Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV could pull plug on NFL Sunday Ticket

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

This may also be pressure on legal side to end the exclusive arrangement.

Now days cable can put local ad's over the feeds some that was not really do able back the last bid they made.

At the extreme lets say there is a join directv / cable deal where directv get's the missing cable only RSN channels and comcast and others get the rights to have NFL ticket. How much of the background work does directv do for NFL ST?? I head some say that ad's on rogers cable (canada) for it say only on directv in the fine print.

Hard to see us cable system (in most areas) with out some major changes get into the bars or do all games in HD (in most of there foot print) with out messing it up in some way. But then again this may be the kick in the pants that cable needs to get the out market sports HD and even in some places all in market feeds SD and HD feeds. (some cable system only have outer rings in SD / not all feeds or only have the main feed in HD and are missing alt / over feeds in HD even in the main market areas)

Also very few cable system have all the big ten alt feeds in HD.

One important detail...cable systems have been placing local ads for decades. Back in the 80s you could hear the tones that told the local cable when to start/stop ads.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

One important detail...cable systems have been placing local ads for decades. Back in the 80s you could hear the tones that told the local cable when to start/stop ads.

Peace,
Tom

http://sports.espn.g...terbrook/071030

I think the local channels wanted the local OTA ad's put on top of the NFL ST feeds and even to day I don't think the IN demand feeds are setup for to let that happen and for NFL ST I think they are RAW feeds or feeds that don't have the cable tones in them they may have OTA ones of it's more manual.

Also there is the issues of blackout at the head end level (cable) vs BOX (dtv)
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#123 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:17 PM

I'm no soothsayer in any sense of the word, but I honestly believe that even if the NFL decides to expand distribution, this new position would in no way affect their negotiating position with the networks for regional coverage. The NFL will always be a premium product, especially considering the black-out rules.

So believe what you want, if the NFL can get double what DirecTV is paying from multiple broadcasters, I think they would take it. I would.

And, yes, I would leave a DirecTV if given a choice. The NFL cannot lose, DirecTV knows this no matter what happens.

Edited by Bambler, 09 March 2013 - 11:24 PM.

#124 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

Ever watch a football game without all the standing around? 20 minutes.

I do it all the time.

#125 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

NFL can be followed by idiots. I mean how is it you run an 8 second play then take a minute of rest. Go watch a rugby match they are REAL men. And hockey players are hit harder and sent wimps like football players. When the last time you had a fight in a NFL game and the guys weren't thrown out. NHL players go back get ten stitches plus spit out there teeth that they lost and come right back out. NFL players would be done for the season if they had that happen to them.

And the TV ratings for those sports?

#126 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,635 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

And the TV ratings for those sports?

TV ratings made Snookie a star.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#127 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

I'll give him that but I agree,NFL football is getting soft compared to other sports, It was not like that in the 70's and 80's, same with NBA when lakers and celtics were going at each other or bulls and pistons were playing physical at each other, nowadays you'll get ejected and worst fined, and for football you'll get flagged for being too physical or rough, ain't that what the sport is about.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#128 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 546 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

I'll give him that but I agree,NFL football is getting soft compared to other sports, It was not like that in the 70's and 80's, same with NBA when lakers and celtics were going at each other or bulls and pistons were playing physical at each other, nowadays you'll get ejected and worst fined, and for football you'll get flagged for being too physical or rough, ain't that what the sport is about.

Concussions are a big deal with football and rightly so. Leading with the helmet is how these guys tackle now instead of using their body. Joe Paterno once said something about helmets. Something to the effect of take their face masks off and see how often they lead with them. I gotta agree with that. You can still have an exciting sport all the while be somewhat safe about it.

#129 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,763 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

for football you'll get flagged for being too physical or rough, ain't that what the sport is about.

Or for celebrating a touchdown in the end zone. :rolleyes:

#130 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

If you can't stand the heat get the hell out of the kitchen, but I understand what your saying. NBA= No Boys Allowed NFL=Not For Losers:)

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#131 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

The same with soccer so many players flop or acts and tumble with pain just so the other player can get a yellow card, Some are legitimate fouls others just fall with a slight touch. And players fall for no reason grabbing their legs like they have a cramp just to waste time, if the score is in their favor.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#132 OFFLINE   noahproblem

noahproblem

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

TV ratings made Snookie a star.

Even scarier, Honey Boo Boo :eek2:

Anyway, :backtotop, there's still a lot of time to sort this out - I'm in the "just sabre-rattling" camp on this one, for now.

