Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV could pull plug on NFL Sunday Ticket

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

i hope microsoft's Xbox division buys it and transmits all games on xbox live

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,995 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

20 years latter-With the advent of smart phones-tablets-Xbox-Play station-Looks like the NFL will be cutting the Cord :)

YEAH!

Yup!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#103 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 724 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

20 years latter-With the advent of smart phones-tablets-Xbox-Play station-Looks like the NFL will be cutting the Cord :)

YEAH!

And of those you mention, the only one that NFL ST is NOT available on is Xbox.
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#104 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 724 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

If DirecTV loses/gives up NFL-ST, I will probably be a goner. I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 1994 because of NFL-ST. But I am getting real tired of seeing all of the new subs getting free-this/free-that/free-ST and me just getting an increasing bill. I will find whatever provider will give me all of my Redskins games and dump everything else. Probably just go to an antenna and streaming on my HTPC. I am getting real tired of paying $100-something every month for 250-something channels and yet there is almost never anything on!

As to Red Zone .. I don't see how anyone can watch that for more than 5 minutes at a time! Therefore, I don't see how that has become viable competition to Ticket. It's like watching a movie trailer channel instead of actually going to the movie. I want to see every down of the game I'm watching, not some Cliff's Notes version of it.

BTW -- not sure how the hyperlink got inserted on my HTPC reference above, but that link has no significance to my setup.

For me, I'm watching Red Zone on my main 55" screen, and then jumping from game to game on my iPad. Yeah, it's a bit geeky. But I am a geek so...:D
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#105 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

Ever watch a football game without all the standing around? 20 minutes.

Actually it takes me around an hour. I hit the 30 second skip right at the whistle and unless the offense is running a no huddle that takes me right up to the next snap. Skipping commercials, halftime and replay reviews is a given.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#106 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,080 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

Actually it takes me around an hour. I hit the 30 second skip right at the whistle and unless the offense is running a no huddle that takes me right up to the next snap. Skipping commercials, halftime and replay reviews is a given.

Try the shortcuts. 20 minutes.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#107 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,426 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

Try the shortcuts. 20 minutes.

Correct. I read an article on it last fall where the actual playing time in a NFL game is around 18 minutes.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#108 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,080 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

Correct. I read an article on it last fall where the actual playing time in a NFL game is around 18 minutes.

What people don't get about baseball is that the "action" is not just the pitch, swing, etc. the action starts with the pitcher on the rubber, especially with a runner on base. Football is between the snap and the whistle, period.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#109 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

MLB is boring, that's why football is king.

NFL can be followed by idiots. I mean how is it you run an 8 second play then take a minute of rest. Go watch a rugby match they are REAL men. And hockey players are hit harder and sent wimps like football players. When the last time you had a fight in a NFL game and the guys weren't thrown out. NHL players go back get ten stitches plus spit out there teeth that they lost and come right back out. NFL players would be done for the season if they had that happen to them.
Hr34-700 living room
C31-700 bedroom
H23-600 family room

#110 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,426 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

What people don't get about baseball is that the "action" is not just the pitch, swing, etc. the action starts with the pitcher on the rubber, especially with a runner on base. Football is between the snap and the whistle, period.

Exactly. The most interesting parts about baseball are the things most people skip over - what pitch is the catcher calling for (and why), what pitch does the pitcher want, how are the defenders positioned for a certain batter/scenario, etc. I love all that stuff

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#111 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

ST isn't going anywhere.

1) It's sabre rattling.

The NFL wants this to be exclusive. D* wants the price to be cheaper. They'll work something out.

2) If they don't, it'll still be on D*.

If the NFL can't get a deal with D*, I don't see them going exclusive with anyone else. It'll be available on most, if not all, major cable providers in addition to D*.

I think you are most correct.

This is not a simple negotiation for either side. The NFL could keep the price high but give DIRECTV more ad sales. The NFL could hold the price for a year or two--then continue to increase it. Or the NFL could move to a true PPV model instead. All would be interesting changes.

Couple of points to other posts (including Mike Florio): NFL ST was on C-band before DIRECTV. I waited as long as I could but DIRECTV hadn't announced NFL ST by the time the season started. So I was a BUD owner for 4 years before I moved.

NFL ST was a profit center all by itself. General subscribers did not subsidize NFL ST--at least up until fairly recently. Between NFL ST subs, bars, and ad sales DIRECTV was making money directly.

No single cable company will become an exclusive home to NFL ST. It will have to be a consortium agreement or non-exclusive agreement. Dish or DIRECTV are the only national resource that could hold an exclusive arrangement...unless...

Someone pulls the same trick that Fox did and starts a new satellite company around the NFL ST and gets bandwidth REAL fast. :) Would be VERY expensive and I don't know if a 3rd satellite provider would work.

I don't think NFL ST is leaving DIRECTV. Nor do I think it will be available to others. But it will be very interesting around the negotiating table... :)

Peace,
Tom
Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#112 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,658 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

I don't know if a 3rd satellite provider would work.

