Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App for Android Tablets v1.1.3: Initial Release Discussion

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   mikek

mikek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

I still can't pad recordings that I set up using this app.

Can someone check if you can pad recordings?  I see the option, but it never stays after I set it to add 30 minutes.

I am using a 7 inch tab2, so maybe something on the screen is getting cut off?

Thanks for any help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   Tom M

Tom M

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

Having trouble with version 1.2.2 on my Galaxy Tab 10.1

App loads fine and can control both of my receivers (HR20 & HR21) but it won't pull the playlist from the HR20 (comes up the an error message of We were not able to access XXXX.) The remote control portion works fine so the app obviously can see the DVR and I have access set to "Allow" for all the options. I don't have Whole Home DVR but my understanding is that it's not needed for just simple access - plus it works fine on the HR21. If I go into settings for the app the IP address is correct (naturally since the remote feature works) so I'm currently at a loss as to what's happening.

ETA: I don't have the option to to share the playlist on either device yet it does work on the HR21.

Edited by Tom M, 09 June 2013 - 07:45 PM.

#143 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,295 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

I am not sure about the need for WHDVR. but the reason for the playlist is so that you can see your unified list and play it back on the receiver (TV) that is currently selected. If you are wanting to be able to watch your playlist on the tablet, you will need the GenieGo

www.directv.com/nomad

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#144 OFFLINE   Tom M

Tom M

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:55 PM

I am not sure about the need for WHDVR. but the reason for the playlist is so that you can see your unified list and play it back on the receiver (TV) that is currently selected. If you are wanting to be able to watch your playlist on the tablet, you will need the GenieGo

www.directv.com/nomad

It's more of a curiosity question at this point as I've got a Slingbox 350 I installed a couple of weeks ago for remote TV capability. Hopefully, at some point we'll at least be able to watch stuff on the local network using the basic app so I'd like to get full access working.

Edited by Tom M, 09 June 2013 - 07:57 PM.

#145 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,295 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

. Hopefully, at some point we'll at least be able to watch stuff on the local network using the basic app so I'd like to get full access working.

From the way things are going with the GenieGo, it is very unlikely that this is going to happen, at least soon. DirecTV is very focused now on the GenieGo, for both in-house and on the go streaming of the DVR playlist. you can however use Directv2PC to watch your playlist on a compatible PC

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#146 OFFLINE   Tom M

Tom M

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:24 PM

From the way things are going with the GenieGo, it is very unlikely that this is going to happen, at least soon. DirecTV is very focused now on the GenieGo, for both in-house and on the go streaming of the DVR playlist. you can however use Directv2PC to watch your playlist on a compatible PC

In that case I'd just stick with the Slingbox as I need it on a table so I can use it while I work out at home. I've used D2PC in the past and have been less than thrilled with it although it has more or less done the job. However the portability factor is what's needed now, thus, the Slingbox.

#147 OFFLINE   gregchak

gregchak

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:15 PM

yes, I finally figured it out, it is not intuitive. On the Home screen scroll the screen left and you will get the Customize Layout and Content Screen. Hit the plus button for a new screen. On add a module, add the Live TV Streaming module. Go back to the home screen and stream. There are quite a few channels to stream.

update: I just counted 53 channels to stream. This probably varies according to your package. I have the Entertainment package.

Wow! Thanks for the info. I mainly used the phone version for streaming live content. I was at a loss when I saw that live streaming was not there. You would think they would have made the streaming line one of the default panels rather than having to specifically add it. I never would have thought it would work like that. Thanks so much for the help. I guess I'll have to change my app review on play now. :-)

#148 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

pfft! you take a bigger chance rooting your tablet with whatever flavor O/S you have to try and get google play and whatever else to work..

Places like 3 other sites I visit --> let you at least DL & try the apk files if they work HOORAY if not SO be it..if it weren't for those wonderful sites on my kindle fire HD 7 I'd be denied..just gimme the apk and I'll try it!! heh..it works or it does not..plain & simple..

