits like I do or you do not get all the channels. I for one as of this moment have the premium package with mlbei, nhlci, fox soccer ,Spanish basic channels due to the extra sports. I haven't called about mls or nflst as of yet.
Hr34-700 living room
C31-700 bedroom
H23-600 family room

#58 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

I agree with the ESPN situation, but on Sunday, if more people had ST, then more would be watching a game other than the one that is being shown on the local channel, so the local channel looses viewers. There are many people who do not have ST now that would rather watch a different game but end up watching the game on the local channel because that is the game tht is available.

Ah, okay, I see. I didn't look at it from that angle. Thanks. :D

#59 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,314 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

So the folks that say no NFL-ST on DIRECTV, and lets say only the cable companies pick it up, not Dish or the telcos, you're going to switch to cable? Just wondering if the higher cost that usually comes with cable, plus their HD DVR's, which for the most part are worst then just about anything DIRECTV has, is really something you'd live with?

For me, no way. If Cable had it I dont know if I would sub to it unless there was some online way like MLB.TV. The Cable Co here is not worth the money at all. I need my HD DVR to hold more than 20 hours of programming.
Sony KDL-46HX800

#60 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

I think your scenario is unlikely. I doubt NFL ST would ever be not offered on DIRECTV. I could see it being available at other providers, but not at the expense of DIRECTV.

That said, yes, I will follow ST. It'll suck, but I'll do it.

spam firewall