It was tried and it failed.

#113 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

It was tried and it failed.

A couple times even. But the NFL ST is a game changer--at a huge cost.

In my mind, very unlikely. And I'm not gonna tell that to NBC and CBS when Fox took the NFC games away... :)

Peace,
Tom
Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#114 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

NFL can be followed by idiots. I mean how is it you run an 8 second play then take a minute of rest. Go watch a rugby match they are REAL men. And hockey players are hit harder and sent wimps like football players. When the last time you had a fight in a NFL game and the guys weren't thrown out. NHL players go back get ten stitches plus spit out there teeth that they lost and come right back out. NFL players would be done for the season if they had that happen to them.

Your first line is a little harsh. Love football, baseball and hockey for different reasons and can appreciate the best parts of each.

#115 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,080 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

Your first line is a little harsh. Love football, baseball and hockey for different reasons and can appreciate the best parts of each.

This.

#116 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,733 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

Hmmm. Haven't seen harsh in this thread....? :confused:

With a very few exceptions, all sports can be entertaining, even mesmerizing, if you know what you're watching, and not just the name of the game.

OK: Poker is not a sport. Discuss amongst yourselves...... [/SNL]
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#117 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

I like the NFL in fact I will more than likely be getting nflst. However the people on TV and some on here say that they hit harder than any other sport, also NFL people think the NFL is the biggest sport in the world. Well sorry to bust there bubble but soccer is.
The reason I like rugby is it is non stop for 2 - 40 minute periods. If football was hurry up all game long and say the clock would read 10seconds after a play how many more plays would you see. Not to mention not getting timeouts during the game.
Hr34-700 living room
C31-700 bedroom
H23-600 family room

#118 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

I like the NFL in fact I will more than likely be getting nflst. However the people on TV and some on here say that they hit harder than any other sport, also NFL people think the NFL is the biggest sport in the world. Well sorry to bust there bubble but soccer is.
The reason I like rugby is it is non stop for 2 - 40 minute periods. If football was hurry up all game long and say the clock would read 10seconds after a play how many more plays would you see. Not to mention not getting timeouts during the game.

The last I heard, bass fishing beats all other sports. I scratch my head at that one, but could be true...

The problem with the NHL is they can't decide if they want to be boxing on ice or real hockey as played at nearly every other level. I'd like hockey. I'm not interested in boxing. :)

Peace,
Tom
Go Packers!

#119 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

I think you are most correct.

This is not a simple negotiation for either side. The NFL could keep the price high but give DIRECTV more ad sales. The NFL could hold the price for a year or two--then continue to increase it. Or the NFL could move to a true PPV model instead. All would be interesting changes.

Couple of points to other posts (including Mike Florio): NFL ST was on C-band before DIRECTV. I waited as long as I could but DIRECTV hadn't announced NFL ST by the time the season started. So I was a BUD owner for 4 years before I moved.

NFL ST was a profit center all by itself. General subscribers did not subsidize NFL ST--at least up until fairly recently. Between NFL ST subs, bars, and ad sales DIRECTV was making money directly.

No single cable company will become an exclusive home to NFL ST. It will have to be a consortium agreement or non-exclusive agreement. Dish or DIRECTV are the only national resource that could hold an exclusive arrangement...unless...

Someone pulls the same trick that Fox did and starts a new satellite company around the NFL ST and gets bandwidth REAL fast. :) Would be VERY expensive and I don't know if a 3rd satellite provider would work.

I don't think NFL ST is leaving DIRECTV. Nor do I think it will be available to others. But it will be very interesting around the negotiating table... :)

Peace,
Tom

This may also be pressure on legal side to end the exclusive arrangement.

Now days cable can put local ad's over the feeds some that was not really do able back the last bid they made.

At the extreme lets say there is a join directv / cable deal where directv get's the missing cable only RSN channels and comcast and others get the rights to have NFL ticket. How much of the background work does directv do for NFL ST?? I head some say that ad's on rogers cable (canada) for it say only on directv in the fine print.

Hard to see us cable system (in most areas) with out some major changes get into the bars or do all games in HD (in most of there foot print) with out messing it up in some way. But then again this may be the kick in the pants that cable needs to get the out market sports HD and even in some places all in market feeds SD and HD feeds. (some cable system only have outer rings in SD / not all feeds or only have the main feed in HD and are missing alt / over feeds in HD even in the main market areas)

Also very few cable system have all the big ten alt feeds in HD.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#120 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,733 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

The last I heard, bass fishing beats all other sports. I scratch my head at that one, but could be true...

The problem with the NHL is they can't decide if they want to be boxing on ice or real hockey as played at nearly every other level. I'd like hockey. I'm not interested in boxing. :)

Bass Fishing is one thing. Watching people bass fish is entirely a different kettle of .........

Watched the Sharks play the Blues this afternoon; nary a fight that I saw. (I did skip a few minutes here and there.) At least hockey fights are pretty real, unlike the Baseball toffs.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall