Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV could pull plug on NFL Sunday Ticket

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 522 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

No way in hell would Charter be able to offer me what D* can offer when it comes to NFLST. They'd offer it in all SD if they could do that and maybe (and I mean a big maybe) get around to adding HD a year or 2 down the road. That's been my experience with my cable co. over the years so YMMV with yours. No reason to get excited about this yet and I'd be willing to be there won't ever be a reason for concern.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Red Dog

Red Dog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

If they offered the ability to create your own game mix channel I'd pay an extra 100/year for it... A lot of us would... Game mix is there it's at, RZ imho is fading it's just not the same. The problem is GM is horribly broken... Imagine putting full screen the best 4 games of your choosing on GM, it would be epic!

I've argued for that option before. Would be awesome. I love using GM in the 4p window when there's only 4-5 games. I don't bother with it early - the windows are just too small.

#83 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

I'd like the option of buying 1 team's games, but I don't think we'll see that anytime soon.

#84 OFFLINE   prozone1

prozone1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

If DirecTv drops NFL Sunday Ticket, They better get ready to drop me as a Subscriber and my $200.00+ a month bill that i send them every month. Where NFL Ticket Goes is Where I will go. I am a loyal DirecTv Subscriber for Sports & I don't want to switch my service. DirecTv had better Re-Up with the NFL. I had Sunday Ticket pre 1996 on my 10'
C-Band dish and from 96 to present on D

#85 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,438 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

If DirecTv drops NFL Sunday Ticket, They better get ready to drop me as a Subscriber and my $200.00+ a month bill that i send them every month.

I'm sure they'd prepare themselves.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#86 OFFLINE   Microphone

Microphone

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:07 AM

I'd follow ST to U-Verse or even Dish. Cable exclusivity would be a disaster for me. :(

RedZone doesn't do it for me. I want to watch football, not just scoring plays. I really hope this isn't the end of ST.

Take the betting/fantasy element out of the NFL and you will quickly see MLB take back over as #1. It's truly amazing how fascinating a Kansas City/ Cincinnati game can be when someone has some $$$ on the line.

Red Zone is heaven for the bettors at a fraction, if that, of the price.

#87 OFFLINE   myselfalso

myselfalso

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:40 AM

ST isn't going anywhere.

1) It's sabre rattling.

The NFL wants this to be exclusive. D* wants the price to be cheaper. They'll work something out.

2) If they don't, it'll still be on D*.

If the NFL can't get a deal with D*, I don't see them going exclusive with anyone else. It'll be available on most, if not all, major cable providers in addition to D*.
I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 2005.

A few channels I'd still like to see DirecTV add are:
CSPAN3, the PAC-12 Network(s), BBC World and more international news channels.

#88 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:17 AM

Take the betting/fantasy element out of the NFL and you will quickly see MLB take back over as #1. It's truly amazing how fascinating a Kansas City/ Cincinnati game can be when someone has some $$$ on the line.

Red Zone is heaven for the bettors at a fraction, if that, of the price.

MLB is boring, that's why football is king.

#89 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 403 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

Good. I hope the NFL expands distribution. I'm ready for more choices and alternatives.

#90 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 517 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

MLB is boring, that's why football is king.

MLB isn't boring at all at!

#91 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

I guess I'd have to wait and see what actually happens before I can make pronouncements as to what I would do.

Would they drop it altogether or simply lose exclusivity? Obviously I'd stay with DirecTV.

Would it still be available over a PS3 (or PS4)? I'd probably just buy one rather than go through the hassle of switching providers.

Would it be available by internet streaming? Again, I'd stay with DirecTV and just watch online.

It's kind of hard to make definitive plans based on what hasn't happened yet.

Mark Twain once said something to the effect of "I have had a great many worries in my life, most of which never happened."
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#92 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

MLB isn't boring at all at!

Fifteen minutes of excitement packed into three and a half hours. :lol:
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#93 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,438 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

I'm a football fan, but there's a lot more action/activity in a baseball game than a football game. I generally watch both delayed and using ff. I can get through a football game in less than 30 minutes (without missing any action). A baseball game takes me over an hour.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#94 OFFLINE   Rent_Share

Rent_Share

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

Fifteen minutes seconds of excitement packed into three and a half hours. :lol:

Sounds like a date

Dish Slimline-5 WB68 MRV Enabled (Non Supported) Cat 5
HR20-100 - HR21/100 - HR23-700 - Not Networked DSR708 SD

#95 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,209 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

That would be a pretty simple deal for a cable company. Use MPEG4 and require all Sunday Ticket subscribers to use the newer MPEG4 receivers, which Comcast, for one, has already rolled out in a lot of areas. Bandwidth problem solved.

good luck makeing it so the techs and centers have a stock of MPEG 4 boxes that are not mixed with the older MPEG 2 ones.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#96 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,538 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

Ever watch a football game without all the standing around? 20 minutes.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#97 OFFLINE   NFLnut

NFLnut

Icon

• Registered
  • 594 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

If DirecTV loses/gives up NFL-ST, I will probably be a goner. I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 1994 because of NFL-ST. But I am getting real tired of seeing all of the new subs getting free-this/free-that/free-ST and me just getting an increasing bill. I will find whatever provider will give me all of my Redskins games and dump everything else. Probably just go to an antenna and streaming on my HTPC. I am getting real tired of paying $100-something every month for 250-something channels and yet there is almost never anything on!

As to Red Zone .. I don't see how anyone can watch that for more than 5 minutes at a time! Therefore, I don't see how that has become viable competition to Ticket. It's like watching a movie trailer channel instead of actually going to the movie. I want to see every down of the game I'm watching, not some Cliff's Notes version of it.

BTW -- not sure how the hyperlink got inserted on my HTPC reference above, but that link has no significance to my setup.
HDTV: Samsung HL-S7178 DLP to HR24/20 via HDMI
HR20/24 Config: 1080p | Native On | D Digital ON | OTA Active (HR20)| via ethernet cable | Always ON
(1) HR20; (1) HR24
(2) Philips DSR6000 DirecTiVos
HD+SD DVR's to 8 LCDs on Extron matrix switch
Audio: Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver
Dish & Cables: AT9 Dish | four RG-6 to Zinwell WB68 | two RG-6 to HR20 | two RG-6 to upstairs Zinwell 6802 Multiswitch | Rad Shack unidirect antenna in attic
DirecTV since 1995 | NFL-ST since 1995 | TiVo since '00

#98 OFFLINE   NFLnut

NFLnut

Icon

• Registered
  • 594 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

If they offered the ability to create your own game mix channel I'd pay an extra 100/year for it... A lot of us would... Game mix is there it's at, RZ imho is fading it's just not the same. The problem is GM is horribly broken... Imagine putting full screen the best 4 games of your choosing on GM, it would be epic!

Yeah. I agree a custom Game Mix would be pretty cool. I have two HD-DVR's, but my 71" which is awesome otherwise has the lamest PiP setup. I would never use GM for my Skins game which is all I watch when they are playing, but for the second game of the day, it would be pretty awesome to have a custom Game Mix where I could make a pseudo-PiP with two or more games. The current Game Mix as you stated is just unwatchable! 8 or 12 games even on my 71" are tiny and useless! Plus, I really only usually care about 2-3 games at most.
HR20/24 Config: 1080p | Native On | D Digital ON | OTA Active (HR20)| via ethernet cable | Always ON
(1) HR20; (1) HR24
Dish & Cables: AT9 Dish | four RG-6 to Zinwell WB68 | two RG-6 to HR20 | two RG-6 to upstairs Zinwell 6802 Multiswitch | Rad Shack unidirect antenna in attic

#99 OFFLINE   whitewolf8214

whitewolf8214

AllStar

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

If DirecTV loses/gives up NFL-ST, I will probably be a goner. I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 1994 because of NFL-ST. But I am getting real tired of seeing all of the new subs getting free-this/free-that/free-ST and me just getting an increasing bill. I will find whatever provider will give me all of my Redskins games and dump everything else. Probably just go to an antenna and streaming on my HTPC. I am getting real tired of paying $100-something every month for 250-something channels and yet there is almost never anything on!

As to Red Zone .. I don't see how anyone can watch that for more than 5 minutes at a time! Therefore, I don't see how that has become viable competition to Ticket. It's like watching a movie trailer channel instead of actually going to the movie. I want to see every down of the game I'm watching, not some Cliff's Notes version of it.

BTW -- not sure how the hyperlink got inserted on my HTPC reference above, but that link has no significance to my setup.

Same here Directv loses it I am gone but I believe it is sabre rattling to get a better deal and I believe it will stay with Directv :)

#100 OFFLINE   NFLnut

NFLnut

Icon

• Registered
  • 594 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

Same here Directv loses it I am gone but I believe it is sabre rattling to get a better deal and I believe it will stay with Directv :)

Yep. I forgot to mention that I believe that it is just DirecTV posturing to make a better deal. IMO, they would be pretty stupid to lose ST as long as the price doesn't get so high it bankrupts them to do it.
(1) HR20; (1) HR24

Protected By... spam firewall...And...