Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App for Android Tablets v1.1.3: Initial Release Discussion

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   wjanowski

wjanowski

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

After all this wait I can't believe they won't support the Nexus 7.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

Sideloaded works fine on my B&N Nook color which is running rooted with android 4.1.2.

If even this old device with 800mhz cpu can handle the video playback using non official video drivers than just about any Android tablet should be able to handle it other than dpi issues. Maybe with a little more dev they will gain some confidence and do a more general release.

Edited by rahlquist, 08 March 2013 - 12:58 PM.
Opinion

#53 OFFLINE   wjanowski

wjanowski

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

OK, grabbed the apk from xda-developers and it seems to load OK on my Nexus 7. Dan Patrick Show streaming in crystal clear HD, will have to wait till I get home to check out the other channels. Seems like a great app but an asinine attitude towards 7-inch tablets.

#54 OFFLINE   p010ne

p010ne

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts
  • Locationdecatur, tx

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

:confused: Not certain what I did but I enabled streaming, which works just fine on my Motorola Xoom wifi, and now currently watching works. :P
Eighter from Decatur, County Seat of Wise (of course it's in Texas)

#55 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,324 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

http://bit.ly/VPY6SD

Thanks for the link. I sideloaded it and the app appears to work just fine on my Nook Color (CM10/4.1.2).

Is there a way to enable streaming?

Edited by bobnielsen, 08 March 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#56 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,426 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

A word of warning: Be very careful in messing with the dpi settings in your device. Thar be dragons. Set at your own risk.

HEY!

#57 OFFLINE   Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

Is there a way to enable streaming?

yes, I finally figured it out, it is not intuitive. On the Home screen scroll the screen left and you will get the Customize Layout and Content Screen. Hit the plus button for a new screen. On add a module, add the Live TV Streaming module. Go back to the home screen and stream. There are quite a few channels to stream.

update: I just counted 53 channels to stream. This probably varies according to your package. I have the Entertainment package.

Edited by Lazy Senior, 08 March 2013 - 04:58 PM.

• gregchak likes this

#58 OFFLINE   Grydlok

Grydlok

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

This app is incompatible with all of your devices.
Asus Nexus 7
This item is not compatible with your device.
Samsung GT-P3113
This item is not compatible with your device.
My T4
This item is not compatible with your device
Hypocrites with fake rumors need not apply.

#59 OFFLINE   jimcummings

jimcummings

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

Works fine on my Kindle Fire Hd 8.2.

#60 OFFLINE   lincolnnellie

lincolnnellie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

The beauty of Android, just sideload it. Turn on unknown sources, download this link and install. Works great on my Nexus 7.

http://d-h.st/WQI

#61 OFFLINE   epifano83

epifano83

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

The beauty of Android, just sideload it. Turn on unknown sources, download this link and install. Works great on my Nexus 7.

http://d-h.st/WQI

This app is also working fine and dandy with my Nexus 7 as well. :D
(1) ODU AU9+SWM (1) DIRECTV SWS-8 Satellite 8-Way Wide Band MRV Compatible Splitter (2 -2150 MHz)(2)R16-500 (1)R16-300 (1)HR23-700 + DECA(1)HR22-100 + DECA (1)Deca BB (1) H24-100

#62 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,324 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

yes, I finally figured it out, it is not intuitive. On the Home screen scroll the screen left and you will get the Customize Layout and Content Screen. Hit the plus button for a new screen. On add a module, add the Live TV Streaming module. Go back to the home screen and stream. There are quite a few channels to stream.

update: I just counted 53 channels to stream. This probably varies according to your package. I have the Entertainment package.

Definitely not intuitive! Thanks.

#63 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,416 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

Having gone through it for about 2-3 minutes...I found it exceptionally intuitive.

It all comes down to taking a short amount of time to go thorugh the setup/configuration options, and then the rest was quite easy to understand.

Then again...I work with mobile apps all the time.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#64 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,426 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

Working fine on my TF201. I'm just sad that the on demand stuff (HBO, Etc.) is missing from it.

#65 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,416 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

Working fine on my TF201. I'm just sad that the on demand stuff (HBO, Etc.) is missing from it.

Maybe they'll add that in a future update.

#66 OFFLINE   jimmy_27320

jimmy_27320

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

This app is also working fine and dandy with my Nexus 7 as well. :D

Can a moderator confirm this sideload is safe?

Edited by jimmy_27320, 08 March 2013 - 07:12 PM.

#67 OFFLINE   Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

Maybe they'll add that in a future update.

I doubt they will add HBO streaming. Why do it? HBOGO is already available for DTV subs. HBOGO is already an excellent app.

#68 OFFLINE   Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:42 PM

Can a moderator confirm this sideload is safe?

Sideloads are never 100% safe. You take your chances....

#69 OFFLINE   kymikes

kymikes

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

Found an issue with the initial release. After loading the software on a Motorola Xoom, one of the first things I found was that list of receivers was incomplete. I have 6 active boxes (H21-100, H21-200, H25-500, 2 HR21-700 & HR34-700) but the list on the "Select Your Receiver" did not list the HR34. I checked my DirecTV account and all boxes were there. I tried changing Location names of a few receivers and these changes were reflected in the android app. I then selected circle with an arrow head thinking that this would "refresh" the receiver list. Did not seem to do anything. The last receiver listed (5th) was listed in a room (LIVING ROOM) that had a red button (could not access on network) and after selecting this one, I got to a screen with an empty IP address. I put in the IP addr of the HR34 and this refreshed the whole list and I had 6 receivers listed and they all matched the info in my DirecTV acct. Don't know if the circle with the arrowhead is supposed to refresh the list or not but it doesn't appear that it does. I presume that this is the correct forum to report this.

Edit: Sideloaded on Nexus 7 and found a similiar Issue. It initially only showed 4 of my 6 receivers in the Select Receiver button. 2 of them had the red button and after I supplied the IP addr it now showed 5 of the six (the box labeled Office was still missing). What is odd is the DVR missing in the Select Receiver shows up when you get to the list of DVR's to select to record to. It clearly has the DVR in it's table of devices but doesn't show up. FYI.

Edited by kymikes, 10 March 2013 - 02:35 PM.
more info & typo

#70 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

Sideloads are never 100% safe. You take your chances....

pfft! you take a bigger chance rooting your tablet with whatever flavor O/S you have to try and get google play and whatever else to work..

Places like 3 other sites I visit --> let you at least DL & try the apk files if they work HOORAY if not SO be it..if it weren't for those wonderful sites on my kindle fire HD 7 I'd be denied..just gimme the apk and I'll try it!! heh..it works or it does not..plain & simple..

BING
Google Chrome
Dolphin Browser !! (you kidding? think i'm gonna use Silk? HAH!)
Dropbox
FireFox : Mozilla
Google Search
Google Calendar
Google Maps (yes it works via Wi fi, just not turn by turn that u need gps for)
Hotmail
Instagram
NOOK
NFL Mobile
NY Times (free version)
Y! Mail
YouTube

all of these shouldn't exist on a Kindle !!

and a couple of top video players not in the Amazon Store either..
as well as some games :)

In the short time I've had android, never have I seen an O/S segregate ITSELF on what you can or cannot play..feels like if I order a pizza pie the baker takes away 2 slices and says I cannot have them but I can have the rest of the pie..silly

and by the way the Direct TV tablet app doesn't work on Kindle Fire HD 7 via 4.0 ICS..non rooted tablet..install of the APK works but it crashes when you launch it

Edited by Santi360HD, 14 March 2013 - 02:37 PM.

#71 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 790 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

Works great on my Nexus 10. Is there anyway to get On-Demand stuff to play on it?
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#72 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:37 AM

Is this the nomad app that's been coming soon for over a year?

#73 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,416 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:25 AM

Is this the nomad app that's been coming soon for over a year?

No.

It's the DirecTV app, much like the one that comes in other flavors.

The nomad Android app is coming soon - before you can recite the names of all the State Capitals and Presidents in alphabetical order.

#74 OFFLINE   Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

pfft! you take a bigger chance rooting your tablet with whatever flavor O/S you have to try and get google play and whatever else to work..

Agreed. Rooting and sideloading is not 100% safe. Have you ever thought "perhaps" there is a good reason the DTV APP is not yet available on some Tablets? "Perhaps" DTV has determined there are too many bugs in those tablets . "Perhaps" they do not want to deal with support on those tablets.

I have little doubt that the DTV app will support Tabs like the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire. The fact that it is not yet available tells me that DTV thinks it is not yet ready for release.......

#75 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

No.

It's the DirecTV app, much like the one that comes in other flavors.

The nomad Android app is coming soon - before you can recite the names of all the State Capitals and Presidents in alphabetical order.

That could be never. :(

:lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...