Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cable question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Calvin386

Calvin386

Godfather

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:46 AM

Can I convert the the red, white and yellow RCA jacks on the back of my hopper to coax I order to send signal to a small TV in my gym. I looked on MonoPrice but couldn't find anything.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:05 AM

"Back in the day" (and by that I mean C-band, 10' Big Ugly Dish days), I used to have a device that 'injected' whatever my satellite box was showing onto "Channel 14" and that was distributed through the whole house as if it came from the roof antenna.

Once I went to the Dishplayer 7100, I needed to use a wireless RF repeater since it didn't have an RF remote (it was IR). For a while I used a device that also transmitted the TV signal wirelessly but that didn't work too well.

Though things have gone HD and I no longer need that functionality (I have 2 hoppers and 3 joeys), I *did* find the following devices available on Amazon that might serve your need:

http://www.amazon.co...reless repeater

You can buy additional receivers:

http://www.amazon.co...d_bxgy_e_text_y

#3 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

You just need an RF modulator...something like this:

http://www.radioshac...oductId=2103095

I used an old version of this to do exactly what you want with my 722 after its coax out died.
Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, Joey x2

#4 OFFLINE   bjb236

bjb236

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

I recently did the same thing after our Hopper install this past weekend. I used these off Amazon for pretty cheap.

http://www.amazon.co...uct/B0014KKV7W/

#5 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

If you already have OTA to the TV, you can 'inject' the modulator output onto that line by using a high frequency 2 way splitter. (The 'common' goes to the TV, the two split ports go to the antenna and the modulator. I have much better results using the high frequency splitters (2400MHz) as combiners than I do with the 900 or 1000 Mhz units)

Set the modulator to air, not cable, and adjust for a channel well away from any OTA in use, and recall the advertised channel # usually isn't the transmit channel anymore.

I like to allow 2 and preferably 3 channels clearance, and I also like being higher than the highest OTA in use if possible.

If you try this with D* HD receiver, you will need a component to composite adapter, around $50 on Monoprice. Works fine lasts a long time.

#6 OFFLINE   Calvin386

Calvin386

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Thanks guys...That's exactly what I was looking for.

#7 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

Can I convert the the red, white and yellow RCA jacks on the back of my hopper to coax I order to send signal to a small TV in my gym. I looked on MonoPrice but couldn't find anything.

Thanks

Get a Joey then you can use the coax output on the Hopper for that 2nd TV.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...