BING
Google Chrome
Dolphin Browser !! (you kidding? think i'm gonna use Silk? HAH!)
Dropbox
FireFox : Mozilla
Google Search
Google Calendar
Google Maps (yes it works via Wi fi, just not turn by turn that u need gps for)
Hotmail
Instagram
NOOK
NFL Mobile
NY Times (free version)
Y! Mail
YouTube

all of these shouldn't exist on a Kindle !!

and a couple of top video players not in the Amazon Store either..
as well as some games :)

In the short time I've had android, never have I seen an O/S segregate ITSELF on what you can or cannot play..feels like if I order a pizza pie the baker takes away 2 slices and says I cannot have them but I can have the rest of the pie..silly

and by the way the Direct TV tablet app doesn't work on Kindle Fire HD 7 via 4.0 ICS..non rooted tablet..install of the APK works but it crashes when you launch it

Update..8/6/2013

I gave in... I have officially jumped out of the Amazon BOX and have since rooted my Kindle to take full advantage of Google Play store...

and the app does not work on rooted tablet using 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich ..guess all the love goes to 4.1 Jelly Bean or better

Edited by Santi360HD, 06 August 2013 - 02:24 PM.

#149 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:33 PM

The app has updated

#150 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:28 PM

I'm not sure which tablets this is compatible with... I have a Nexus 7 (2012) and it shows not compatible.

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

#151 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:53 PM

I'm not sure which tablets this is compatible with... I have a Nexus 7 (2012) and it shows not compatible.

Change your qemu.sf.lcd_density to 160 and clear play store data and then the app will be downloadable.

That is what I did on my galaxy player 4.0.

#152 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

Change your qemu.sf.lcd_density to 160 and clear play store data and then the app will be downloadable.

That is what I did on my galaxy player 4.0.

I'm not sure I want to be changing settings I don't know anything about, to get this app. Does anyone know where you can d/l the apk and side load it?

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

#153 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

I'm not sure I want to be changing settings I don't know anything about, to get this app. Does anyone know where you can d/l the apk and side load it?

You don't need to side load it. If your tablet is rooted , setting qemu.sf.lcd_density to 160 in the build.prop will fool the device into thinking it has a 10 inch screen.

Changing the setting is safe.

I did that mod on my 4 inch galaxy player and I can download the app via play store.

Try seeing if the nexus 7 forums at xda developers has a link to the apk.

Edited by dorfd1, 19 August 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#154 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,102 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

I sideloaded the original version on my Nook Color (CyanogenMod 10.1) and it works fine.  The changelog for the new version says it adds Android 4.3, while my tablet has 4.2.2.  I tried changing build.prop (the qemu.sf.lcd_density line did not exist so I added it).  I rebooted and Play Store still does not display this app.  I guess I'll stick with the earlier version unless someone can provide a direct link the the updated app.

#155 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:29 AM

I sideloaded the original version on my Nook Color (CyanogenMod 10.1) and it works fine. The changelog for the new version says it adds Android 4.3, while my tablet has 4.2.2. I tried changing build.prop (the qemu.sf.lcd_density line did not exist so I added it). I rebooted and Play Store still does not display this app. I guess I'll stick with the earlier version unless someone can provide a direct link the the updated app.

Nook color has a lower resolution. Try setting qemu.sf.lcd_density to 100. You also have to clear playstore data and reboot.

Qemu.sf.lcd_density has to be set to a DPI value equal to or higher than a 10.1 inch screen for this mod to work.

#156 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,102 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:15 PM

Thanks!

#157 OFFLINE   mikek

mikek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

Can someone set a recording with padding using this app and let me know if it works?  I am wondering if something is getting cut off since I am using a 7 inch tablet.

I can set the recording, but I cannot pad it.  The option shows up, but it doesn't get set for the recording.

Thanks.

#158 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,295 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

Can someone set a recording with padding using this app and let me know if it works?  I am wondering if something is getting cut off since I am using a 7 inch tablet.

I can set the recording, but I cannot pad it.  The option shows up, but it doesn't get set for the recording.

Thanks.

IIRC, padding only works for HDDVRs via the app

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#159 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 868 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

I don't know if this app is being discussed in another topic and I'm missing it, but the Android tablet app was updated Thursday. Looks and works great. 7" tablets now supported.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DBSTalk mobile app

#160 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

wow !! better late then never!!  I never thought I'd see this app EVER work..

I posted on the topic a few pages back earlier this year..1st time I wasn't rooted then I became rooted.

This Works !!! on Kindle Fire HD 7, with Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) 4.0.3 via Kindle OS 7.4.6

and no restrictions like some other streaming apps because I'm rooted..

Downloaded it from the Google Play store (had it wish listed still) and it installed without issue. for those of you still left on 7" ICS android tablets…gather around those of you who haven't flocked like sheep to iPad or newer android tablets just because they're new!!!! this is fully functional..

Edited by Santi360HD, 24 November 2013 - 03:46 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...