Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV could pull plug on NFL Sunday Ticket

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

After being with DirecTV for this long, I am not sure I would switch even if Dish got Sunday Ticket. They still wouldn't have MLB Extra Innings so I probably wouldn't.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   bjdotson

bjdotson

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

One possibility is that directv retains the exclusive on commercial contracts and opens up on the residential. It's all about the negotiation.

#63 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,718 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

If NFLST went to cable, I'd get a minimum cable subscription. If it went to Dish--a more likely alternative if Directv dropped it IMHO--I'd get sick at the thought of doing business with Charlie Ergen, and probably drop the package.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#64 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

One possibility is that directv retains the exclusive on commercial contracts and opens up on the residential. It's all about the negotiation.

That is what I see occurring as D* has a crap load of businesses that get it because of Sunday Ticket. But as Ive read, would in demand if it goes the cable route have enough capacity to hold it?

#65 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

That is what I see occurring as D* has a crap load of businesses that get it because of Sunday Ticket. But as Ive read, would in demand if it goes the cable route have enough capacity to hold it?

That is one big question another is there is no cable provider out there that reaches the entire US so its not just a matter of capacity. It would be a waste it if was on cable only.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#66 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

That is one big question another is there is no cable provider out there that reaches the entire US so its not just a matter of capacity. It would be a waste it if was on cable only.

The cable packages are handled by In Demand and the systems pick up what they can fit. Not all MLB, NHL, NBA games are in HD but they are getting better but a lot of systems do not do more than a handful of HD channels.

Not sure the NFL would stand for inconsistency. They demanded that the networks and DirecTV have all games in HD a few years ago.

Branding is as important to the NFL as payments in contracts.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#67 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

If DIRECTV drops NFL ST, I would probably keep DIRECTV because of their excellent NHL CI HD pacakge. Then add the new provider of NFL ST and suspend DIRECTV during the NFL season.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#68 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

If DIRECTV drops NFL ST, I would probably keep DIRECTV because of their excellent NHL CI HD pacakge. Then add the new provider of NFL ST and suspend DIRECTV during the NFL season.

the NHL season is in-season when the NFL season is going

#69 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

I see one of three things happening:

• D* keeps it
  • D* shares it with other providers
  • Cable (Comcast?) swoops in and steals it away from D* :eek2:

Don't count the larger cable companies out, they now have, or will have, the bandwidth to carry it. The only problem is not all areas of the country can get cable, and not all cable companies have the bandwidth to add it.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Not to mention negotiating with how many systems?
Having a patchwork of carriage here and there across the USA?

This is also part of a strategy. With more and more cable sports channels each wants a shot at the NFL to make them relevant. Despite efforts to compete with ESPN both Versus/NBC Sports Network has been largely shut out of high quality content. They'd love a chance for a NFL game a week to make them relevant. So would new Fox Sports One, and them CBS Sports Network, and on and on. Taking more games to national distribution can work to the NFL's favor. The only constraining item is enough TV windows that don't compete with each other.

#70 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

the NHL season is in-season when the NFL season is going

Except for years in which there are labor disputes ;)

#71 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:30 AM

So the folks that say no NFL-ST on DIRECTV, and lets say only the cable companies pick it up, not Dish or the telcos, you're going to switch to cable? Just wondering if the higher cost that usually comes with cable, plus their HD DVR's, which for the most part are worst then just about anything DIRECTV has, is really something you'd live with?

As a huge NFL fan absolutely yes! I will go to whatever provider has Sunday Ticket. If cost was a consideration I wouldn't sub to ST in the first place.

#72 OFFLINE   Red Dog

Red Dog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

I would switch to FIOS in a heartbeat if they had ST.

Comcrap? If it's exclusive to Comcrap, that would be tough. I'd probably pass on it, but still switch to FIOS and get NFL RZC.

#73 OFFLINE   ccrowe3

ccrowe3

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

shaw / rogers and others use MPEG 4 and or SDV to fit in Sunday Ticket and 9-15+ NHL CI HD feeds.

That would be a pretty simple deal for a cable company. Use MPEG4 and require all Sunday Ticket subscribers to use the newer MPEG4 receivers, which Comcast, for one, has already rolled out in a lot of areas. Bandwidth problem solved.

#74 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

I have always wondered how high D* would go....and it seems that maybe they are reaching their limit

Though, I suspect this is all public pr garbage...and negotiations are going on behind closed doors.

#75 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,656 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

Losing Sunday Ticket would be a bummer but would not be a game changer. I'd still stay with DirecTV.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#76 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

The current TV contracts ( FOX, CBS, NBC, ESPN ) run until 2021, and I can't imagine the 4 networks signed monster deals that far out without assurances of limited ST distribution.

The contracts for cbs,fox,nbc actually end after the 2022 season....just espn ends after 2021.

#77 OFFLINE   saleen351

saleen351

Godfather

• Registered
  • 478 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

To me, i'm not sure innovation really matters in a sports sub. The /main/ goal/priority of a sports sub is to provide the ability for someone to watch full live games of teams that are outside of their market. The RZ does not replace that ability, or come close. The RZ I think is more for the fan who likes to track multiple games, without having a vested fan intrest in them.

If they offered the ability to create your own game mix channel I'd pay an extra 100/year for it... A lot of us would... Game mix is there it's at, RZ imho is fading it's just not the same. The problem is GM is horribly broken... Imagine putting full screen the best 4 games of your choosing on GM, it would be epic!

#78 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

20 years latter-With the advent of smart phones-tablets-Xbox-Play station-Looks like the NFL will be cutting the Cord :)

YEAH!
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#79 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

For me, the worst part about this would be that I'd lose the "Because they have Sunday Ticket and you don't" answer whenever a door to door Cablevision salesman comes to my house. That's the one answer that they don't even try to argue with.

I may have to go back to the "Cablevision sucks and, while the Dolan family is in control they will never get a penny of mine" answer. But they do tend to argue with that one :)

#80 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

For me, the worst part about this would be that I'd lose the "Because they have Sunday Ticket and you don't" answer whenever a door to door Cablevision salesman comes to my house. That's the one answer that they don't even try to argue with.

:lol: :lol: I agree but its for Comcast in my area!!!

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...