Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dish Question - What should i do?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

While certainly a workable solution, particularly when used with good and proper splitters for the job like the Skywalker ones, I thought that nevertheless DIRECTV does not support "this type" of splitting to parallel two SWiM multiswitches nowadays?

They'll only accept the E2 port expander solution for such custom install needs like here;
http://www.solidsign...ku=609465599052

But then again perhaps they are an HSP company doing this without following DIRECTV's strict guidelines for techs hired directly by them.

It is Expensive, the E2...

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,162 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

It is Expensive, the E2...

It only makes "some sense" when you don't have a lot of space.
A.K.A VOS

#28 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,713 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

Yea ... I know, don't rub it in. :) :o

Its the cascading off the legacy ports that's out of bounds for DIRECTV as I explained in my previous post.

#29 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,162 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

Yea ... I know, don't rub it in. :) :o

Its the cascading off the legacy ports that's out of bounds for DIRECTV as I explained in my previous post.

"But" with a SWiM-32 cascading [once] is approved.
The legacy ports of the -16 are around 10 dB lower.
A.K.A VOS

#30 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,713 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

"But" with a SWiM-32 cascading [once] is approved.
The legacy ports of the -16 are around 10 dB lower.

Wonder what the cascade drop is on the SWiM-32 then ...

#31 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

Less than a SWiM 64 ??

:D

#32 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,162 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

About 1 dB.
The -32 is made by a different manufacturer than the -16.
Since it has to feed four SWiM sections, it looks like it may have an amp in the input stage, as it also has a lower max input level [around -25 dBm].
A.K.A VOS

#33 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 387 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

Time to update your "thoughts":
Posted Image

That's exactly how its hooked up, even with skywalkers.. looks like we had a senior tech that knows his stuff....

Only question i have is with that setup, say a year from now they decide to move, use movers connection and when gathering up there boxes take the PI with them thinking they need it.. Will i then have issues? My understanding it it wont matter.. but, if it would it is possible to have the PI's located in the basement hooked to a common outlet that way nobody looses tv.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#34 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,162 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

That's exactly how its hooked up, even with skywalkers.. looks like we had a senior tech that knows his stuff....

Only question i have is with that setup, say a year from now they decide to move, use movers connection and when gathering up there boxes take the PI with them thinking they need it.. Will i then have issues? My understanding it it wont matter.. but, if it would it is possible to have the PI's located in the basement hooked to a common outlet that way nobody looses tv.

The beauty of this setup is power can be removed from either SWiM-16, and not affect the other.
A.K.A VOS

#35 OFFLINE   b52pooh

b52pooh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

Only one comment to make. In the future, if a service call is required to align the dish, or repair connectors in the dish, who pays for it? Upstairs or downstairs?

#36 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

Only one comment to make. In the future, if a service call is required to align the dish, or repair connectors in the dish, who pays for it? Upstairs or downstairs?

Who will call :).

#37 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,794 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

Only question i have is with that setup, say a year from now they decide to move, use movers connection and when gathering up there boxes take the PI with them thinking they need it.. Will i then have issues?

That's why the power passing splitters were necessary. Either SWM-16 can control the dish, regardless of whether the other SWM-16 is powered on (or is even installed) or not.

If regular green label splitters were used, the your concern would be a valid one.

I'm glad that this situation was successfully handled to everyone's satisfaction. It would suck to be in a feud with your neighbors over TV reception.

#38 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,713 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

That's why the power passing splitters were necessary. Either SWM-16 can control the dish, regardless of whether the other SWM-16 is powered on (or is even installed) or not.

If regular green label splitters were used, the your concern would be a valid one.

I'm glad that this situation was successfully handled to everyone's satisfaction. It would suck to be in a feud with your neighbors over TV reception.

And if Solid Signal's description of the E2 expander is correct (note descriptions in red), then I guess its good it wasn't used since it would essentially suffer the same drawback as using single port power passing splitters.

The signals from a DIRECTV® (4) polarity SLSP-F SlimLine® dish with SL5 LNB, DTV66E 95º dish and a possible 6th polarity are required for (2) SWM8 or SWM16 switches.

The vertical connectors with red inserts are the dish inputs.

The SWM connecting to the top horizontal connectors powers the LNBs. The bottom SWM is inverted to match the color coded switch to splitter polarities.