#133 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

If you can't stand the heat get the hell out of the kitchen, but I understand what your saying. NBA= No Boys Allowed NFL=Not For Losers:)

Take any of your NBA - NFL players and have them get hit as hard as hockey players. Hockey players get teeth knocked out and stay in the game.
NFL players get TURF toe and are out WEEKS if not Months.

Here is some proof NBA NFL are not even in the top 5
http://bleacherrepor...-toughest-sport

Edited by donalddickerson2005, 10 March 2013 - 11:54 AM.

Hr34-700 living room
C31-700 bedroom
H23-600 family room

#134 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,026 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

Take any of your NBA - NFL players and have them get hit as hard as hockey players. Hockey players get teeth knocked out and stay in the game.

Apparently you're unaware how severe and painful turf toe is. It's a minimum of 3 weeks to heal and it must heal completely because reinjuring isn't good.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#135 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

Apparently you're unaware how severe and painful turf toe is. It's a minimum of 3 weeks to heal and it must heal completely because reinjuring isn't good.

OK and tell me again when a NFL player ever got 15 stitches like nhl players and then went right back out and played another down. Oh wait never happened. I am a big football fan but I understand that football players are not near the toughest. In fact next Saturday since you have DirecTV turn on a rugby match and see what real men do. Or tonight turn on a NHL game. And if after that come and tell me that football players are tough.
Hr34-700 living room
C31-700 bedroom
H23-600 family room

#136 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,635 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

OK and tell me again when a NFL player ever got 15 stitches like nhl players and then went right back out and played another down. Oh wait never happened. I am a big football fan but I understand that football players are not near the toughest. In fact next Saturday since you have DirecTV turn on a rugby match and see what real men do. Or tonight turn on a NHL game. And if after that come and tell me that football players are tough.

Different sports have different demands. Depends on where the stitches are and if they would put a burden on a part of the player's body needed for play. Different injuries even mean different things even in the same position. A hand injury is important to a running back or quarterback but not as much to a lineman. A soccer player can play with a broken hand while I don't want a hockey or soccer goalie doing the same. Doesn't mean the soccer player is tougher than a hockey player.

And I've seen a football player sent to a hospital and come back and play.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#137 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,026 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

I'm not sure where you think I was debating who's tougher. You simply made an ignorant statement about turf toe.

I'm very familiar with rugby; it's an amazing sport. It's not fair to try and compare it to football because the athletes are different on a few aspects. Rugby guys are all typically the same size; yes there's a few freaks. Football guys very a lot depending on position; O-lineman are around 6'6" 350, many corners crack the 200 pound mark. Conditioning and training is completely different, too. Rugby guys have superior endurance, but many lack explosive speed; not very many are running 4.3 40s, but they'd definitely win running a mile.

As for hockey, common sense and physics are why they hit so hard. Skating is faster than running, so force will be greater. Again, hockey guys are typically bread and trained differently.

Every elite sport is different and it's not fair to compare something like tough. Come to think of it, aren't boxers, MMA guys, Muay Thai fighters, etc the toughest? They beat the crap out of each other and have superior cardio.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#138 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

I know that times change when it comes to deciding calls played, NBA for example have to penalize big fines for igniting fights and get ejected, same with football for helmet to helmet colliding when the player is injured in the process, But you gotta understand this is competition and there's gonna be hard-nosed hits mainly for trash talking but that's what's exciting about the game. I know they have to lookout for their players too, but play it how is meant to be played not just rely everything to the referee.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#139 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

15 stitches? have you not seen the old school football? They didn't bother with stitches--they kept playing. :)

Or Ronnie Lott, who had his finger tip removed between plays.

Obviously you poo-poo the NFL, and to a certain extent the NFL is trying to be mindful of health and safety. Yet...

When was the last time a rugby player got speared by a helmut occupied by someone weighing 350 pounds and could run a 4.4 40? There is some serious momentum under that very hard plastic.

In my mind all the elite athletes in their sports are incredibly tough people. Some more mental than physical, some are a balanced. Race car drivers, often kidded about just "pull the wheel to the left and push the pedal all day" are also very tough. Tremendous concentration for 2-5 hours, plus pulling that wheel ain't easy at 200 mph.

Nor do I confuse visciousness with toughness. But that's for another post.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#140 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

Here is some proof NBA NFL are not even in the top 5
http://bleacherrepor...-toughest-sport

That report appears to be very ignorant of the NFL. And probably all the sports the author hasn't personally played in.

At the top level, they all require much more skill than he credits, much more endurance than imagined. The NFL requires an explosive endurance as opposed to a steady endurance like cycling, race driving, etc.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...