The expander can be used with (2) SWM8 switches, (2) SWM16 switches or (1) SWM8 and (1) SWM16.

Model PS-242000A power inserter is required for powering each SWM switch.

One SWM switch passes power for powering the DIRECTV® (4) polarity SLSP-F SlimLine® dish and SL5 LNB, DTV66E 95º dish.

Indoor SWM8 and SWM16 expander with quick disconnect connectors and optional external powering.

CATV / Ka/Ku bandwidth ........................... 2 to 2150 MHz
High Isolation adjacent input ............................... >35 dB
DC passing .........................................(1) Output to Input
DC blocking .................................. (2 nd) Output to Input

Outdoor case .............. (2) 10 AWG Green Ground screws
Model SD SWM-E2 splits a SlimLine® dish with SL5 LNB, and DTV66E 95º dish to (2) SWM8 or SW16 switches.

http://www.solidsign...ku=609465599052

Edited by HoTat2, 08 March 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#39 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,162 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

And if Solid Signal's description of the E2 expander is correct (note descriptions in red), then I guess its good it wasn't used since it would essentially suffer the same drawback as using signal port power passing splitters.

One thing you might notice is there isn't any DirecTV logo, or mention of DirecTV approved with this item. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#40 OFFLINE   ts7

ts7

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:31 AM

Read post number 15.

Samrs, sorry if you took offense at my post. I was referring to anyone that deviates from the guidelines/rules as a matter of practice whether it is a HSP, DirecTV employee, an electrician, the landlord, etc.

Edited by ts7, 09 March 2013 - 03:37 AM.

#41 OFFLINE   Grydlok

Grydlok

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

Hah that was the best thing that could have happened.
Hypocrites with fake rumors need not apply.

#42 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 387 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

I glad it worked out the way it did and that it does not matter if the other tenants cut power. We have been here since November of 2010. Since we have been here, we have had a change in neighbors every 3-6 months usually in the middle of the night..lol The last guy that was there was the longest (pushing 7 months) then he passed away. I guess you could blame it on the current state of the economy and people just cant afford stuff but i still find it rude to just move out in the middle of the night rather than leaving the landlord with a heads up.. Then again if i was that hard up i would not have Directv either...

Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#43 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 387 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

Just a quick question to add to this.... when the installer was putting in the SWM 16's he told me that i HAD to have a line going from the PWR port to the PI. that left me with a line though my bedroom window. Could i not run the PI though the line that goes to the red port and run all 16 tuners? that's the way the SWM 8 was installed.

Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#44 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,162 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

Just a quick question to add to this.... when the installer was putting in the SWM 16's he told me that i HAD to have a line going from the PWR port to the PI. that left me with a line though my bedroom window. Could i not run the PI though the line that goes to the red port and run all 16 tuners? that's the way the SWM 8 was installed.

The -16 can be powered two ways:
1) the PWR connector
2) output #1 marked as SWM PWR
Output #2 can't power the -16
A.K.A VOS

#45 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 387 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

that's what i needed to know.. now i can get this stupid wire out of mt window.

Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#46 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

move PI and make PI insertion with a cable what is connecting to outport#1

#47 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,713 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

And that's actually what the SWM #1/PWR combo port is really designed for. For cases of mounting the all weather capable SWiM-16 multiswitch outside while keeping the "non-weather" capable PI protected indoors somewhere.

#48 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 387 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

And that's actually what the SWM #1/PWR combo port is really designed for. For cases of mounting the all weather capable SWiM-16 multiswitch outside while keeping the "non-weather" capable PI protected indoors somewhere.

That's what i thought but this installer insisted that the only way to power the SWM was though the middle "pwr" port. he also claimed that it was the only way supported by directv. I knew he was full of himself but, i thought it just be easier to do it his way and fix it later.

Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#49 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,162 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

That's what i thought but this installer insisted that the only way to power the SWM was though the middle "pwr" port. he also claimed that it was the only way supported by directv. I knew he was full of himself but, i thought it just be easier to do it his way and fix it later.

He might have gotten burned before.
If the PI is too close to the SWiM, it may cause problems.
This was the case with the SWM8, where there either needed to be a splitter between the SWM8 and PI or at least 15' of coax.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...